• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression Thread: Snakey

You know, I thought the same thing and the scale I use is a bit... It was cheap. So it is probably not accurate. And while I do feel her growth has slowed, she's always kept the classic bread loaf shape through her middle and she sheds regularly every 6 weeks or so. If anything the greedy part of me wants her bigger faster, not for breeding purposes but cause I want to see her adult colors! Because she seems to be holding onto that white background more than I figured.

In any case she looks very proportioned and healthy. To check your scale use nickels. A nickel weighs 5 grams. She's really beautiful.

Found a more accurate way to measure her and she's closer to 20". Scale still saying 18g. As for feeding we're at 3pnks every 7-10 days. Unless in shed. In shed all she wants to do is curl up in her smallest hide. If I try to give her a fuzzy because three pinks is a bit cumbersome, she gets it down, holds onto it for like 3days and then reg urges the last little bit of it. only tried that twice though and keep going back the pinks after. She has never refused a feed and feeds pretty steadily. I keep running into an issue with the only local store that sells mice. Apparently someone in the area has a lot of snakes because they will come in and buy out all the 3pks ad pinks one day, then two days later but all the singles. So right now I have a fuzzy in the freezer cause it was all they had but I'm being pretty reluctant on giving it to her since she wasn't able to finish the last one. I've considered cutting it in "half" and giving her the parts for easier digestion? She can swallow it easy enough, no issue for the size. It's just getting that much mouse digested in time. Her warm side is 80 btw. Soon as she ate and tried the last fuzzy, the day after she reg urged she went into shed so she hasn't eaten since and is now due for a feeding.

Also the reason n I tried a fuzzy was after her last shed she was 21g, so I got her a fuzzy to test, and she went into shed again right after that attempted feeding. I know some snake can do double sheds so I was surprised but not heavily concerned, I just figured it was a growth spurt

At this size, 10 days is a longer gap than most would wait between feedings. Hatchlings have fast little metabolisms. At that size I feed about every 5 days, with occasional skipped days here and there. A 3g large pinky (or equivalent) is just over 15% of her current weight and should be appropriate for her until she's about 30g, which is when I would start offering fuzzies.

Yeah some pet store pinks are really tiny. It sucks that you can't get enough. I'd be considering periodic trips to other towns and take a cooler with ice to keep them frozen. I'm lucky, I have enough snakes to have feeders shipped to me and if needed I also have 2 Petcos and 2 PetSmarts in a 5 mile radius.

Definitely, I'm with Dragonling-- feed her more often on those tiny pinks. Also you can cut a fuzzy in half. When you do feed whole fuzzies I'd make sure to slit them and confirm her warm side temp is 85 to 87 at the glass under the substrate. I had my corns on double small pinks or single large pinks at 18 grams. If she can handle it, double small pinks (which is what you seem to have available) every 5 days is good at that size.

Back