• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

red-tailed boas

Mdralston

I was wondering how much a red-tailed boa would cost through a pet store, and if they make good pets for a rather unexperienced snake keeper. I have some concerns about a snake that was recently purchased by someone I know. What is the cost of up keep for one? What size terrarium should a full grown boa live in?

Boas make FANTASTIC pets. I have owned 13 various boas including big BCI's, locales, pacific boas and sand boas. I assume you are talking about BCI or common boas - aka colombian red tails.

I have owned 3 of these in the past and they were oustanding animals. You couldn't ask for more in a pet. Fantastic eaters, great looking, stupidly docile etc. However they get big. My biggest lass was 6ft and she was only 2 year old. She was my 3rd ever snake and no harder to look after than a corn apart from much larger housing requirements (4x2x2) and higher heat (90+ on the warm side 75+ on the cool side).

However I currently keep BCI dwarf locales - Corn island boas and a Bolivian boa. I have these racked in 3x2 tubs and thats all they weill ever need as they are dwarf boas. My adult Bolivian is only 4ft...

ok! Whew! that makes me feel a bit better! My biggest concern was I read something that said red-tailed boas grow to be about 10 ft and about 50 lbs. I was thinking that snake would EAT! what on earthe would you feed asnake that big? a chicken? My other concern is that I'm not sure this person can afford to care for the snake they just bought!

Oh no if your friend has a female common it's not unheard of for them to get to 10ft. Large rabbits are usually an easily sourced prey item for LARGE boids.

My dwarfs won't get that big because well, they are genetically dwarfs LOL

You need to tell your friend the potential size and housing requirements for his boa. A 4x2x2 is the minimal requirement for an average 7ft BCI however 6x2x2 is what I would call appropriate space.

The females do get this big..
Elle keeps dwarf boas which are smaller....
yes it will eat large rats when bigger even rabbits.. And you will need a larger tank than 4x2x2 as it will be about that size coiled up...
MIKE

Don't want to scare you or anything, but just keep in mind that as with any wild animal, some are a little more high strung than others. I have a common BCI who is mostly tame and not a problem, but he has his moments and does get startled fairly easy. Which sometimes results in a defensive bite. I pretty much only take him out when everyone else is in bed and the house has quieted down for the night because of this. Makes it easier on both of us. He's still a great snake though, just something to keep in mind.

As far as the 10ft boa, a BCC can hit that size, so if size is an issue, you gotta make sure you're getting a BCI. They're not always easy to tell apart just by looking, although I'm sure some more experienced boa people probably can.

He told me that he just got a baby columbian red-tailed boa. I wonder if they are cohabitating it with their roommates Corn...

I don't think he understands what this baby is going to grow into... :(

If he does his research and does a lot of research I don't see a problem, he will grow with the snake.
Back when my dad was keeping snakes Boa's was the original starter snakes:spinner:
JOel

If he does his research and does a lot of research I don't see a problem, he will grow with the snake.
Back when my dad was keeping snakes Boa's was the original starter snakes:spinner:
JOel

Knowing this person as well as I do is the reason I have the concerns, he's not the research type.

Umm I think your wrong there.....commons are imperator where as red tails are constrictor constrictor....there for a BCI is not a red tail.

joel

Oh dear Joel

I am PERFECTLY aware of what constitutes as a TRUE red tail "Boa constictor constrictor".

Unfortunatley many people do not. And the last time I checked, both species have that red colouring on their tails which is why the pet trade slapped that name on them - which is what I was refering to.

Lets not confuse this poor guy even more...

He told me that he just got a baby columbian red-tailed boa. I wonder if they are cohabitating it with their roommates Corn...

In that case your friend has purchased a BCI aka a common boa. If it's female do not be under any false pretentions that it was stay under 8ft. Although uncommon it is perfectly possible :)

Absolutly. My favourite boa book in the world is "The complete boa constrictor" by Vincent Russo. It's a comprehensive guide to care, breeding and geographic boa races and locales.

Back