• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Palmettos out

Congratulations!

I will post pictures of some clutch mates once they've shed

Rich Hume
Can you post some photos of your Het Palmetto adults too please?

I read Palmetto may be dominant, but it must be co-dominant instead. It would be very interesting to see as many "Normal" het Palmettos as you can post photos of, so we can see its co-dominant effect.

Anybody else have some Het Palmettos we can see photos of somewhere?

Here are tessera and normal het palmetto yearlings. They seem a bit pale, but nothing jumps out at me.
11796197_1589060584689179_449309086361516794_n.jpg

11817226_1589060581355846_5311490237932664255_n.jpg

Normal het palmettos usually look a bit lighter in color, so that's about what I expected. Did you manage to get any males this year, Chip?

Just paired her up again last week. Surely it can't happen twice.

Hets

I will post some pics of the hets in the next few days - I am retiring from work this Friday so right now my life is a bit of a whirl, but that will calm down shortly! There does seem to be a visual distinction in the het palmettos to normal corns, in my opinion. But we'll what everyone else thinks.

Rich Hume

Here are tessera and normal het palmetto yearlings. They seem a bit pale, but nothing jumps out at me.
11796197_1589060584689179_449309086361516794_n.jpg

11817226_1589060581355846_5311490237932664255_n.jpg
They look pale to me too. That is not “Normal”, so if Palmetto is co-dominant, it could cause this to happen.

We can easily prove if Palmetto is co-dominant or not. If I were to have gotten a female Palmetto, I would have bred it to make het Palmettos. Assuming Palmetto is co-dominant, all offspring from this breeding would be pale.

With a mix of sexes of het Palmettos, I would raise them up as fast as I could and breed one of them males back to the female Palmetto, AND breed Het Palmetto males to my Het Palmetto females. This last breeding will prove if Palmettos are co-dominant or not. When we breed Het Pal X Same, 1 in 4 will not be het Palmetto, so now we will see the Normal Phase Corn without the effects of the Palmetto gene. If all of the offspring from these clutches are still pale, there must be another reason for it.

Other possibilities would include, my infamous Yellow Jacket Gene could cause pale offspring. It is dominant or co-dominant and completely infects the line it is in.

Where do I think YJ came from? The same place I thing Border-less came from, Yellow Rat Snakes. Borderless Corns are not “Normal” at all. Corns have Borders, Rat Snakes do not. Borderless Corns also have checker irregularities, probably due to the selective fight between Corns Checkers and Rat Snakes checker-less bellies.

Our Mutant Corn Snake Gene Pool is infected with Border-less, and we are told they are “Normal”. They are not normal at all. It is a dominant effect, so where is it in wild populations of Corns? It doesn’t exist as far as I know, so the other possible source is Rat Snakes. Gray Rats, Everglades Rats, Grait Plains Rats, Texas Rats, and Black Rats and the list goes on. Corns have been bred or hybridizes with each one of them. Where are their offspring today? In the mix of Mutant Gene Pool, perhaps?

Is this Pale effect in Palmettos from Palmettos or our Mutant Gene Pool? I would breed the original Palmetto to Wild Caught Corns in the same Local and see if I get Corns or Hybrids, just like Dee did with the Goldens.

Before you think I am arguing Palmettos are Hybrids, let me give you Palmettos first defense.

I believe any time you breed a new gene to any Mutant gene, you are creating a Hybrid, due to Hybrid Blood in the Mutant Gene Pool. Here are two example I have encountered.

Landrace Lava x Amel het Snow

Landrace Lava X Butter Motley.

Check out these “Normal’ Corns het Snow Lava and “Normal” Corns het Topaz Amel Motley. Do these look like Normal Corns found in the wild? Do they look like any Wild Caught Corns you see advertised, or if you are lucky and collect Corns, where does this “Normal” Phase come from?

I believe the first breeding of Palmetto was to an Amel het Caramel? An Amel het Caramel carries the Borderless and YJ gene. Any Borderless, Tan het Palmettos could be hybrids from the Amel Het Caramel line, not Palmettos. If the Amel het Caramel was homo Borderless and homo YJ, it would explain the Pale Borderless het Palmettos that have been produced.

Evidence

First photo:
Landrace Lava X Amel

Second and third photos:
Landrace Lava X Rich Z Butter Motley

Where did my Yellow Jacket Gene come from? Rich Z Butter Motleys and Rich Z Striped Butters.

Do these Corns look like "Normal" Corns to you?

When you breed a Mutant Combine such as a Butter Motley x Landrace Okeetee, you would expect a Normal Corn with Okeetee influence.

These offspring are Border-less and not "Normal" at all. They are Yellow Jackets and RedCoats.

How do you explain Borderless RedCoat Yellow Jackets in F1?

What is up?

If you breed a Normal or Okeetee to a Mutant Combine and don't get Normals or Okeetees, then you have produced something else.

I do not believe it is a Corn Snake.

If it is, what mutant gene produced them?

Attachments

• 1851.jpg
    1851.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 2087.jpg
    2087.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2088.jpg
    2088.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 145

Attachments

• 1851.jpg
    1851.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 2087.jpg
    2087.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2088.jpg
    2088.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 143
palmettos

We have sold all of our palmettos to Travis, we are out of the project. In Godfather parlance, he made us an offer we couldn't refuse!

Rich

Holding on to that monopoly I see, haha! He owes me a couple photos as well... You may be out, but I'm just getting started! ;)

Back