• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Obesity in snakes.

My girl has been like this since last year when she was bred, did lay eggs, but never had the deflated look after. 6 weeks after first lay she had another clutch of very immature eggs. She refused two males this year, multiple times. She is now on one small mouse every 3 weeks. She gets plenty of exercise. I am not breeding next year but I will brumate her just to see if she can get rid of the hips. By the way no tumor, poos normal... Enclosed picture for comparison. She is a very long snake around 56".

Attachments

• Picture 814.jpg
    Picture 814.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 82
Although that snake shows a fairly extreme example of "hips" (especially for a young adult), I have had a few that extreme. Although I have no reason to believe it is anything different, based on the photo, of course I can't be sure. But "hips" (fat deposits) is what I would call it. I do have a copy of a vet report from somebody who once had a snake that looked like that, so she took it to a vet and they actually did a biopsy, just to be sure. They found fat deposits. However, I would never discourage somebody from going to a HERP vet (not cat and dog vet) if they are really concerned. You know your snake better than anyone else does. But I would not be overly concerned if it was my snake.

When I have a snake showing hips, I still offer food once per week like I do for all adults. But instead of a jumbo mouse or a couple of weaned mice, I might offer only a hopper. And I try to give it a little exercise, although that is easier if you have only a few pets. I think the suggestions given for more exercise are on track. If your snake is genetically predisposed to this pattern of fat deposits, you will probably not get rid of it entirely, even if your snake loses a lot of weight. You probably know people who lost a lot of weight but still had "love handles" or who still complained about a big rear. However, you can probably diet and exercise her enough to keep her in good health and to lose part of excess fat in the rear third of her body.

Not meaning to take over your thread Jennifer.
Kathy I like the idea of one small hopper size every week, keeps the momentum going. I know in humans starving is not a great way to lose weight. What do you think about brumating as weight lose. The chances of me breeding next year are about 5%.

I'd think brumating wouldn't help, as typically people brumating snakes don't report much weightloss at all. Keeping the snake at active temps would keep it burning calories over the winter?

Yes, I agree. Very little weight is lost under proper brumation conditions. However, if the snake is healthy, breeding and egg laying does take a lot of energy, and causes weight loss. But if she has poor muscle tone, or is TOO fat, it could possibly increase chances of egg binding.

Not meaning to take over your thread Jennifer.
Kathy I like the idea of one small hopper size every week, keeps the momentum going. I know in humans starving is not a great way to lose weight. What do you think about brumating as weight lose. The chances of me breeding next year are about 5%.

No worries! Hey, it's still semi-relevant to the thread, and the more info for me to read the better! :)

And I agree. I think I'm going to try out keeping her on the same feeding schedule but just with a smaller food item. Will also try more handling and see where I'm at in 6 months or so.

Back