• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Addition, Wild Caught

Blotch counts are from neck to anal plate(s) or base of tail. Your snake has 32 dorsal blotches. Texas rat snake.

Hi Mark. The book I'm quoting from is on google and I can't cut and paste so I was a little lazy when typing out the original quote. It should have read:

"Their combined dorsal body and tail blotches number 44-59 (average 51), and the combined belly (ventral) and undertail (subcaudal) scales average 282."

This is in reference to the Slowinski's corn snake.

In reference to the Texas rat snake (in comparison to the Texas corn snake) the book states:

"The juvenile Texas rat snake also lacks the dark undertail stripes, and the dark stripe behind its eye fails to reach backward past the end of the mouthline."

And located futher in the book under the listing for the Texas rat snake:

"...young Texas rat snakes, which have only 27 to 37 middorsal body blotches that are four to six scales long."

The book does not mention if the number of saddle markings on the Texas rat snake are body and tail combined. Further, the book makes no mention of the juvenile Texas rat snake having the spear point markings on the crown only stating:

"On the pale-colored crown, which is only a shade darker than the light gray body, a dark bar crosses the forehead just in front of the eyes. A similar bar extends obliquely backward from each eye, almost reaching the end of the mouthline, while a pair of dark streaks runs back from the rear of the crown to join the first neck blotch."

This book excerpt can be found here: http://books.google.com/books?id=qR...0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=texas corn snake&f=false

Crowley's crown markings appear to be an incomplete spear point at best. Also, I'm not sure yet whether or not the eye bands extend past the end of the mouth line, I'll have to pay more attention next feeding. I'll try to get photos too.

Thank you, everyone, for your help and input.

Congrats on the find.... I only find gopher snakes glossies, garters and cali kings when in cali.... And a hand full of different rattlers.... Im looking for a rubber boa . People say they live in washington state but havent seen one in the wild. And i try hard to find them but only garters in washington.

Hi Mark. The book I'm quoting from is on google and I can't cut and paste so I was a little lazy when typing out the original quote. It should have read:

"Their combined dorsal body and tail blotches number 44-59 (average 51), and the combined belly (ventral) and undertail (subcaudal) scales average 282."

This is in reference to the Slowinski's corn snake.

In reference to the Texas rat snake (in comparison to the Texas corn snake) the book states:

"The juvenile Texas rat snake also lacks the dark undertail stripes, and the dark stripe behind its eye fails to reach backward past the end of the mouthline."

And located futher in the book under the listing for the Texas rat snake:

"...young Texas rat snakes, which have only 27 to 37 middorsal body blotches that are four to six scales long."

The book does not mention if the number of saddle markings on the Texas rat snake are body and tail combined. Further, the book makes no mention of the juvenile Texas rat snake having the spear point markings on the crown only stating:

"On the pale-colored crown, which is only a shade darker than the light gray body, a dark bar crosses the forehead just in front of the eyes. A similar bar extends obliquely backward from each eye, almost reaching the end of the mouthline, while a pair of dark streaks runs back from the rear of the crown to join the first neck blotch."

This book excerpt can be found here: http://books.google.com/books?id=qR...0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=texas corn snake&f=false

Crowley's crown markings appear to be an incomplete spear point at best. Also, I'm not sure yet whether or not the eye bands extend past the end of the mouth line, I'll have to pay more attention next feeding. I'll try to get photos too.

Thank you, everyone, for your help and input.
These two site may help you more than my rambling.

www.ratsnakezone.com/ratsnake-information/74.html

www.kingsnake.com/ratsnake/texas.htm

Having kept texas rats in the past I'm sure that is what you have and the sites listed above can confirm that for you. Also, check out this great post by Floof...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126131&highlight=Kisatchie

With her nice and clear photos of Slowinski's you should be able to see this is not what you have. You have a very pretty Texas rat snake.

Btw..I'm waiting on Floof to ship me Slowinski's baby #3. Can't wait to see him. :)

Oh yeah...unless told other wise you always only count the blotches from neck to where the tail starts. Never count the tail blotches/rings.
Texas rats should have between 25 and 48 dorsal blotches and Kisatchies have about 46 dorsal blotches on average.

Oh yeah...unless told other wise you always only count the blotches from neck to where the tail starts. Never count the tail blotches/rings.
Texas rats should have between 25 and 48 dorsal blotches and Kisatchies have about 46 dorsal blotches on average.

Oops..Texas rats should have between 25 and 38 dorsal blotches. :) I think I count about 32 on yours from neck to base of tail.

Congrats on the find.... I only find gopher snakes glossies, garters and cali kings when in cali.... And a hand full of different rattlers.... Im looking for a rubber boa . People say they live in washington state but havent seen one in the wild. And i try hard to find them but only garters in washington.

Thank you. I've lived all my life in Oklahoma and Texas and despite all the time I've spent in the woods and fields, I've never seen a rattler in the wild. A few copperheads and a couple of water moccasins are the only venomous snakes I've ever come across.

It's definitely a rat snake, and where you're at in TX would I'd say...hmmm...lol...TX rat snake. It doesn't look (to me) like a Kisatchie or a Great Plains Rat...

A w/c one would make a great start for a TX rat morph project :)

Back