• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New here. My intro.....

7Dseven

Hi. Just joined the forum 2 days ago. I was looking online for some emergency help and found this forum. I have already gotten some wonderful help. Thanks to the wonderful advice I received, my weakest little rescue looks like he is gonna make it. So, first off.... thanks!!!

Now, me. I am a stay at home mom with 4 great kids. I am taking online college classes in wildlife and conservation and photography. We have always taken in rescues. Dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, and even fish. Last year we saved and raised some tadpoles. That was fun. The backyard was alive for months. The kids wouldnt let us mow all summer for fear of hurting one. LOL
Cant say that I was ever that big into reptiles. But I have an 8 yr old son who is. He plans to be the next Steve Irwin. We heard about this corn snake that was born from a science project at school and raised for 2 years by a teenage boy who left her when he went off to college. His dad had no clue how to care for her and kept her for a few months before we met him and he gave her to us.
1. "Bindi" was 2 1/2 when we took her in and had only just started to be fed fuzzies. After doing some research we found she was under fed and we weaned her up to mice. That was over a year ago. She is now very healthy and happy.
2. Our second rescue was in March of this year. "Allie" was apparently well cared for till her owners were evicted and she was left behind. The landlord found her about 2 weeks later and gave her to us. According to the landlords info, "Allie" is about 4 yrs old. She is a very beautiful, happy snake. Was rather on the thin side, but is eating very well.

3 & 4.
My next 2 rescues came from a home where the owner died and they were left sitting till a distant relative came to settle the estate. I do have birth info on them, as the original owner bought them as hatchlings. They both turned 1 in May. They were together in a ten gallon tank when we brought them home but that seemed so small so I moved them to a 30 gallon but did let them stay together for now. They are both very healthy beautiful snakes. One (Ice) has a very vorasious appetite. The other (Belle) has a more moderate appetite. We have only had them since the first of April.

5,6, & 7.
Our latest rescues came from a home that was raided by the health department Tuesday. The home was filthy and full of pets, everything nasty and all of them sick to one degree or another. The owners had 3 corns and 3 boas. Among other things. Around 8pm I was called by a friend to come get the corns. (I dont know who took the rest) They are supposed to be all 3 males about 2 yrs old. The largest is about 24 inches, the smallest not quite 20 inches. All are severely dehydrated and malnurished. The owners told authorities that the snakes all ate 9 days ago. But also said she fed them once a week. Doubt that. The spine shows in all of them and one barely moves and is very stiff. They were in a 50 gallon tank together with 1 hide and 1 water dish. Nothing else. The water dish was bone dry and full of dried poop. The bedding was thick and nasty and smelled horrible. Full of poo and skin. Not just skin from these snakes either. Large skin from a much bigger snake. Also in the bedding was old dried up eggs (yup eggs) and some mite poison plastic and some plastic trash and a childs toy. The first thing we did was wash the water bowl and give them fresh water. They went right to it and drank for a long long time!! Well the little one had to be placed near the water but he too drank alot. We placed them in seperate plastic containers while we cleaned their tank and checked them out for health issues etc. We have named them Pepper Jack, Cheddar, and Chance. We removed about 3 inches of old skin from Pepper Jack's tail which was left from his last shed. He still has some flakes around 1 eye and a thin strip down his body but we havent been able to remove it yet. We fed him 2 pinkys yesterday with no problem. I think he should be just fine. Cheddar looks like he will be ok as well. He also ate 2 pinkys yesterday. After wiping them down and checking them out we returned Cheddar and Pepper to their newly cleaned tank last night. They are perking right up and I think both will recover great. Matter of fact while I was holding Cheddar and my hubby was putting Pepper back into the tank, Cheddar struck my husbands hand. A little attitude there. So, yea, I think they will be just fine. Hope the biting isnt a regular thing though. LOL None of the others bite. Lucky I guess.
The little guy, Chance, is still seperate and will remain that way. He was just soo badly malnurished and dehydrated. Much worse than the other 2. He is still so weak and lethargic but at least today we were able to get him to eat a pinky. He is also taking Repta Aid which is support for malnourishment and dehydration in reptiles. He is perking up but still doesnt move much, just stays where you lay him but is now moving his head more. This afternoon he started doing his tongue! Yea! He is checking things out! I think the owner just dropped live mice in the tank. I think Chance lost the battle over food more and more and the other 2 grew while he didnt. I think food was few and far between so they fought for what they could get. Looking at Chance, I cant imagine when was the last time he ate. His growth may either be stunted or maybe he really isnt 2 yrs old. He is just soo small and thin. He is much smaller than my 1 yr old corn that looks just like him.

Well thats us so far. I may wind up with more next week. :eek1: A friend called today and said he knows this guy who has 6 snakes he is trying to sell. He told this mutual friend that he is tired of them and if they dont sell he is letting them all go. He has 3 types of corns, 2 milksnakes and a hog nose. I dont know if they are natural to the area or captive born or what. I cant let him just chunk them out like trash. So if it comes to it, I may be taking in more. At least temporarily. LOL

Here is my latest rescues.
Their first drink, and a pic of each when we first came home.
Think they are a creamsicle, a miami phase, and a snow.

Shannon

Attachments

• Chance.jpg
    Chance.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Cheddar.jpg
    Cheddar.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 85
  • First drink.jpg
    First drink.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Pepper Jack.jpg
    Pepper Jack.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 82
Wow! You are a special woman! Bravo to you! I hope you find some great homes for them..they are beautiful, malnourished but beautiful! Oh and WELCOME!

My other snakes

Here are pics of my other corns.
Bindi - anerythristic
Allie - amelanistic
Belle - unsure, told she was a "sunkissed"
Ice - a snow

Attachments

• Bindi.jpg
    Bindi.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Allie.jpg
    Allie.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Belle.jpg
    Belle.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Ice.jpg
    Ice.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 76
Well, yay Shannon! Thanks for rescuing, I hope you find room for everybody.
Rescuing and fostering is how we ended up with 3 dogs in my house.
So, you'll call it "Shannon's Cornsnake Sanctuary"?

I couldn't imagine how someone could treat an animal with such disrespect, it makes me ill. On the other hand, its nice to see that there are people out there with big enough hearts to try and rectify the wrongs made by such people. Kudos to you and the best of luck with all of your animals! Oh....and welcome!

Josh

Sanctuary? Its getting that way fast.

Well, yay Shannon! Thanks for rescuing, I hope you find room for everybody.
Rescuing and fostering is how we ended up with 3 dogs in my house.
So, you'll call it "Shannon's Cornsnake Sanctuary"?

Yea,I may have to do that. LOL I have snakes in my living room, dinning room and in the kids bedroom so far. If more find their way here, I will have to build some custom tanks. I can still have a good tank size but have 4 or 5 in the space of the one 55 gallon tank and stand. I'll call it my snake entertainment center. :rofl:

Thanks again!

Just as a side note. You should really try to get all of the snakes into their own cages. I know they may "seem" happy but they need their space.

Thank you for taking on so many animals. It's good to know that there are people out there who care.

Just as a side note. You should really try to get all of the snakes into their own cages. I know they may "seem" happy but they need their space.

Thank you for taking on so many animals. It's good to know that there are people out there who care.

The ones together, are supposidly 2 females together and the other are 2 males together. As they both originated via a reptile store, hopefully the person who probed them knew what they were doing. I am not 100% safe, but hopefully they will be fine until I can make arrangments for a cabinet of tanks. If I detect any problems before then, I will fall back on the rubbermaid system until I can make better arrangements.
I guess by happy I mean they show no aggression towards one another. They curl up together in the same hide even though they each have one. Maybe because they are younger. I dont know. But I do plan to work on it.
Thanks!!!

This is Ice and Belle. They turned 1 in May '08. I picked up their cave to remove Belles shed skin and found them like this. I had to take a pic, they just looked cute together. :eek:)

Attachments

• Belle and Ice.jpg
    Belle and Ice.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 46
Sharing the same hide has nothing to do with them being "happy" or "comfortable" with each other. Usually two snakes will both prefer the same hide at the same time because it's the only one at the exact temperature they desire.

Welcome, and kudos to you for caring! It never fails to horrify me how inhumane some humans can be. It's heartening to hear/read about people like yourself who try to make things better.

Thank you!

Welcome, and kudos to you for caring! It never fails to horrify me how inhumane some humans can be. It's heartening to hear/read about people like yourself who try to make things better.

Thank you for the nice welcome!!
Shannon :eek:)

welcome,nice job on the rescue i've been following your guys progress since i saw your thread for help. glad see they are doing well.

Welcome and well done.Its great to know there are people who care. Serena my 9 month old oketee female came to me as she had got too big. She is only 2ft 6 inches. they had brought another hatchling already, do they not realise this will grow too. Hope all goes okay with your latest rescues. their story made me want to cry. How can anyone treat snakes like that.
Philippa
Serena - Oketee female, Zippy - Oketee male, Monty - anerythristic type b female, Queenie - Snow Female, Amber - Amel het butter Female and Candy - 08 hatchling not sure if she is a snow or a ghost.

welcome,nice job on the rescue i've been following your guys progress since i saw your thread for help. glad see they are doing well.

Thanks! The larger 2 are doing very well. Still thin but responding well to very small pinkys. The smallest little guy is having a harder time. He is coming along. Much better than we had hoped but he still has a long way to go. At supposidly 2 yrs old, if we can get him to eat a very small pinky, it still leaves a very noticable lump in his tummy. Scarey. He should be able to handle much bigger food. Poor little guy. He has had to fight for any meals he has gotten. He cant have any distractions or he backs off and wont eat. He is soo used to having his meals stolen by his bigger brothers. I have a 1 yr old corn that is longer and much thicker than this little guy. But give him a few months, and I think he will be fine. :eek:)

Thank you

Welcome and well done.Its great to know there are people who care. Serena my 9 month old oketee female came to me as she had got too big. She is only 2ft 6 inches. they had brought another hatchling already, do they not realise this will grow too. Hope all goes okay with your latest rescues. their story made me want to cry. How can anyone treat snakes like that.
Philippa
Serena - Oketee female, Zippy - Oketee male, Monty - anerythristic type b female, Queenie - Snow Female, Amber - Amel het butter Female and Candy - 08 hatchling not sure if she is a snow or a ghost.

Thank you for the welcome. I dont understand people either. Its kinda like getting a puppy, then it grows up and isnt so cute anymore. Why get rid of the dog and get another puppy? Dont they realize it is gonna grow up also? Snakes are fairly low maintenance. Why get another one just cause that one got bigger? 2 feet is fairly small. Cant buy a bigger tank? Then why buy another snake?
I just took in 7 more snakes. I had to buy these but I couldnt leave them after seeing them. The man selling them decided he was tired of raising snakes and if no one bought them , he planned to release them to his yard. He had a hog nose, a wild caught corn, 3 bought corns and 2 milksnakes. He had 3 corns and 2 milksnakes in a 20 gallon tank together! Argh! I couldnt believe it! I donated the hog nose to our local park naturalist today and we are working on getting the rest settled so we can seperate them. We just picked them up last night. I dont know how long they have been together but they had no heat and only 1 hide to share. I added 5 hides but was afraid to make to big a change too fast other than that and strangely enough, they all choose the same hide all the time. All but 1 milk snake who has a damaged spot in his tail. Looks like it was broke at some point. He hides under the bedding alone. I will have to work on seperaring them soon as I can manage it without stressing them out further. At least the rest appear healthy but considering they were supposidly feed the day before, they all seem hungry. Also he had no idea of the sex of any of them, and I found a dried up egg in the tank with the 5 snakes in it!! How can people be soo stupid and careless??? I dont know that much but I try to research anything I dont know or am unsure of. They guys are pets and your care, if you are going to have a pet you need to learn how to care for them! Common sense goes a long way!

Welcome and Great job on rescuing so many snakes and animals in need! It's great to know there are people with kind hearts out there to repair the damage done by inconsiderate people..I can truely say I do admire you for having such a great heart and such patience and love for animals. I"m sure your children will grow up to be very happy and have very good lives..With a mother like you I can truely see your son being the next steve Irwin...(That is if he sticks to that and doesn't want to be a doctor next week, then a police man next month..lol...gotta love kids)

Back