• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Name Undesided...

or2ak

Arctic Warrior
Still thinking of a name for my new friend. I got him/her 2 days ago.
I don.t know what kind of corn this is so if anyone knows please tell me LOL

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 213
I'm torn between saying it could either be a really dark natural corn...or possibly a blood red....I'm torn between the two..very very cute snake :0)

welcome, beautiful snake. I would say it looks like a classic/normal to me, dont think its a bloodred. I'm not super good at IDing morphs all the time though..

Congrats, on getting your new li'l friend!

Looks like a Normal/Classic.

As far as Bloodred (as a suggested possibility).. I can say, with 100% certainty, that it is not a Bloodred.;)

Pasodama said:
Congrats, on getting your new li'l friend!

Looks like a Normal/Classic.

As far as Bloodred (as a suggested possibility).. I can say, with 100% certainty, that it is not a Bloodred.;)
Agreed- Bloods usually have more bald heads at that age and have diffused sides- that guy has some of the clearest deffinition between saddles and ground color I've seen. I'd say classic.

He's still quite awesome though. Can't wait to see him grow up- congrats on getting him. ;)

Normal is good enough for me LOL I didnt think he would be anything special since I got him from a pet store hehe

One thing I'm concerned about tho, I havnt seen him eat. I put some crickets in the cage but still no sign of him eating. How long should I wait till I get worried?

or2ak said:
Normal is good enough for me LOL I didnt think he would be anything special since I got him from a pet store hehe

One thing I'm concerned about tho, I havnt seen him eat. I put some crickets in the cage but still no sign of him eating. How long should I wait till I get worried?

Who told you to feed him crickets?
You feed corns with mice.
Yours will be eating pinkies.

You could either go live or use frozen and thawed
and you can get them at most petstores or order them in bulk online.

zombieinvasiontm said:

The idiot at the petstore told me LOL As thats what they were feeding him there. I knew I would be feeding him pinkies, just didnt think it would be this soon.. He is really small. Pinky is bigger then his head I think.

Classics are still very adorable. And as it was mentioned, the poor thing won't eat crickets. It's a mousie breakfast for them :) There are a Lot of feeding threads over in the other sections of the board to get you started on how, how often, and what to expect with the food situation. And good luck!

It's a lovely little critter and am sure you two will get along wonderfully :)

Personal opinon here but.. *notes pet stores Really need to tell people Everything before selling them live animals! Really.. thats rather irresponsible if they didn't even inform you what the little guy needs to eat! You do know that they need some sort of heat source too really? Definitly do your bookwork. :) I'm sure you two will be very happy with each other

Keep safe,

-Crow

Crowskin said:
Classics are still very adorable. And as it was mentioned, the poor thing won't eat crickets. It's a mousie breakfast for them :) There are a Lot of feeding threads over in the other sections of the board to get you started on how, how often, and what to expect with the food situation. And good luck!

It's a lovely little critter and am sure you two will get along wonderfully :)

Personal opinon here but.. *notes pet stores Really need to tell people Everything before selling them live animals! Really.. thats rather irresponsible if they didn't even inform you what the little guy needs to eat! You do know that they need some sort of heat source too really? Definitly do your bookwork. :) I'm sure you two will be very happy with each other

Keep safe,

-Crow

I did some research online prior to purchasing him/her. The main reason I decided on a corn was because of my young children (ages 7 & 4) Corns seem to be the favored docile and gentle for children.
And thus looking for a corn snake forum to join to learn as much as possible. This Isn't the 1st snake I owned but it is the 1st corn... I use to have a king (yellow banded with red eyes) but that was many yrs ago. Up until 4yrs ago I had a 5ft Savannah Monitor Lizard. Raised that little monster from baby.
That was by far my most favorite pet.
Yes, I know they need heat
:santa:

zombieinvasiontm said:

Ok I went and got him/her a pinkie. I will remove the crickets tomorrow and then give him his new dinner. This does seem large for his head tho..
:shrugs:

he/she should be fine as long as its not huge. Snakes have 4 different sections in their head. their skull and jaw are split in the middle so they can get their prey down easier (If I read correctly) as long as the mouse is about 1.5x th gurth of your snake you should be fine

maybe it is a good idea to by a book and get information before bying the snake :punch: and cornsnakes are not good to be a toy for childrens.

But very good to learn childresn to have respect for nature.

BlackSun said:
maybe it is a good idea to by a book and get information before bying the snake :punch: and cornsnakes are not good to be a toy for childrens.

But very good to learn childresn to have respect for nature.

I did buy a book prior to the snake :cool:
But the book only mentions basics, Thought I would join this forum to get more personal experiences, ideas & stories from live people all over the world.

I never mentioned "toy for children".
I said:
or2ak said:
((The main reason I decided on a corn was because of my young children (ages 7 & 4) Corns seem to be the favored docile and gentle for children.))
*Docile & Gentle* being the key words.
I want my kids to be able to handle the snake and not have to be to worried of being bit.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post. I never consider any pets "toys".. They are always part of my family :eek:

or2ak,

I very much respect the fact that you got your own information and are taking a very informed route on owning your corn :) Very good. I'm sorry if my wording made it sound like I thought you knew nothing about them. Not what I intended.

It just frustrates me how uninformed and how very Not helpful some of these pet stores are! I mean, cripes I sell crystals and things like that. And it would be rather irresponsible if I didn't know the proper names of them, or where they were from and that wouldn't it? So why does it seem a lot (not all mind you, but a lot) of pet stores know very little to nothing about the animals they are selling? Especially when it comes to the welfare of the little critters.

Ah well, lol. Just my venty two cents on that.

Honestly though, :cheers: Cheers on taking the proper steps and bookwork. :) Definitly hope more people just getting corns take the same approch :)

Good luck with the Forums and remember to post more pictures at some point! *laughs*

-Crow

or2ak said:
I did buy a book prior to the snake :cool:
But the book only mentions basics,

one of the basics is "cornsnakes do not eating insects, they eat rodents". Your disinformation is negligent an live-treathening for the little snake. Sorry, but this makes my sad.

But now it is tom late and we have to see how can we help you or better our snake.

the best thing would be that you say all the facts e.g. vivarium setting, temperature etc.

So we can find errors and can help you. So your snake will be happy and you will be happy. And maybe these story have a good end.

It's great to see someone in Alaska with a snake! I lived in Anchorage from '76 -'82. Loved it!!

Hatchlings start out on pinks, you'd be amazed by what those little bodies can handle. Make sure the pink isn't more than 1 1/2 time the girth of your baby.

After glancing at your website, I think Aurora would be a good name. Or Denali, Koyana, Kodiak, Inukshuk, Iditarod, Kobuk, Ptarmigan or any other nifty Alaskan name!

You've come to the right place for any help with your corn, which is a lovely little classic/normal. Most members here will offer supportive advice without making you feel bad about any mistakes along the way.
Kathy Love's 'Cornsnakes, the comprehensive owner's guide is highly reccommended, I know I've read mine from cover to cover many times. The FAQ sections on each sub-forum are invaluable, especially if you use the search function to have a look at any relevant threads, then ask specific questions as they arise.
(BUT, frequent photos of your snake are mandatory!)

Back