• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Panicking!!!!!-Skin Split!

After my massive failure as a keeper, I feel like this is at least one thing that I can do RIGHT for Jewel. I value the fact that, while this is absolutely my last choice, it IS something I can do for my animals to relieve their suffering.

Why euthanize? Are things going downhill?? It seems like you're not giving her a chance... I mean, the vet said she'd be ok with meds, right? I know she's in pain, but it seems like she'll get better, you know?

I think you are doing the best thing for your snake. I've been in your situation and it's a hard, but you are doing the right thing. Don't feel bad everyone makes mistakes. You did your best and you learned. That is what is important.

Why euthanize? Are things going downhill?? It seems like you're not giving her a chance... I mean, the vet said she'd be ok with meds, right? I know she's in pain, but it seems like she'll get better, you know?

I agree, I personally would give her more time but I understand your view too. She is in a lot of pain and you don't want her to suffer any more so whatever you decide you did your best for her. I would talk it over with your vet and see what he/she thinks. And I really am so sorry that you and her have to go through this.

VCT: If she wasn't in obvious pain, if she was drinking on her own and not dessicating before my eyes, I would keep going. BUT i don't have anyway to relieve her pain. If I touch her to try and give her fluids or antibiotics, she starts to thrash around-almost like a seizure. Just being alive is stressing her.

I'm a firm believer in working with my snakes until they get better. My 17 year old Ball Python developed an eye infection and didn't eat for almost 8 months. I got surgery on his eyes, and snuck him to work with me to make sure he got his antibiotics three times a day.

I also know when keeping them alive is wrong. I feel that this is wrong for Jewel. I just wish that I could help her out sooner.

I also want to let the person that PM'd know that I feel putting her in the freezer isn't an option for me. Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Maybe it should be a different thread.

live and learn brother, the snake will be much happier and I would do the same thing man. it just looks very very bad and painful and no animal should have to live with that pain, your doing the right thing in my book and I commend you for it.

But just because she's in pain now doesn't mean she won't get better, you know?

Your right she might get better, but we don't know how this animal is feeling.
I can only imagine what it would feel like to have a burn that severe on my own body and not be able to kill the pain. I'm sure at some point I wouldn't want to go through it anymore. The OP is making a very hard decision and I think we should support it so it is easier on him or her.

But just because she's in pain now doesn't mean she won't get better, you know?

What she is saying is like when we get hurt it is painful and we have to go through a lot but we have to stick it out till we heal. Your snake will heal but it will take time. With every shed she will get better and better and her sheds will come quite often now that she is injuried. Of course it is painful but she will heal with time and I don't see why you jumped to the option of putting her to sleep when she will most likely heal. I would be considering it in your position but I would give her more time and see how she is doing, it has been less than 2 weeks if I remeber correctly. That isn't very long at all, she may start eating again in a couple weeks.

I don't mean to make your decision out to be wrong, she is badly injuried and is suffering but I don't see a point in putting her down if she will recover. Either way I know all you want is the best for her.

The OP is making a very hard decision and I think we should support it so it is easier on him or her.

Like I said before I am very sorry if I am making it sound like your doing the wrong thing, I am just saying what I would do but I am not you and I have not seen her in person. I do think your decision is in her best interest and I'm very sorry you had to make that decision.

Hey Everyone. I posted a new thread. "The Fat Lady Hasn't Sung Yet!" is about Jewel's apparent road to recovery. This thread seemed doomed, especially after the decision I had made. Last night she shed, with my help, and looks like she is turning around after all. I'll keep folks posted on her recovery on the other thread. I won't make any more decisions without giving Jewel time to declare herself one way or the other.

Shelley

That is great news! I am happy you gave her some more time. I remember about 20 years ago when I was a young herper and Burms were all the craze, I had a 11 foot male that got a nasty fungal infection on his entire ventral side. All I saw was meat and capillaries. I thought he was doomed. I was working for a vet who gave me a chlorohexadane solution (not sure of spelling), and like clockwork, I cleaned him every day and put him on dry newspaper. After a couple of months, he made a complete recovery( although his scales always did look a little messed up). My point is that it is good to be patient, snakes take a long time to heal, but they do heal. Good luck good job!!

Back