• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Psycho Sunkissed!

Snakehead

Bite Me! It's ok
I reecently aquired a male Sunkissed, and the breeder told me that they tend to be nippy! He said it was because they originated from the okeetee blood lines and so they are more agressive. I didn't pay too much mind to it cause I have many Okeetees and I mine aren't very bad, so didn't think it would be any different. Well this thing is very high strung and nervous. It bites repeatedly and reminds me of a racer. I held him for a while to try to calm him down and any sudden move on my part is returned with a strike on his part, lol. I can deal with the attitude but I was wondering if most Sunkissed truely are this way? Anyone have any input? This is my first Sunkissed so I don't have much to xcompare it to. I have a normal female het for Sunkissed which is perfectly calm. Opinions welcomed!

I have a baby here, visiting. She's a sunkissed bloodred. Carol was calling her Spazztastic, if that gives you an idea about her behaviour. I named her Mille Fleur because of her pattern, and because I didn't want to encourage her craziness! But she's about 12g- so who knows how she will turn out. She is so busy striking at me from her feeding container that it's a miracle she finds time to eat! When I want to photograph her, I just set her down where I want and she immediately goes into a rattler coil and doesn't move, except for leaning back further and further, and flattening her head more and more.

Attachments

• Mille Fleur October 2010 011cr.jpg
    Mille Fleur October 2010 011cr.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 259
I couldn't imagine any corn being hostile lol, i only have one corn and he is the most calm little boy ever... He has never even got in a defensive posture, let alone strike. A nippy corn seems foreign to me, i couldn't even imagine one. I think the temperament for corns is entirely different for each snake (one certain morph isn't meaner than another) until you start breeding hybrids, then i could see some being meaner... just my 2 cents

I'm with Haarstad!! Cyrus is so chill!! I have read crazy threads on here about nippy, gumpy corns and sometimes I think they HAVE to be made up! LOL!! Good luck with your little guy!!!

I just recently got a Sunkissed Motley, and he's the first snake to bite me out of the 10 other '10s I have.

Some snakes have more of a tude than others. The "meanest" snake I've ever owned was actually a Miami. I don't think my SK boy will turn out to be a biter, I think he was just a little scared.

I have two sunkissed my yearling is very even tempered she rattles her tail when you walk by her when she's eating that's it tho. And my baby sunkissed lavender is very spastic it has bitten me once but is calming down once it gets out of his tub. But I had a lot of aggressive ness in my granite fire and normal blood, the granite is still aggressive but the other two grew out of it

I have a baby here, visiting. She's a sunkissed bloodred. Carol was calling her Spazztastic, if that gives you an idea about her behaviour. I named her Mille Fleur because of her pattern, and because I didn't want to encourage her craziness! But she's about 12g- so who knows how she will turn out. She is so busy striking at me from her feeding container that it's a miracle she finds time to eat! When I want to photograph her, I just set her down where I want and she immediately goes into a rattler coil and doesn't move, except for leaning back further and further, and flattening her head more and more.

That's a beautiful baby Nanci! Can't wait to see how it looks as an adult. Do you have any other Sunkissed?

I couldn't imagine any corn being hostile lol, i only have one corn and he is the most calm little boy ever... He has never even got in a defensive posture, let alone strike. A nippy corn seems foreign to me, i couldn't even imagine one. I think the temperament for corns is entirely different for each snake (one certain morph isn't meaner than another) until you start breeding hybrids, then i could see some being meaner... just my 2 cents

I beg to differ. I have been breeding snakes for a long time, but I'm just getting back into it after about 8 years of quitting cold turkey, lol. I have noticed over the years that certain cultivars do show certain tendencies, which is inadvertantly bred into their genetic make up. I don't know that this is the case with the Sunkissed yet, that is why I am asking for feedback. The breeder who sold this guy to me, said that he recognized a nervous propensity in this line. This snakey is very high strung, exactly like a racer. It has very quick reactions, and quite frankly acts like it fears for it's life.

I'm with Haarstad!! Cyrus is so chill!! I have read crazy threads on here about nippy, gumpy corns and sometimes I think they HAVE to be made up! LOL!! Good luck with your little guy!!!

If you continue keeping Corns you'll eventually find one. They're out there. I have seen quite a few vicious corns in my life, but most are wild caughts. Then again I have caught wild specimaens that were teddy bears from day one. This little sunkissed has got to be in the top 10 for sure. He is an 09, so hopefully he'll caim down some. I will work with him to ease his fear.

I just recently got a Sunkissed Motley, and he's the first snake to bite me out of the 10 other '10s I have.

Some snakes have more of a tude than others. The "meanest" snake I've ever owned was actually a Miami. I don't think my SK boy will turn out to be a biter, I think he was just a little scared.

Thanks Jessi, maybe there is something to this morph, that is a bit nervous?

I have two sunkissed my yearling is very even tempered she rattles her tail when you walk by her when she's eating that's it tho. And my baby sunkissed lavender is very spastic it has bitten me once but is calming down once it gets out of his tub. But I had a lot of aggressive ness in my granite fire and normal blood, the granite is still aggressive but the other two grew out of it

Cool, I hope mine grows out of it, lol. I can deal with the agression, it's just not a desirable trait. Maybe it's something that can be relieved by outcrossing, who knows?

That's a beautiful baby Nanci! Can't wait to see how it looks as an adult. Do you have any other Sunkissed?

Thank you! She belongs to Carol. She is just here visiting. I don't have any sunkissed. My favorite sunkissed morphs are SK + stripe + something, like bloodred. Hmmm...just had an idea!!

OK progress!

I noticed a bit of a difference in this little guy today. I may also have stumbled upon some good news too. He did not seem as frantic today although he is still a little nervous. He only bit me once and opened his mouth like he was warning me once. I also realized something else that is very important, and kinda stupid on my part, lol. I only checked my corns snakes today! Lol, I did not hold any KING SNAKES today! :roflmao: No wonder the snake acted like it was fearing for his life yesterday, lol. I will have to pay close attention to this in the future, but I think that is at least part of the problem. Here is a picture or two of him.

P1040745.jpg

P1040746-1.jpg

I have 33 corns, of which 3 are adults, 4 are 2-year-olds, 3 are my hatchlings, and the other 23 are '09 babies. I have normals, amels, blizzards, lavenders, golddusts, butters, charcoals, opals, lavamels, ultramels...and one sunkissed lavender. And guess which one is downright agressive? My sunkissed lavender. And she doesn't even fit into my breeding plans, I got her because of her looks, and she won't let me hold her! Feeding her is a contest to see who is quickest, me or her, and weighing her is almost impossible. Still, she is beautiful...

Lesley

Thanks Lesley! I should have guessed which one was the trouble maker ha ha!
Hey if you ever decide to sell her let me know. I have a female which is het for Sunkissed and Charcoal, and she is just sweet as can be. So maybe there is hope? I have noticed it is a little less fearfull if I don't have the smell of Florida Kings on my hands, lol.

I have one adult male sunkissed and he is very tame and curious.

Aha, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Thank you Blutengle for that ray of hope. Like I said before it's not that I can't take the biting, it would just be a shame to put a lot of effort into a project and make something so beautiful only to have them turn out to be possesed :puke02: or something, lol.

I hope the F2 of the project I started with him this year will be as tame. Next year I hope to breed normal het sunkissed ghost motley x same. The parents both are dolls so I'm curious to see if their homo sunkissed children will be possesed :p

Thanks Jessi, maybe there is something to this morph, that is a bit nervous?

I think it has something to do with wild blood.. when Sunkissed were first being bred the genes came from wild lines..
I can't remember if this is correct though, I might be thinking of Lava or something..

So, although I'm not really a huge Joe Pierce fan, I'll direct you to his informative thread on Sunkissed..
Keep in mind these are old threads ('06 and '05), the people who've written in them do not frequent the forum anymore, but they might have some good info.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28977

Aww here's even one with Chuck in it!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25978

lol, also, as I mentioned before, my nippiest snake has DEFINITELY been a Miami male.. generally my snakes calm down once they reach oh.. I'd say 30-40g, and they are never nippy again. This guy struck at me well into his first year!

Also, my Pewter male, who just shed this past week, struck at me when I opened his bin to take a picture.. I think it might be a grumpy old man thing..

No, I'm just kidding, every individual snake has his or her own personality. One NICE thing about the nippy ones, is it seems like they have GREAT feeding responses! I'm sure some of you know the relief I felt when my Sunkissed Mot male IMMEDIATELY grabbed onto the first pinkie I offered him before I'd even covered the feeding tub for privacy!

Also, little advertizing, if someone really likes the Sunkissed Blood that Nanci posted, they should buy some tickets for the 1.2 Hets for SK Blood and Charcoal!
:dancer: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105912 :dancer:

ok, I'm done. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm pretty sure my honey (sunkissed caramel) was brought here by Lucifer himself. I've been keeping and breeding corns for 17 years now, and I've never been bitten and musked by a snake as much as he's bitten and musked me.

As soon as I pick him up he strikes at anything and everything and thrashes violently and musks me galore. I thought I had seen aggressive snakes before, but they're seeming puppy dog tame compared to this guy.

Here's a pic of him. Sure he seems innocent enough, but don't be deceived by his satanic leanings.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 55
Back