• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rack system help?

b23ball23

I now know that i want plastic conatiners to make my rep. room more organized for when I breed.
Does anyone reccomend a rack that will be able to have have 2 adult size corn conatiners, and about 15 hatchling/ yearling containers

Now with these, heat tape is reccomanded, but how do you manage the temp of each? I dont quite understand this

DO you know if it would be easier to make a rack??

links/ pics would be great

Thanks for the help

BEN

GOD BLESS

b23ball23 said:
I now know that i want plastic conatiners to make my rep. room more organized for when I breed. Does anyone reccomend a rack that will be able to have have 2 adult size corn conatiners, and about 15 hatchling/ yearling containers?

Here is a photo of my Cornsnake rack system. This rack system utilizes five Sterilite 32qt boxes (#1756) or ten Sterilite 15qt boxes (#1754). (The box heights are the same, so you can choose to place two of the smaller boxes side-by-side on any shelf.) You could easily make a ten shelf system like this one. The top two shelves could be single adult enclosures, while the bottom eight shelves could house sixteen yearlings. (Even more hatchlings if you use the smallest boxes.)

b23ball23 said:
Now with these, heat tape is reccomanded, but how do you manage the temp of each? I dont quite understand this.

A good quality thermostat with probe does the trick. I use the Big Apple Herp Power Proportional Thermostat. I place the probe inside the top box over the heat tape location. (The heat tape is under the box.) The probe senses the temperature and the thermostat adjusts accordingly. It the area is too warm, the thermostat turns off power to the heat tape. If the area is too cool, the thermostat applies more power to the heat tape. A quality thermostat may cost around $100, but that is the BEST $100 you will ever spend on your animals. I can promise you that.

b23ball23 said:

Would it be EASIER to make a rack? As opposed to buying a pre-built commercial rack? No. Pre-built is always easier. Would it be EASY to make a rack? Yes! In fact, the rack system shown here took me one day to complete. (And I took a LOT of extra precautions in squaring everything up perfectly. If you're not worried about setting a marble on a shelf and having it stay perfectly centered, then the process should take you one afternoon.) And the money saved is a nice little bonus.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Attachments

• Cornsnake Rack.jpg
    Cornsnake Rack.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 177
What a great, simple design! Even I can make one like that.

Thanks so much for posting that pic. Since my "Just one snake, please?" has so far turned into four snakes, plus two more that my sweet, loving husband just handed me money for, I'm definately going to need something like that.

You, ahhh....don't think I'm may be developing an addiction.......do you??? :crazy02:

b23ball23 said:
I now know that i want plastic conatiners to make my rep. room more organized for when I breed.
Does anyone reccomend a rack that will be able to have have 2 adult size corn conatiners, and about 15 hatchling/ yearling containers

Now with these, heat tape is reccomanded, but how do you manage the temp of each? I dont quite understand this

links/ pics would be great

Thanks for the help

BEN

GOD BLESS

Here's a pic of my two Animal Plastics racks. The one on the left [AP 1754(10) 10/20 Tubs] holds ten 32qt. Sterilite 1756 tubs, twenty Sterilite 1754 tubs, or any combination of the two. So this would hold your two 32qt. tubs, and your fifteen 15qt. tubs, with a 15qt. slot to spare (maybe for a dummy box for your temp probe...).

Making your own would be cheaper, but if you have zero carpentry skills like me, and you have almost $500, this may be the rack for you.

Link: animal plastics

Attachments

• 101505 racks (3).JPG
    101505 racks (3).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 175
LizardMom said:

Thanks so much for posting that pic. Since my "Just one snake, please?" has so far turned into four snakes, plus two more that my sweet, loving husband just handed me money for, I'm definately going to need something like that.

You, ahhh....don't think I'm may be developing an addiction.......do you??? :crazy02:

No problem. It was my pleasure. (I am probably helped 20 times more than I get to help. It's a nice change. LOL)

And the Animal Plastics racks are a very good option. (From what I hear. And I hear that a lot.) The quality is great. The price can't be beat. And the customer service is outstanding. I almost bought one of those myself.

Chris =)

anyone have a link where I can find DIRECTions and materials????....not just pics

i'll be out for the weekend, cya guys later, thanks for the help!!!

BEN

GOD BLESS

LizardMom said:

I'm jealous! I wish my sweet, loving husband would hand over money for new snakes...But I think the 40+ reptiles we have in the house is overwhelming him... ;)

I also wanted to recommend Snake Shacks by Nature's Spirit. Casey is a great guy and has A+ customer service. Never had to wait more then a week to receive my rack (I have 4 currently).

I know this is probabaly a dumb question but I was wondering how you heat that many snakes. (We have just had one so it was pretty easy, but I guess I dont really understand the rack system).

Preita said:
I know this is probabaly a dumb question but I was wondering how you heat that many snakes. (We have just had one so it was pretty easy, but I guess I dont really understand the rack system).

That's not a dumb question. Usually heat tape is applied to the inside back wall, or to the floor toward the back of each shelf, and its output is controlled with a thermostat. Mine have heat cable that is snaked down through grooves in the shelves and side-walls.

_____
_____|
|_____
_____|
|_____

Probably the most widely used method is heat tape. (This is also probably the most inexpensive method too.) The heat tape is a paper-thin strip of plastic sheeting with super thin heating elements inside. (Check out mgreptiles.com for online photos.) The heat tape comes in various widths and wattages for specific rack system requirements. Just choose a width that suits your needs and buy it by the foot/yard/whatever. (Matt @ mgreptiles.com can help you choose the perfect size for your needs.) The heat tape is then cut into several shorter strips (one strip per rack level) and daisy-chained together with short pieces of extension cord. This allows for one plug to power all strips. (Matt can help you with this also.) It's really pretty simple. If I can do it, then anyone can do it. =)

(NOTE: The above is not written for publicity purposes. I am in no way affiliated with mgreptiles.com, nor do I have any vested interest in the company. This was simply the first website that came to mind.)

Chris

I should stop typing long-winded responses. By the time I submit, the topic has already been addressed. And usually in a more concise and comprehensible manner. I'm such a rambling goofball. LOL

Chris

CJBianco said:
I should stop typing long-winded responses. By the time I submit, the topic has already been addressed. And usually in a more concise and comprehensible manner. I'm such a rambling goofball. LOL

Chris

I thought your response was detailed, not long-winded. :)

hey guys, back from the retreat

Umm DOes anyone have links on HOW to build the rack, because most of them just say what materials.......and have pics. i need some directions.

hmm, still thinking whether I should just go buy one :rolleyes:

BEN

GOD BLESS

The easiest thing to do is to buy a measuring tape and build your own design. The problem with plans is that they are only good if you use the exact same tubs, Otherwise the diminsions are different.

Buying versus building will cost you easily 2-3 times as much, not including shipping.

Is 32 quart containers big enough for adult cornsnakes???

That is the size I see on most racks

As of now,
here are the pros/ cons of building one:
cons:
-dont even have directions yet(cant find any)
-might not look very good

pros:
-cheap
-might be interesting to make
-i can build it to my dimensions

I really want to build one, I just would like it to look good, and I need some written directions, because all i've seen are picture

THANKS

BEN

GOD BLESS

CJBianco said:

Chris

Thank you (and Roy) so much! Thats exactly what I was looking for in an answer :D Is heat tape kinda like an uth or do you have to replace it more often?

Eventually I want to make one of those rack systems.
Thanks for the wonderful pictures. They are really neat to see.

--Preita

Back