• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Odd snake behavior and cats?

RedCloud

Chipotle just had a regurge a few days ago and although he seems fine I'm beginning to wonder if maybe my cat is harassing him? He's been doing some odd stuff. One thing is he is constantly plugging the warm hide FULL of aspen, and then goes off to chill on the cool side. I don't know how he does it but he literally packs the aspen in there TIGHT. Today I came home and checked on him and found he had done the same thing only when I was straightening things out I found him at the bottom of the pile resting right next to the thermostat probe. As it happens right next to the warm side of the tank is a little table with a sewing machine that my cat uses to sit and peek in. Once he was chilling half out of his warm hide and the cat stood on his back legs and pawed up the front of the glass causing Chipotle to retreat back into his hide. I'm thinking maybe when I fed him last week, he was terrorized into the cool side and didn't digest his food properly and that's why he regurged 4 days later during handling? Thanks for any input you guys are lifesavers and I feel horrible for harassing you all haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396462255.606242.jpg

No one home in the packed hide.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396462278.664892.jpg

I struck gold while digging around in it xD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396462316.179695.jpg

The creature on trial for snake terrorizing. (Guilty or not guilty?)

I don't know if I'd blame the cat just yet. I have five cats and their favorite room is the snake room. They sit there hours on end just staring... Sometimes they paw at the tubs or cages and generally the snakes just watch them. I did have one snake strike the glass before, but she does that at anything that moves.

However, these are my personal experiences. I suppose anything is possible! Every snake and animal is an individual. Just because mine don't get stressed out doesn't means yours doesn't.

Pushing the shavings around doesn't really mean much.

Interesting. I think I'd investigate the heat/UTH a little more, just double checking to make sure it is the appropriate temperature. But I agree that every snake is different.

Have you checked out the regurge protocol? I assume so, since you seem to be quite an active member on here :)

On a side note, my corn also pushes aspen to plug hide holes ;) I was SO impressed the first time she did it. Very clever sometimes.

Best of luck!

Wow, that hide really was packed! Holds it's shape and everything! I don't actually have anything helpful to contribute though, haha...After Veras regurge I started covering her tank with a small blanket for a couple days after feeding so my cats wouldn't scare her, but I didn't do it this last time and she was fine.

I can't speak for other snakes but my cats and my snakes love each other! The cats sit on the screen viv tops and the snakes stretch up on their bendy branches to come sniff them. If the cat moves to the other side the snake will follow. I don't know who has the least honorable intentions but through the screen it's pretty darn cute.

my older cats used to be pretty good with the snakes but ive had a few kittens through that would constantly bat at the cages. A squirt with a water bottle does help curn the behavior and my current cat is about 6 months old and finally learning its ok to look not touch. Also had to teach the cat not to try to go fishing in the aquarium... lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

We have a bottle and it is labeled "Attitude Adjuster". It works wonders.

Haha, I also have an attitude adjuster bottle for my cat. As long as he sees the bottle near me, he doesn't bother the snake. Sneaky.

Back