• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question for breeders

I think part of it IS vet availability-there are several vets in my area that state they handle reptiles, but for every one who does, there are a dozen that are "practice limited to dogs and cats". The vet who comes most recommended is a good 45 minute drive-and that's far enough that I'm reluctant to take Wadjet in for a check up because that's going to really stress her. And I'm in a pretty big metro area.

I think part of it IS vet availability-there are several vets in my area that state they handle reptiles...

A vet who will see them is one thing, but it can be even harder to find one who knows what they are doing. Asheville is a town of 85,000 and had ONE good reptile vet. He's semi-retired now, and I have taken reptiles to two of the other ones and was disappointed. I bought what was promised to be a CB panther chameleon from a show, and I found nematode eggs doing a fecal and noticed a slightly hazy eye. So I tried out the new reptile vet. She gave me Panacur, a petroleum jelly based eye antibiotic (chams MUST have only liquid eye ointments), and a care sheet for a veiled chameleon. :rolleyes: When a vet mixes up the species, and suggests I care for wrongly, especially when it was brought labeled with a print out of the animal's common and Latin name, diet, supplements used, and temperature and humidity zones; I'm not going back.

I don't blame you Chip. I'm really lucky that we have a FANTASTIC vet here in Concord that deals strictly with reptiles and exotics only. He is wonderful.

Seems like there are many vet who will "see" reptiles, but use basic cookie cutter methods to treat them.

Yup. Although, for the sake of this conversation, the vet I visited would probably be perfectly fine to handle common corn snake issues... of course, I'll never need her for that sort of thing.

i work in a clinic and sadly we don't see reptiles. i decided to call all the clinics in the phone book for my area and i managed to find 3 clinics who would even SEE reptiles. so i wrote their info down just in case anyone calls asking. one of the vets at the local animal shelter will see reptiles but he is booked out so far in advance that if your pet is critical (like my bp was), chances are it will end up passing away before you can get it in.

Back