• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

only found one dud????

turanga leela

I made a thread a few days ago about a snake I found in a parking lot. People tend to agree she looks amel, an escaped pet.

I made the post because I felt what I thought were eggs, and I needed advice on what to do, because I've never bred before. She probably mated with a random wild type outside...

Anyway, I made a laybox as outlined by Nanci.

She shed, and I was told she'd lay in 7-10 days ago. Which was two days ago.

I come in to see if she needs water or has pooped... and I saw a deflated egg, and she looked super skinny. i figured the dud was on top, and I'd find the other eggs buried somewhere.

I can't find any other eggs. But I know, I'm 100% sure there were definitive multiple lumps.

Where did the rest of the eggs go?

Do they cannibalize their own eggs? Is there a chance that she's still egg bound even though I can't feel them?

Attachments

• 20130525_183308.jpeg
    20130525_183308.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 81
Sometimes they will lay one or two, sometimes fertile, sometimes duds.

And then a couple days later you will find a clutch. Wait a few more days and see if anything else happens. I wouldn't feel her too much to see if there are lumps; leave her completely alone and in a stress-free environment.

ok, well that's not happening. thanks for the replies. I've never dealt with breeding before, and I didn't ever really want to. This was a total fluke that I found a gravid female... and I was paranoid something had gone really wrong.

I'd expect eggs more in the 10-14 day range, or even longer. Sometimes they'll lay an infertile egg or two before the rest of the clutch. Sometimes that's all there is. Sometimes infertile eggs are reabsorbed. Sometimes you can't feel eggs even when they're in there. I'd leave the lay box with her until after her next shed.

thanks guys! I've left her alone and even put her in her own room so I can tend to the other snakes without disturbing her. I've only had one other corn --- most of my experience is with redtails and bps.

also, nanci, I read your outline for a lay box, it was quite helpful.

I was looking around my house, and I used a 9 inch circumference Tupperware dish. for a 5'2 inch snake, is this too small? Maybe I should go out and get a bigger one???

I also don't know what to do with all of these babies once they are hatched. As I've mentioned before, I never intended on breeding. I don't have the proper money for it, so I thought it'd be too risky to breed without the money to go to the vet. People were gathered around this girl in the parkinglot because she was on a hood of a car -- and the owner of the car wouldn't go near the snake. They were walking about getting a shovel out of the lawnscapers truck and decapitating her. I took her because that's a horrible thing to do --then later figured out she was gravid..

How do I go about finding good homes for these guys if there are indeed fertile eggs on the way? Would anyone here want them for free + shipping?

No clue what she mated to -- my guess would be wild type. (I live in Baltimore Maryland -- I didn't even know corn snakes could live out here given limited forest area and generally colder temps)

Attachments

• top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 69
  • side view after.jpg
    side view after.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 69
Your best bet would be to just put the eggs into the freezer for a few days and then dispose of them. Then you don't have to deal with incubating, hatching, housing, and feeding them until they are ready to go to their new homes. It can be a very costly en devour. Especially if you are ill prepared and don't have any of the equipment ready. A proper incubator and housing for the hatchlings wouldn't be cheap!

well, i've been doing reading. I do have an extra mini fridge i can use an incubator, and I do have extra cash that I have from just selling a car. I'd rather find someone local to take the eggs if I'm truly that ill prepared rather than freeze the eggs. that seems sort of heartless to just give up before i try.

Also, just for background info. I already have heat tape, and temp regulators. about 14-18 extra tanks.

I was running a rescue for reptiles, since there aren't any here in Baltimore. It's just that usually I was dealing with mouth rot, scale rot, respiratory issues, mites, wounds etc. I'd never dealt with gravid females or eggs before.

I had to shut down the rescue when my hours at work got bumped from 30 to 65. I rehomed all of the animals, but I kept the majority of the equipment.

I'm going to continue to read up on the issues here as much as possible. It's just easier to ask direct questions and get direct answers if I'm confused about something.. rather than sift through an enormous amount of info (even though I gain from it all).

You can use craigslist to sell them or find a local pet store that would be willing to buy them.

Most will get 3 meals in the babies before putting them up for adoption. Wait to try to feed until after they shed.

I would love to have another baby snake, unfortunately though i'm not sure that shipping to the UK is even possible, and probably not good for the poor hatchling. (I have no idea though) I hope you find someone who wants to take them in - I would personally avoid websites like Craigslist and Gumtree as you never know who you are selling to. :)

also, nanci, I read your outline for a lay box, it was quite helpful.

I was looking around my house, and I used a 9 inch circumference Tupperware dish. for a 5'2 inch snake, is this too small? Maybe I should go out and get a bigger one???

I use 9" delis. My snakes are probably more in the 3-4' range. But they only take up half the lay box, at most.

Sorry I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I usually post from my phone.

I never bred because most of my "pet money" was being used for my dogs and the reptile rescue I was running at the time. I would much rather save a life than create more for money. So. I never looked into it.

I already have 4 extra mini fridges. If she does lay... I've checked on her once since this post just a few hours ago... she does still have eggs in her. I'm thinking ill put half the good eggs in one fridge. And the other half in a different one. Reason being if one fails I won't have all my eggs in one basket.
I already have a g a few great thermostat.
I already have tons of heat tape.

I was just curious if his technique works. It sounds pretty solid. If not. I do have thr money from a recent car sale to go get a proper incubator. I just didn't want to do that if this other method works.. waste of money since I won't be dealing with eggs ever again.

Also thanks for the responses. Very helpful. As I've said before, everything on this website has been helpful as I read throufh it. But - its much faster and easier to have questions answered directly. Thanks!

Back