• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Member here...

Agent-K

Hi all…..just got my corn snake (bought her from a buddy's little brother who is off to college)... Omega Red is a 3yr old Amelanistic approx 3.5 feet long. I have her in a 30 breeder critter cage from r-zilla. The right hand side has the UTH. The current setup is how the previous owner had it. I want to add a piece of grapevine for her to climb on and probably another hide closer to the warm side (don’t know if having the hide over the UTH is a good idea). The light fixture on top has a "night bulb" and a fluorescent strip.

I did have a question though, how long should the fluorescent be kept on for (currently it comes on at 10:00am and goes off at 9:00pm); the tank is in the corner of my bedroom between two windows and does not get a lot of sunlight. The prior owner (who got her as a hatchling) also said to keep the “night heat bulb” on 24hrs to help regulate the temperature. So far my temperature measurements have the ambient temps around 80 and the warm side where the UTH is at 90. I am open to all comments and ideas....

Thanks
Stephen

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 001 resized.jpg
    Picture 001 resized.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 002 resized.jpg
    Picture 002 resized.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 119
welcome to the forum! Not exactly sure on how long the light should stay on for, but thats about how long mine stays on for. also you should get another hide on the right like the one on the left so the snake can keep its temp regulated while hiding. maybe something to climb on too.. beautiful snake though! :)

Ive read and been told that Snakes should have to hides one on each side and its best to have sum branches or somthink so the snaker can rub against when its sheddin

[I did have a question though, how long should the fluorescent be kept on for /QUOTE]

Corns really don't need light. They're nocturnal and spend their days hiding from the sun. My corns are in a rack system which offers no lighting and my snakes seem to enjoy it. So save yourself some $$ and turn off the white light.

:spinner:

[I did have a question though, how long should the fluorescent be kept on for /QUOTE]

Corns really don't need light. They're nocturnal and spend their days hiding from the sun. My corns are in a rack system which offers no lighting and my snakes seem to enjoy it. So save yourself some $$ and turn off the white light.

:spinner:

I have to second this, unless you do want this as a nice display and place more fun items such as branches in the cage for your new pet to climb on.
Since you are new to the site, welcome to Cornsnakes.com I also recommend you finding and reading this book forwards and backwards. It will help you know and love your pet.
CornSnakes-TheComprehensiveOwnersMa.jpg

Thanks for the advice...I will indeed pick up that book. As I already have guessed there is no need for that "night bulb" as my digital thermometer is reading 92.1 on the hot side and 79.2 on the cool side.

When u guys measure your temperature, do you lay the probe on top of the substrate or under it? Because when I put the probe under the substrate n top of the glass where the UTH is, it reads 110, but on top of the substrate it reads 93.....I supposed this has to so with the substrate trapping the heat giving the higher reading but i wanted to check.....

I plan on puting in some fake plants and branches (probably that grapevine stuff I saw at Petco) for the snake to climb on.....but the Viv is a work in progress....

Thanks for the advice...I will indeed pick up that book. As I already have guessed there is no need for that "night bulb" as my digital thermometer is reading 92.1 on the hot side and 79.2 on the cool side.
Yeah, i personally do not use bulbs, but if its kept cool enough and it helps light up your cage, you can keep it, as long as it doesn't cause a fire hazard.

When u guys measure your temperature, do you lay the probe on top of the substrate or under it? Because when I put the probe under the substrate n top of the glass where the UTH is, it reads 110, but on top of the substrate it reads 93.....I supposed this has to so with the substrate trapping the heat giving the higher reading but i wanted to check.....
See for my corns, I keep my room at a constant temp of 80, but that is me. I recommend getting an infrared thermometer. They tend to be more accurate. I do recommend a rheostat for your UTH. This will help make sure your heat pad doesn't get to hot.
I plan on puting in some fake plants and branches (probably that grapevine stuff I saw at Petco) for the snake to climb on.....but the Viv is a work in progress....
VIVs are always a work in progress. :)
For my snakes though, i just keep a hide and dish in the cage with them.
Good luck.

If your UTH is stuck on the bottom, the glass can real hot. A rheostat was suggested; it's key with UTH's. Unregulated they can get hot enough to crack a glass bottomed aquarium.

If you measure temps at the glass level you can figure the temps above the substrate under a hide will be pretty close.

Thanks Tricksterpup,

I was using the analog stick ons, but I was told they are very inaccurate, so i picked up the digital ones with the probe. I was concerned when I buried the probe next to the glass and it read 110......but less concerned as it is sitting at a constant 92-93 on the top of the substrate. My cool side is siting at 75-76 and I suppose she will regulate herself. I have the fluorescent on a timer just to simulate daytime and so that it looks good for my wife (thats the real reason !!)

If your UTH is stuck on the bottom, the glass can real hot. A rheostat was suggested; it's key with UTH's. Unregulated they can get hot enough to crack a glass bottomed aquarium.

If you measure temps at the glass level you can figure the temps above the substrate under a hide will be pretty close.

That was the reason that I placed her hide on the cool side.... I plan on putting vines and making a "see through" hide on the warm side....

There is about a 10 degree difference from the temp on the glass to the temp on top of the substrate....

Sorry to see like such a noob.......

Warm side hides give your snake an option on where to hide (warm vs. cool), especially when it eats and may want to hide in a warm spot to digest the meal. No worries on being new, everyone was once :*)

I also recommend you finding and reading this book forwards and backwards. It will help you know and love your pet.
I also have this book and it's a must read! You'll have a lot fewer questions and loads of confidence in caring for your corn(s).

There is about a 10 degree difference from the temp on the glass to the temp on top of the substrate....

I have my digital probe taped directly to the heat source. In your case, I would tape the thermometer's probe directly to the glass as that is where your corn will no doubt be burrowing down to. If you're glass temps are between 85-90 degrees, directly above your UTH, your snake should suffer no ill effects.

Sorry to see like such a noob.......
We all have been there! Relax, get informed and enjoy!

:D

Welcome to the forum :0) To me 90 is a bit to hot..I usually try and keep the warm side at about 85...But if your snake seems to be doing good with your setup then That is what ya should stick with :0)...Welcome again and if ya have any questions feel free to ask :0)

I also have this book and it's a must read! You'll have a lot fewer questions and loads of confidence in caring for your corn(s).

I have my digital probe taped directly to the heat source. In your case, I would tape the thermometer's probe directly to the glass as that is where your corn will no doubt be burrowing down to. If you're glass temps are between 85-90 degrees, directly above your UTH, your snake should suffer no ill effects.

We all have been there! Relax, get informed and enjoy!

:D

Thanks for the advice....I got the tank setup from the guy who gave me the snake. I looked at the UTH and its a big one...it is most likely the 24Watt as its as wide as my 30 breeder at 16 inches. Would it be better to downgrade to a lower wattage UTH?

I believe its an 18x8.....so it covers the full width of the tank for 8 inches of the total 36 length.

You could set the tank up on a couple of paperback books. I've done that with a couple of tanks until I can get another couple of Herpstats bought. That helps keep the glass down to 86-87 and I agree that 90s sound too warm.

Spoke to a breeder this morning and he advised me to remove the 18x8, and get a 11x11....watch the temps ( he advised temps of 80-85 on the warm side and room temp on the cool side) and if necessary get a rheostat to help regulate the new UTH....

Off to the petshop... :)

Back