• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression Thread: Snakey

XenDrgn

Ok.. so her (I think its a her and we'll just say its a her until someday I find out otherwise) name isn't really Snakey. Unless you're my 4yr old son. Who doesn't seem to understand the concept of Naming things yet.

However.. she still doesn't have an official name yet by me or my husband because we haven't found one that stuck.
Current Names: Tangle, Slinky McWiggles (I refuse to accept this one but I think i'm losing the fight), Cinnamint, and Twizzler (feel free to cast a vote or even suggest a name)

She is.. unknown age. I'm guessing around 2-3 months? Approximately 14 inches (near as we can best measure cause.... wiggles). Weight is also unknown because I lost my scale in the move and haven't replaced it yet. Maybe in a week I will be able to get a new one. But I'm estimating around 14g to be honest.

She loves sleeping. Like Always. Always freaking sleeping. Love to burrow in her aspen. So many tunnels running across the bottom of her cage. when I changed her bedding last week, I added extra bedding so she could burrow more... and she did.

Standard (far as I can tell) Amel - but she is a gorgeous, pale little baby with some stunning red on white patterning for now. Though at the head and tail you can just start to see it pinking/reddening up.
I've had her for about a month now, and I have gone head over heels snake obsessed since getting her. I absolutely love the forum and spend every day reading and checking in.

So far, her personality has been -very- docile. Her cage is right next to my desk where I work, so she often spends the day chilling and sleeping on my desk while I work. Some days in the hide I made for my desk out of a small cardboard box. Some days on my keyboard, or under it, or under my paperwork, or on Stitch's head.... When she is active, its to either burrow, or tie herself in knots.

So far she's been an excellent eater. We're on 1x 2-3g pinkie once every 6 days currently.

So, interesting story: the last time she fed (two days ago) was a bit interesting because she didn't want to take it from the tongs (kept running away), but I know she was hungry because she'd been sniffing about more the last day or so, so I picked her up, which she immediately coiled around my fingers as is her usual thing, and offered it by hand and without any fuss, she took it very gently and clung to my hand until she had swallowed it down. Once it was all the way down I let her crawl off my hand at her own pace back into her viv. She never actually strikes at her food (at least not yet, I suspect that will come with time?) She always just leans in, licks/nuzzles it, and the wraps her jaws around it and pulls it away. Its very... dainty. Well, until she starts to swallow. There's nothing dainty about that part. But before and after.. totally dainty.

So.. Pictures!!
From earliest to newest:

First day in our new Viv
Uj4W990.jpg

Showing off her favorite past time - tying knots
ip1dggc.jpg

Showing off our hatchling colors
5Mmpwz0.jpg

u6kncvk.jpg

Exploring new places!
LIvPC9a.jpg

Say CHEEEESE!!
uFtPve8.jpg

Watching the Hooman do something called "work"
cQ0DdsH.jpg

PbxulEG.jpg

And lastly, some videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBJKwa7Q-yMAQhnpsPRpuQ

Beautiful. I think your pics are fine. My vote would be for Twizzler. but I like Twizzle, without the "r" even better.

Funny thing. Mine's had a name all along, but I certainly call him my sweet little snakey! Sometimes it's even snakey pie. Glad you can't hear me talk baby talk to my snake. That would be embarrassing!

Okok.. Sorry, to spam but tonight I caught her doing something funny and had to share cause.. I'm a total 80's baby and well.. You'll see

f0hiawS.jpg

JgnoyY9.jpg

I'M GONNA BE A MIGHTY SNAKE, SO ENEMIES BEWARE!

(srsly she's been sitting like this for 30 min staring at me)

Who's hungry?!

my little Lady was so.. I decided to capture a video of her eating dinner tonight. Cause, what is a snake owner without at least one feeding video?!

https://youtu.be/K4TIxQrHlUY

As it say in the description of the video:

She hasn't learned a full feeding response yet (aka the Strike) so currently she is docile enough that I am able to simply feed her right out of my hand. This is something my snake does, it is NOT in anyway, something I would suggest for anyone else to do. In time, she will probably start to have a more normal feeding response, at that time I will stop hand feeding and resume with tongs again. The only reason I started with this, is because she started shying away and refusing her mice from the tongs. After struggling with it one night, I finally just held the pinkie in place with my hand and she took it right away, without any hesitation or trouble.

As you can see, she is currently a very gentle eater because she's only a few months old.

Plus, I have a feeling I won't get to share this awesome, magical moment much longer, so I wanted to capture it on video before this little time period went away.

So, Lady's cage/tank is right next to my desk so that as I work in the evenings, I get to actually see her out and about. Which is awesome. I get some really awesome pictures when she scoots about.

Well, cut to Today. I come in to sit at my desk, per my usual routine, and get ready for work. But.. I brought dessert with me. The biggest, oo-iest, goo-iest s'more you ever did see. I mean chocolate and marshmallow just oozing off the graham and across the plate.

Here I am, having just finished the best and messiest bite, about to stuff another into my waiting mouth when low and behold I look over and see... Judgmental Snake.

jtwadkH.jpg

ZsucOFI.jpg

Do you SEE that look?! ...

You listen here, Lady! I have seen you eat. Don't you be judging me and my S'more scarfin ways!

*Sniffles!!* My little Lady is growing up to be a big girl now! Today during feeding she made her first attempt at a strike!! Such a big girl! I'm proud of her. Today was also her first double pink feeding. Where did the time go already?

So, 2 weeks ago today, Lady had her first double pink meal. Apparently it was good for her because she chomped both eagerly... then promptly got so fat she went instantly into shed! (even though i'm pretty sure it's been barely a month since her last one...) Sooo, been patiently waiting for her to shed and reveal her new bigger and more beautiful self. So.. without further ado - post shed pictures!

nBCeD01.jpg

3cvf84Q.jpg

Promptly after returning to her viv after the quickie photo shoot - she coiled up on the edge of her water bowl. Which totally made me think of MysticExotic's little one that did that right after hatching. So cute!
odnLlGy.jpg

vjR8ZFf.jpg

She's absolutely beautiful and that's a great picture. Thanks for the update.

I'm a little concerned because 18 grams is on the very, very small size for a year. 24 to 26 inches, on the other hand, is not unusually small. Considering how proportioned she looks, and she seems to have nice weight around the middle, have you checked your scale? I would expect her to be more like 40 to 60 grams at that length.

You know, I thought the same thing and the scale I use is a bit... It was cheap. So it is probably not accurate. And while I do feel her growth has slowed, she's always kept the classic bread loaf shape through her middle and she sheds regularly every 6 weeks or so. If anything the greedy part of me wants her bigger faster, not for breeding purposes but cause I want to see her adult colors! Because she seems to be holding onto that white background more than I figured.

Such a pretty pale background. Hope she keeps that lovely candycane look through adulthood.

I'm a little concerned because 18 grams is on the very, very small size for a year. 24 to 26 inches, on the other hand, is not unusually small. Considering how proportioned she looks, and she seems to have nice weight around the middle, have you checked your scale? I would expect her to be more like 40 to 60 grams at that length.

Nova is 19g and just shy of a year, but she's also missed quite a few meals. I'm guessing the length may be an overestimate.

What size prey is Lady currently eating and how often? Have you missed meals here or there? Any issues with regurges? Avoiding feeds during shed?

Back