• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

quick question

so if an snow corn is amel/anerthristic morph is there a name for there a scientific for that beside albino i wanna know cause i got and amel/zigzag male and a snow female that i intend to breed

All of the offspring from a snow x amel breeding would be amel het anery.

I'm not sure what your question is though. Their is no "scientific name" for morphs. They are what they are.

I think you mean genotype name. Scientific name is how we classify their species, Elaphe gutatta guttata. That stays the same for them no matter what color they are.

When you change their appearance, there are two names for what happens. The phenotype is the name for how they look. The genotype is the list of genes that make them look that way. Example:

Phenotype: Snow

Genotype: homozygous amelanistic, homozygous anerythristic

Somtimes different genotypes can make the same phenotype, which is why people use both.

Examples of different genotypes that can produce snow phenotype corns:

1. homozygous amelanistic, homozygous anerythristic, heterozygous lavender

2. homozygous amelanistic, homozygous anerythristic, homozygous motley

3. homozygous amelanistic, homozygous anerythristic, heterozygous hypomelanism

etc.

All of these combos and more will produce the same phenotype of snake. I hope this wasn't too confusing. Generally I tend to muddy things up.

Sisuitl said:
D'oh! I can't believe I put "Elaphe"! :headbang:
Hehe...don't feel bad. Lots of people are still using "Elaphe" even though it is technically not correct any longer. Old habits, die hard sometimes!

pantherophis guttata guttata

almost...

Utiger, Helfenberger, Schatti, Schmidt, Ruf & Ziswiler (2002 Russian Journal of Herpetology 9(2): 105-124), using mtDNA, presented evidence that North American Rat Snakes of the genus Elaphe are a monophyletic lineage different from Old World members of the genus, and resurrected the available name Pantherophis Fitzinger for all North American (north of Mexico) taxa. Those adopting this generic name for the Eastern Corn Snake should be aware that spelling of the specific name changes to guttatus.

:)

Skye said:
almost...

Utiger, Helfenberger, Schatti, Schmidt, Ruf & Ziswiler (2002 Russian Journal of Herpetology 9(2): 105-124), using mtDNA, presented evidence that North American Rat Snakes of the genus Elaphe are a monophyletic lineage different from Old World members of the genus, and resurrected the available name Pantherophis Fitzinger for all North American (north of Mexico) taxa. Those adopting this generic name for the Eastern Corn Snake should be aware that spelling of the specific name changes to guttatus.

:)
I wasn't "hip" to the guttatus part, thanks
:cheers:

Stand aside, Europhobe coming through!

"Utiger, Helfenberger, Schatti, Schmidt, Ruf & Ziswiler (2002 Russian Journal of Herpetology 9(2): 105-124)".......yep not American names....

I'll start using the "new world" terms for "new world" North American snakes just as soon as "new world" North American scientists come up with the "new world" naming standards. The Russian Journal of Herpetology can pucker up and smooch my "new world" posterior. I'm pretty sure the Russians scientists have bigger fish to fry than worrying about our snakes.....I'd suggest starting with finding a cure for Dioxin poisoning. :)

They're our snakes; we are more than capable of naming them ourselves, thank you! Now, BUTT OUT!

Quigs said:
C'mon Gary. Tell us now how you REALLY feel!?!

Yeah Gary, quit beating around the bush. You may want to asnwer the question so that reptile_addict/jake the snake doesn't come to this thread and re-ask it over and over and over and over and over....I think you know whaere I'm going with this.

Cav, you may want to note, THE COLD WAR IS OVER. also Rusia is not in Europe it is in Asia, and since you are concerned about europeons getting involved in classification , you may also be intrested to know that Charles Darwin came up with the whole idea of classification of animals and he is well, english and england is in europe not in asia. I really dont think cornsnakes care much about our ever changing classification of them or where the herpatoligist that classify them came from anyway.God forbid we give any credibility to them there foreiners. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back