• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Names?

Golden

Owns a Corn
How did everyone come up with their name for their babies?

Random? Pre-planned? Or what you thought suited?

Just curious, really. :grin01:

You have got to ask the snake what its name is. :grin01:
Really though, I have chosen names that suited the snake (ie personality and appearance). For example, my amazon tree boa's name is Gaboon. He looks similar to, and is ferocious like a gaboon viper. That's just how I do it.

Once upon a time all of our reptiles had musician names-Beethoven,Elvis,Iggy Marley.
We started that way with the corns-Pink Floyd and Axle.But my kids have helped so we have names like Penguin and Sparky and our butters, Peanut and Apple. The last one I got to name-Salmissra after a character in a book series. She was the Serpent Queen. No rhyme or reason, I guess. Just so its not snow a, b and c :)

I named my snakes based on sort of random things I guess. Bobo came from this project I was working on at work where one of the files had a lady in it with the nickname Bobo, but her last name was Valdez. So the name Bobo Valdez, for some reason or other, just sounded hilarious to me. At the same time I was working on this project, I got my snake and when I first saw her, that is the name that popped into my head.

Now Skizzard's name comes from his head pattern. If you look closely, it looks like a pair of scissors. Kind of like those plastic ones that kids use in school. So I thought of how I used to joke around and call scissors....skissors, and that's how he got his name. I almost got a snow, if it was a boy, he would be snowball and if I got a girl snow, I would call her snowflake. Not very creative, but that's what I would name my snows, if I had any.

I'm a mythology and linguistics freak, so most of my snakes are named for mythological beings or other language words.

Hecate - Goddess of Magic, and is represented by a serpent

Diablo - He has 'devilish' eyes

Freyja - Norse goddess

Schnee - German word for 'snow', also a snow corn

Ungeheuer - German for 'monster', mean Okeetee snake

Akhmet & Sekhmet - Egyptian Sun god and goddess for my pair of Sunkissed corns

Neska - Snake garbled around for my female Miami

Ochre & Ferric - Scientific word for Iron and an iron bearing mineral for my Baird's Ratsnakes who're turning a rusty color.

Uther Pendragon - King Arthur's supposed father for my kingsnake

Etc etc. =)

bubbles - just randomly thought hang on people are scared of snakes (for some strange stupid reason~) so i chose the most harmless name i can think of.

Riley - Just randomly thought of it really

Sammy - named after my ant.

Lucifer - names after the devil due to when i got it it like eat evil lol.

The beast - because she was so cute and just though meh might as well

Snuggles - scorpion scaled snuggles Na (reason why i names it snuggles a nice friendly name for something so evil looking.)

For me, the names are just easier than Amel1, Anery 3 etc. I usually name the snake after observing it for a few days and pick something based on color and attitude, but not always. I'm thinking about naming my new Trans Pecos, "Sagebrush" and "Tumbleweed"! :grin01:

I picked my name based on its apperance - I have a amel so I thought Twizzler was appropriate. He kind of looks like the licorice.

Like Misty I'm into mythology, I love myths!! There are gods ( Poseidon, Apollo, and Athena), monsters (Medusa, Hydra) and other characters (Cassiopiea) really a lot of good names in there! I pretty much stick with the greek names though

My snakes' names are usually people names that have some association with their morphs, or letters in the morph names. I usually pick them out before the snake is delivered. I don't put a lot of thought into it, and some mean nothing at all; they don't know their names anyway.

'05 Wild-Type: Abigail
'05 Anery: Poison
'05 Hypo-Lavs: Hal, Helen
'05 Blizzards: Bill, Beatrix (a little nod to 'Kill Bill')
'02 Coral Snows: Cornelius, Corina
'05 Lavender: Lil
'05 Amel Motley: Melbourne
'03 Ghosts: Gil, Gwen, Gelinda, Galadriel
'05 Caramel Motley: Carmen
'05 Lavender Blood: Vladmir
'05 Hypo-Diffuseds: Holden, Hedda, and Hydi
'05 Pewters: Paul, Paula
'05 Abbott's Okeetees: Roger, Okra Winfrey (unlikely to be permanent name)

I like names that have something to do with the individual, so that they're an easy association.

I also like to give them names that call up a pleasant memory, like naming them after a song or composer I like, or a character in a movie/book/show I like. The bonus of doing so is that every time you are cleaning/feeding/handling them, or just thinking about them for whatever reason, it brings back all kinds of good memories. :)

typo

Some just fit the snake's personality (Gitzey is a sweetheart, Narcissus went crazy staring at his water dish when I first got him, Lilly & Precious the "lovey dovey" amel sisters). Some fit the color (Ember & Helios - sunglow motley bandeds, Heinz & Parkay - butters, Winter - glacier, Sunkist - orange hypo, Red - okeetee phase). Some were tributes (Pyretta & Bacchus, Tripp, Ville) Some were pattern associated (Stripe the motley-stripe, Slingshot - his head pattern is a perfect slingshot marking, Dot - motley) and the others, I have no clue where they came from (Misery & Pain - the bloods, Lorelei & Harlequin - the charcoal sisters). And some were all of the above (Lillith & Cane - Mexican Black Kings)

With my pairs, I normally try to keep them with "pair" names.

Last edited:
Much like everyone else I choose something appropriate. The snake often decides it's own name. I name a snake only after I've handled it for about a week and something about it's, it's disposition, unique exploring habits, etc...

Nippy, my first snake was a timid hatchling, she bit me three times in my first attempt to pick her up. Each time my hand fled like a scared mouse, finally I did handle her and she ended up curled in my pocket all day. Ergo, I named her nippy. However, she is much more docile now a days, but she'll always be my feisty first snake.

For mine i go online and look up baby names, usally spanish or afrcian and pick the ones i like:

Rico-Female Amel-Noble Ruler and rich/Spanish

Corazon-Female Creamsicle-Heart/Spanish (heart on her head, kinda)

Abu-Male Abbott's Okeetee-Father/African(only male)

My Cal King was named Onyx by my son because of the black on him. I named my snow corn Snow because, well, because I couldn't think of anything else at the moment. I started referring to her as "the snow" and it just kind of stuck. My amel is named Sunset because her colors reminded me of a sunset.

Taceas said:
Ochre & Ferric - Scientific word for Iron and an iron bearing mineral for my Baird's Ratsnakes who're turning a rusty color.

Our Baird's are named for anything silver; metals, substances or mythological connections to metals. Mercury, Selene, Hephaestus, Ajana and Minerva. Some are little more far fetched than others, but all can be associated with silver in some way. I may use Iris for the rainbow of color that comes out as they mature.

Our other snakes get names in a variety of ways.

J.D. - Juris Doctor, a lawyer's degree. I thought it would be cute to name a snake after a lawyer, now it's just hack.

Glutton - she named herself. Always hungry, always cruising around for food.

Ansel - named this charcoal after Ansel Adams.

Lili von Shtupp - named in honor of their breeders (Serpwidgets and Hurley), as the three of us are "Blazing Saddles" fans.

I'll probably name my next female "Snake Mary", a name which is derived (like my dog and one of my beardies) from Steely Dan; I'll probably name my next male something like "YouBetterProveYourselfAsABreederOrYouAreKingsnakeFood".

I'm still working on that one, though.

regards,
jazz

I name all my animals with the help of baby name books. I compile lists and go on about a single name for ages... But every once in awhile something just pops in my mind and sticks. Like the last snake I got, the new reverse (which I will have pictures of tomorrow night) the name Tiki just seemed right for her. So Tiki she is and will remain. Until I think up something better. ;)

hana

I love all of those names, I'm most likely going to name mine something that fits after a few days or after my most favorite singer. :grin01: Or some random lettering that sounds good.

I like the idea of naming after myths and looking in baby name books. I adore mythology and books, maybe even naming after one of my favorite characters in hope of it being strong like the character. I've heard that names also determine outcome of personalities and such with human babies, snakes may be a whole different deal. :grin01:

I really can't wait to get my first corn, and I love all of the names you have (as mentioned before) :)

Back