• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

opinions

ditto what Lexie said.

The best morph to get is the one you like best and will enjoy.

Do you like gray snakes? (anery, charcoal, some lavenders, etc...)
Or maybe you like colorful ones? (amel combos, caramels, bloodreds, some lavenders, etc...)
Or perhaps you like the classic cornsnake look? (classic, okeetee, miami)

Check out this website
http://iansvivarium.com/

On the left hand side of the site it lists a bunch of cornsnake morphs. Click the morph name to see picture examples and find out what you like. Just note that in general the more traits a snake has (triple trait, quad trait, etc...) are usually a little more expensive.

See, the problem is that I like all of them. I want them all, but I'm only going to buy one. It's so hard deciding on just one though...

Well, my first choice would definitely be a lavender or lavender combo...but lavender is my favorite so I am biased.

See, the problem is that I like all of them. I want them all, but I'm only going to buy one. It's so hard deciding on just one though...

My advice is to get a really colorful one then, a bright amel or classic, like an Okeetee, or hypo classic, or fire, or blood. Those are all really eye catching, cheerful, beautiful snakes, and if you can have only one, that would be my recommendation.

My first snake is an amel, Humphrey.

I would say decide what color and pattern morphs you like best and then buy a snake that combines your favorite of each. If you think you might breed it some day, also consider getting a higher-end morph and find out from the breeder what other genes it might carry, so you can plan ahead.

I couldn't attach a picture of my snake for some reason...but he's in my little picture
<-----
right there. I think he's a normal, so what should be my second snake? :)

I am not sure, if he's the picture in your profile, that he is a normal, might be a hypo!

I am not sure, if he's the picture in your profile, that he is a normal, might be a hypo!

He was brown until yesterday when he shed. This picture is from today. The color change amazed me. I bought him as a motley, but he's not a motley.

Hmmm...if you already have a red/orange snake, go for something really different. I'm thinking lav, anery or snow.

Get the color you like best. BUT - if possible, get one with lots of hets. Then if you decide to breed later, you can produce lots of different colors and patterns. Remember - they ARE addictive, lol!

Depends on how many you want to have in the future. If you like them all and don't plan on breeding them, get something inexpensive (you already like them all, right?) Why waste the money getting something "nicer" if it's not actually nicer in your own opinion? If you want to breed them in the future then you would want to plan ahead since it does take a few years to get going from babies. Then you'll need to consider more carefully the price, genetics, etc.

Depends on how many you want to have in the future. If you like them all and don't plan on breeding them, get something inexpensive (you already like them all, right?) Why waste the money getting something "nicer" if it's not actually nicer in your own opinion? If you want to breed them in the future then you would want to plan ahead since it does take a few years to get going from babies. Then you'll need to consider more carefully the price, genetics, etc.

You brought up a good point. I'm not planning on breeding...so I should buy something inexpensive...the lady I'm buying from has some pretty cheap ones. They are: amel, anery, snow, motley(normal), and stripe(normal). I should buy those, and later buy ones that are a little more expensive and go like that...

Okeetees--all Okeetees, all the time! Carol's "Okeetee-type" Miamis, Sunglow Mots, Sunglow Stripes, Fires, Cayenne Fires, Lavas, Hypo Lavas--those are my favs, and the ones I'd choose/have chosen to live, here--but I'm not you, and I don't know what you like :). I don't believe in "moving up". I find what I like (and can afford) and go for it. I don't tend to "settle" for anything. Why bother? And why should it matter if one is going to breed or not? Having a beloved pet is no less noble than breeding, if you don't want to breed, and if the seller doesn't want his/her animal to become "just" a pet, they'll probably let you know :).

I'd say go for what you like if you can afford it.

So I asked my family what snake I should buy...no one here knows anything about snakes, so I just showed them pictures. My mom says I should get an amel, my sister wants me to get a snow because her favorite color is pink, and my brother wants me to get an anery because it's Oakland Raiders colors...
So now I'm wondering if I should get an amel and an anery and make snows! That way everyone wins. I never thought about breeding snakes, but it could be fun.

If you breed an amel and an anery, you actually get normals which are heterozygous for both amel and anery-- meaning that they each have one copy of that gene. But two are needed to express a trait. So if you decided to go that route, you could get an amel which was het for anery, and an an anery which was het for amel. That way, when you bred them, you'd get a clutch that was about 25% normals, 25% amels, 25% anerys, and 25% snows. That would be a pretty cool clutch!

Hets are great. I haven't bred corns yet, but I plan to at least once or twice. The babies are SO SO PAINFULLY CUTE!

Back