• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Name Undesided...

By the way, getting your children to learn to handle the snake as it grows is a brilliant idea. They can learn how soft and smooth reptile skin is, learn the 'do's and don'ts', (try to remember most snakes are head-shy, and will pull away from being touched on the top of the head, which could startle a child), they will love seeing the shed skins, which will keep dried out in a tub to show how the snake grows, and if you weigh the snake monthly they can chart its' progress :)

Just to mention here a moment, Or2ak mentioned:

"This Isn't the 1st snake I owned but it is the 1st corn... I use to have a king (yellow banded with red eyes) but that was many yrs ago. Up until 4yrs ago I had a 5ft Savannah Monitor Lizard. Raised that little monster from baby."

So lets not assume they know nothing about owning a snake. By the sounds of it, it was just a small misunderstanding and Or2ak handled the misinformation very well and corrected it promptly. :) We are all entitled to a few mistakes, especially when the information we get is from people who -should- know, aka pet store owners.

And I believe Or2ak Also mentioned that they knew the corn would be on mice eventually.

Sorry, not meaning to cause any stir, just was worried by the sound of a few comments people were assuming neglict and ignorance, with a simple mistake by an owner who sounds like they are trying to do everything in the best interest of their new critter :)

-Crow

Or2ak, I totally understand getting a docile snake for children. My daughter is 3 years old and has loved snakes for at least a year. Not long ago, I decided to get a corn snake for her. I'm the primary caregiver of course, and I LOVE the snake. She is loving having the snake, and so am I. She is being taught young to be gentle and how to care for a snake. She loves to watch him eat, too. More power to you and your family. :)

Hi, me again :)

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, life gets in the way sometimes of the WWW LOL

I wanted to clarify a couple things from the earlier post.
I have had snakes in the past but none were babies as this current one is, so when pet store told me crickets for the first 2 months of his life, I got crickets. Also, its what they had in the tanks at the store.

I took the crickets out of the tank (as suggested from an earlier post) and placed a pinkie in there. He/she didn't eat it. It was there for about 5 hrs and then I took it out. 3 days ago I put another pinkie in and he didn't eat it, although he/she did investigate it. Same as before, I took it out after about 5hrs. (was told to do this so it wouldn't get nasty and old)
Here is a vid of my corn investigating the pinkie...

My Corn Snake

So when do I get worried on "not eating"?

Tank is set up nice, I have a hide on the hot side and one one the cool side. Water is right in the middle. Lots of stuff to crawl on and very friendly outside of the tank also. Loves to be held and likes to hide in the palm of my hand. I check the temps at least 5 times a day to make sure its ok.

Eric

:rolleyes:

I would sugguest taking the snake out and putting him into something like a tuppherware or another container and try feeding him in there. It might stress him out a little at first but it will help him realize "oh its time to eat" I feed all of my snakes in their own little seprate container, when i put them in they all get excited (one actually starts hissing! LOL) feeding them in a seprate container is also better because it will prevent your snake from ingesting any bedding while he is consuming his meal.

Hope this helps,
Nomed

I agree with Nomed about feeding your snake in another container. It just makes life so much easier and less complex for your snakie. You don't want him to think Every time you reach into his viv, you may be dropping food. It could lead to the little guy/gal also biting at you unintentionally. (well.. only with the intention of food that is..)

I had recieved a corn that just Refused to eat for me. For a very very long time. I had been talking with a vet (who has owned corns before, and is considered exotic) and eventually came to force feeding the poor guy for over a year and a half. I tried all sorts of tricks with him. Braining, washing, pinky heads.. everything.

What finally worked with my guy was Fast thawing. Dump the little pinkie into a very hot cup of water. Even if it cooks it a little it sometimes works. Now my guy is quite healthy, never misses a feeding, and is growing like a week.

(just don't intentionally try to cook the meat. Let it sit in there till it's rather warm, and it's still firm. I usually give it about a minute or so depending on the size. For a little pinkie? I figure 30 seconds would be plenty)

Don't be scared if it smells a wee bit funky, er.. well funkier then normal I would guess. *laughs* When they are real hot they smell gross! Then let it cool for a few (don't want to burn your snakes mouth) until you can touch it without feeling it very hot. Then pop it in the small feeding container with your snake and let it explore.

Again, am not an expert but this is what worked for me. It takes a Lot of patience to get a stubborn snake into the habit of eating, but I find once you break him out of it, they become great feeders. Mine never misses a meal now, and all his natural instincts have come out. He bites and strikes and even wraps around the poor thawed mousie :)

Also listen to a lot of the other posts (listen? heh) on here. Especially in the feeding problem threads. Lots of good information here if you look, and eventually something is bound to work!

Just don't give up :)

Keep safe

-Crow

Back