• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ok, a few colubrids from AZ...

ratsnakehaven

I like functionality.. :)
Here's a regal ringneck snake from the Santa Rita Mountains...
RegalRingneckMtHopkinsRH111108b2_TC.jpg

A juvenile green ratsnake from the Santa Ritas...
GreenRatsnakejuve1RH71908a2_TC.jpg

A desert kingsnake from the Santa Cruz Valley...
DesertKingblack-mGV72807a1a_TC.jpg

Gopher snake in our backyard...
SonoranGopherPH53009a1b_TC.jpg

Saddled leaf-nose snake...
browniWhHouseCRGV61110a1b_TC.jpg

Sand snake from the Santa Cruz Valley...
SandSnneofloodplainGV32609a3b_TC.jpg

These are just a few colubrids. We see tons of rattlers and other snakes, lizards, and amphibians too...

:santa:

I love the green ratsnake!! So pretty!! That would be so cool to find _any_ wild kingsnake, too.

This is a species I would love to see more in Captivity. They are an amazing species of snake that few people know of.

They are pretty common in some of the ranges of Southern AZ and lots of herpers in AZ and Southern Cal have them. In AZ it's against the law to sell them, but you can give your offspring away if you get any. I haven't gotten any, yet, but hope to break that barrier next year. They're much more difficult to raise and breed than corns and takes some learning and patience.

Here's a baby I picked up in the Ritas two years ago...
GreenRatjuveHPR42209b2b_TC.jpg

The gopher is a Sonoran and one of the nicer ones I've seen since moving here. We live in the Upper Sonoran or Colorado Desert habitat and only about 15 miles from the nearest range...

:spinner:

Wow, those are some great shots! Wish I lived in a place with that kind of reptilian diversity.

Thanks, and that's a possibility. We moved here from MI, because this is a great place to spend the rest of my life and learn about the desert, the mountains, and the ocean and Gulf habitats. Lot of old folks here, but the services are great and there are nice little communities. It's a neat place to raise snakes and have a collection too.

I love the green ratsnake!! So pretty!! That would be so cool to find _any_ wild kingsnake, too.

Thanks, Nanci. The green rats are sorta like the rosies. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them, and to breed them for the first time. They're an interesting project. I have four altogether, which is the max we're allowed.

The valley has lots of kingsnakes, but they're getting harder to find, because many of them get run over by the retirees, who can't see worth beans. I bred them for the first time last year. Very cool and large babies.

They are pretty common in some of the ranges of Southern AZ and lots of herpers in AZ and Southern Cal have them. In AZ it's against the law to sell them, but you can give your offspring away if you get any. I haven't gotten any, yet, but hope to break that barrier next year. They're much more difficult to raise and breed than corns and takes some learning and patience.
Well keep me in Mind Next year.. its a shame boxes cost so much in AZ :rolleyes:

The gopher is a Sonoran and one of the nicer ones I've seen since moving here. We live in the Upper Sonoran or Colorado Desert habitat and only about 15 miles from the nearest range...

LOL I know my Pits.. :)
I used to have an amazing 6.5 foot girl. I love this family of snakes.

Gopher - closer look...

I experimented to see what gophers would eat, which is rodents and birds. This one just swallowed a meal....
AZ72107_TC018b.jpg

I think the the head scalation is really interesting on these guys. They are also closely related to "ratsnakes," and, as a matter of fact, I personally think of them as a type of ratsnake.

I don't keep any gopher/pine snakes, however, because I don't like working with snakes that big. These are pretty awesome snakes though.

I experimented to see what gophers would eat, which is rodents and birds. This one just swallowed a meal....
AZ72107_TC018b.jpg

I think the the head scalation is really interesting on these guys. They are also closely related to "ratsnakes," and, as a matter of fact, I personally think of them as a type of ratsnake.

I don't keep any gopher/pine snakes, however, because I don't like working with snakes that big. These are pretty awesome snakes though.

I love pits.. I focus now mainly on Bullsnakes and gophers.
To be honest, I find them easier to handle than boas.. they have the length but not the girth.

I love pits.. I focus now mainly on Bullsnakes and gophers.
To be honest, I find them easier to handle than boas.. they have the length but not the girth.

I have seen some huge ones. Occasionally I get to South TX and I saw a bull there once that blew my socks off. The gophers around here don't get exceptionally long, but they do need large tanks and can eat you out of house and home. They make great display animals though.

I don't keep any large boas/pythons, but we do have a smaller boa here..the rosy boa, and I plan to keep a pair eventually, when I collect my own "locality" pair..heheh!

Well keep me in Mind Next year.. its a shame boxes cost so much in AZ :rolleyes:

Well, I'm wanting to get captive hatched animals myself, and I have a few buddies waiting also. These snakes usually have small clutches of maybe six, especially when young. So, I expect it'll be a few years before I can add anyone else to the list..sorry. Patience is a virtue, however, and you never know down the line..

:)

I wish I could keep a green rat over here in NM, but they are state protected, and I would have to have a special permit to get one... I hope to get a permit in the future so I can have one of these guys and use it in an educational thing I want to do.

I wish I could keep a green rat over here in NM, but they are state protected, and I would have to have a special permit to get one... I hope to get a permit in the future so I can have one of these guys and use it in an educational thing I want to do.

Yeah, they are only in the southwest corner of N. M. I've seen them in the Chiricahuas, just across the border into AZ. You should get your permit. You don't even have to take one from N. M., where they aren't very common. Lots of folks produce them these days.

:cheers:

Back