• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pippies not eaten yet.

aitchjay

Crash & Coco.
We have 15 babies all of which have now shed most over a week ago, but none have eaten yet. We originally tried whole pinkies but they seemed huge compared to the snakes, and they didn't eat. I have tried cutting them up (pinkies not the snakes) but this hasn't worked either.
How long until I need to worry about their health ? and what else can I try.
I thought we'd done the hard bit just getting the eggs to hatch.
Thanks for any help.

First off, don't worry too much (as hard as it is). The babies hatch with a yolk supply to sustain them until they would find their first prey. Don't offer food too often because that can condition them into refusing through stress.
Try to get day-old pinks (reds) about 1g in weight, and offer them at a temperature that feels warm to you, because live pinkies are warm to the touch. Put each hatchling in a feeding tub overnight with the warm pinky in a dark, undisturbed place and don't check at all until morning.
If any of the hatchings has eaten in the morning, gently tip it into its home. Any that haven't eaten can be left for the day in their feeding tubs until the evening before checking again.
After that, any that haven't eaten, leave as undisturbed as possible for at least 5 days before trying to feed again. Check and recheck the temperatures they are being kept in, because they will not feed if they are too cool or too warm.
There are plenty of tricks to try if the hatchlings hold out on you, but one that has worked for me and others on here is washing all the scent off the pinks with a fragrance-free soap, then offering them nice and hot. This is a good thread on success with non-feeders;
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54340
Good luck, and hope they all fill their tummies soon!

Back