• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Petshop rescue, emaciated anery

doortech9

Access Systems Technician
Hello! I was at my local petshop today and seen that the anery hatchling they picked up at least a month ago still hasn't eaten. It seems weak and is very thin and dehydrated. It was cohabbed in a very large enclosure with poor hides and improper heat provisions. I talked with them and they agreed to let me take it home because they tried everything they could, and it will die unless some other steps are taken. So far I gave her a short soak and set her up in a small critter keeper with water and hides. I'm afraid if she doesn't eat within a few weeks she will die, as she may not have had a meal for months now, if ever. When should I consider tubefeeding? They said no hard feelings if she dies, either she dies here or there they fear for the worst... But I'd rather try than just let her fall apart. :(

I'd give her a week to settle in, offer a slit/brained pink. If she doesn't eat then, give her another week and try tube feeding her a very small amount to start with.

I usually tube feed at least 3 times before trying a pink again.

Thanks! Do you tube feed on the same schedule as feeds or more often? I'll have to pick up some stuff as well. What size tubing is appropriate for a hatchling? I've never attempted it but I'm willing to try!

I tube feed on a 7-day schedule, using A/D prescription dog food mixed with a little warm water, herptivite multivitamin, calcium with vitamin d3 and nutribac powder.

I'm not sure what size tubing to use, I use a Monoject412 12ml curved syringe with the tip cut off.

There are other dog foods and even ferret foods (canned, of course) you can try, but I've had great luck with A/D and am hesitant to try something new.

Get a water-soluble supplement and put it in the drinking water. Just a little extra boost if she decides to drink.

I wanted to wait a while for her to settle in but I think I should tube feed her tonight. She is laying limp out in the open and hasn't moved in hours... Somewhat unlike a snake who just moved into a new enclosure. I rescued a BP that was in similar shape and waited too long to try and forcefeed and she died on me. Wish me luck, I'm off to get supplies.

I hope she pulls through for you.

I just got a baby that was nearly 3 months old and hadn't eaten. I tried feeding her the next night after I got her and I think I was very lucky and she ate overnight. She is still hovering around 7-8 gms which is what she was when she hatched. She did drink immediately for me and she's very active.

I ended up washing the pinky and braining it and left her alone in the deli cup and she did eat. I don't know what I think, I'm new at snakes and non-feeders and I think I was just very lucky.

I hope you get her to eat!

You might try assist-feeding her a small piece of mouse tail, too. I would do something right away. Build up her strength, then work on her eating on her own.

Well we managed to get about a half a cc into her. I was so nervous doing it because I didn't want to damage her or overwhelm her in any way. She's not moving and I fear the worst. I covered her tank for the night, hopefully she has some energy tomorrow.

Well she has moved around a little more today. She still isn't hiding, and has trouble lifting her head but I'm hoping after her next shot tube feeding she will start to regain some strength. Keep your fingers crossed for us :(

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTA1LTAwMTQ4LmpwZw.jpg

Can't you soak them in milk or something? (Found the link, see below. I don't know if it works or not, but a fairly large breeder who works with a difficult species advocates it, and it certainly can't do any harm).

Last edited:
Soak what in milk? Snakes do not digest dairy in any form so I'd stay away from anything like that. You can get a pinky pump if necessary to pump in pureed pinkies. That will have a complete diet for the snake until she gains strength. It's possible that this baby is just a non-feeder. I had two in this last clutch that just never ate and eventually died. I've only had one other that didn't eat, but no matter what it just wouldn't. I don't force feed. It's hard to tell if it was just stress that caused the failure to eat though since it was at a petstore. I suspect that this one was a non feeding baby that the person who sold the bunch to the petstore just foisted off on them. Part of the reason I stay away from petstores for reptiles and recommend that most people do not get snakes from there.

Unflavored gatorade in water can be very helpful for dehydration and one I recommend. Even soaking in plain water can be helpful if you don't have gatorade or pedialyte around.

I was thinking about this little one today, and I'm thrilled ot hear that she's still with us. If she sticks around, would some nutribac mixed in with her food possibly help?

This damn blackberry constantly sends unfinished messages. I wish I had some, does anyone know where it can be ordered? All I have found are either dead links or links to a page for distributors.

Back