• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petco recommends cohabbing?!

if you guys ever heard of bansky then you know hes a grafiti/street artist guy. hes the one that changed paris hiltons cd covers around somewhere in europe to a cd cover of paris with a dog face naked. not sayin ruinin a product is in good cause. but why dont we that care just take a sharpie and go to every caresheet and cross that line out. as if it never happened. lol. i know most of you are think, vandal. but oh well. ive changed signs around a lot in my younger days. and a lot was late night chaning 3s to 8s on phone numbers/adresses with a paint brush or markers, or changing the roadside arrow signs with removable letters. that way its changing the caresheets for the better.

Good Luck with That!!

Wayne

Thank you for that. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but that was more my train of thought. I understand some people cohab and if it works for them thats great, but as a first time snake owner I found very quickly ibn my research that this was controversial and usually not advised. It seemed like an odd point to make on a label and a one sentence mention in the care sheet, as Kali said it should at least have some sort of "but" involved with more details.

I would at least think there is more important information to list on the tiny label that people first look at than that.

Unfortunately you are thinking like a caring hobbyist and not like a mega-store intent on making a profit. Many people who buy snakes from petstores will buy the bare minimum caging for them, trying to save as much money as possible. Now if the store can sell them TWO snakes, for the one cage they bought, why wouldn't they? It's more money for them!

Tara worked at PETsMART for a few weeks this summer, and I worked there myself as a teen ten years ago. In the intervening ten years, their care of animals has diminished and their desire to make a profit has increased. These two things do not lead to good results for the animals sold there. In addition, PetCo in particular had a nasty strain of crypt run through their animals a few years ago from a batch of baby leopard geckos. So beyond cohabbing, there are a lot worse things that go on with regards to chain stores. I'll have to get Tara to tell the story of the sick water dragon and non-feeding ball pythons locked away in the back room of her Petsmart.....

Kathy, I guess this is what won't ever let me be a big breeder... I would not be able to sell my babies to a company that doesn't give a rats rear end about proper care for them. I just would not be able to do it... I think I am a lot like Starsevol-- I am going to be soooo picky about who I sell my snakes to. I think you yourself have said the same thing, that you prefer to know the person and feel like you have a working relationship with them before selling... otherwise how do you know if your babies will go to a good home or not?

Back