• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

red-tailed boas

Thanks guys! I think I'll keep an eye on things...If it get to be to much I may just offer to take it off his hands...

See that is the problem with most Boids in the hobby. In our herp society we see Boas up every month for adoption. They are one of the most commonly discarded snake, heck this month we saw 3 burms come in. These snakes get up to a certain feet in length and want to eat larger prey; people tend to dump them on herp societies or the humane society.
I personally own 3 boas and never paid a dime for them due to being unwanted pets.
It sounds like your friend is the typical keeper that gets an animal and doesn't realize what he is getting into or the commitment he has for the next 20 years.

At the local shop I go to, there is a female over 8 feet long and she is almost as round as my Burm. she is a huge girl, very pretty but BIG. Elle, is right, they are a great snake but it takes dedication and lots of work to keep an animal like this. I personally do not recommend them to the first time keeper due to their size and the realization of how big they can get. Boids should be for Herpers who know what they are getting into and are in for the long haul, herpers for life.

That was my thought too! When he told me I was immediately concerned that something like hat would happen.

I think right now he may just have this "Oh cool I have a big snake" mentality without really thinking along the lines of This snake is going to be in my house longer than the baby I just had!

He has a house with a guy who has a corn, so HOPEFULLY one of them realized what hey were getting into.

yeesh!

That was my thought too! When he told me I was immediately concerned that something like hat would happen.

I think right now he may just have this "Oh cool I have a big snake" mentality without really thinking along the lines of This snake is going to be in my house longer than the baby I just had!

Exactly, most people are used to dogs and cats and do not realize that a reptile can live longer than their furry little pets.
If you ask someone how long a reptile lives, they probably couldn't tell you. They probably think if it lived 5 years it lived a long life.

Show him this picture. This is an average adult BCI. They poop like great danes :)

Attachments

• 102935Carrie,Bug,&_Scarlet_1_JPG-med.jpg
    102935Carrie,Bug,&_Scarlet_1_JPG-med.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 35
where do you get the food for yours?

For my smaller ones I get Jumbo size Rats from Rodent Pro. As for my Big boy, I feed 2-3 pound Rabbits, I get those from a local Breeder who freezes them. I also get 10 pound Rabbits for my Burm from him.

I think that could EAT a great dane! :eek1:

But sometimes, I do want to point out, you can get lucky and get a male that is small.
This is my 11 year old boy that is over 6.5 feet in length. And he has grown in the last year and half of me owning him. So yes, they can still grow at 10 years of age.
kaa2.jpg

That is an amazing snake!

I think if I end up with this one it will require a specially made viv. Are they climbers?

That is an amazing snake!

I think if I end up with this one it will require a specially made viv. Are they climbers?

Yes they will climb.
This is a cage that was given to me by a friend. It was originally for a Jungle carpet but he never got the snake. It has a second shelf in there as you can see and my snake likes to lie on it. There is a heat emitter above it, so this is his warm side of the cage.
My girls are kept in different style cages.
KAAscage.jpg

Baby boas are usually very climby. But as they get much bigger they tend to get lazy. Try finding a wee branch that a 50lb boa can sit on LOL

You may not find a large enough branch to put in their viv for them to climb on, but trust me, if given the opportunity, they will find SOMETHING worth climbing! Pinky was supposed to be having a nice soak in the tub. She had other plans.

Last edited:
Back