• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Refusing to shed?

Yeah I'm hoping it was just a phase.
I deserved to get bitten by him, its about time he taught me that I should handle more diligently. I honestly thought it was kind of awesome.

I will make sure to supervise him when I let him out, so he doesn't get stuck again.

Shedding has always been a problem for him. I misted the tank so much this round, and soaked him multiple times. It was just so strange that he wouldn't do it himself.
I'm waiting a few days, then I'll try a feeding. Hopefully he'll get back on track.

Temperatures are just fine by the way. 68-70 at the deep end of his large vivarium. 85 in the warm end.
I don't have a humidity thermometer, I just mist the tank a lot. Is it necessary to get one? If I do then what is the ideal humidity reading for a shedding?

I wonder if getting a real nice moist hide set up for when he goes blue would work better than misting the entire cage. It could just be evaporating too quickly and not providing enough humidity. Granted, that is all speculation on my part!

I saw some really neat humid hides made from plastic containers filled with damp moss that the snake can enter when they are about to shed. It might be worth it to set one of these up for next time.

I wonder if getting a real nice moist hide set up for when he goes blue would work better than misting the entire cage. It could just be evaporating too quickly and not providing enough humidity. Granted, that is all speculation on my part!

I saw some really neat humid hides made from plastic containers filled with damp moss that the snake can enter when they are about to shed. It might be worth it to set one of these up for next time.
Personally, I'd say this is a better idea than misting the whole viv. That way the snake will choose to use the humid hide when it needs to if you put one in when he next goes blue.
You aren't by any means the only member here to make a mistake with your snake. More important than being perfect is that you have been man enough to admit it, ask for help and make a commitment to change. I've heard about snakes escaping down heating vents or faucets during supervised playtime, and I'm one of the many who found their enclosures weren't as secure as I'd thought when an escape happened! I caused my first ever laying female to get egg-bound by interrupting her and checking on her too much, I've caused regurges by feeding too big a food item. I've learnt from those mistakes and tightened up my act in keeping and breeding my snakes. I'm not perfect, but I'm a long way from the begginner I used to be.

After he bit me a couple days ago, I've left him alone entirely. He's been sitting in his hide since then.
I think not eating is caused by fear more than anything. He needs to shift from "hunted" to "hunter" mode, and its hard to discern which mode he is in.
They're probably a lot more sensitive than we might think. I've probably put him through a lot of fear by handling, light switches. etc. I suppose we really need to be careful, because any kind stress can snowball and make them shut down for a while. We need to give them as stress-free a life as possible, any kind of fear will cause problems. It seems these primordial creatures are so extremely slow in how they adjust to their environment and develop different habits.
But he must be VERY hungry by now. I want him to completely relax before offering a meal, might feed this weekend.

For the record, I think I wouldn't have gotten in so much trouble here in the past if you guys allowed editing of posts!!!

He should be fine to feed this weekend.

If you want to edit posts, you need to become a contributing member- click the orange bar at the top of every page! Editing ability is just one of the perks of membership.

Gave him a f/k rat pup a week ago, he seemed mildly interested but didn't end up eating it.
The old skin is still on his head :( no amount of soaking will get it off. Is this why he's not eating?

I could try feeding again today but I hate to waste rodents.

Maybe try a pinky or a fuzzy mouse? It's not much, but my hunger striking male will usually eat one of those, even though he should be eating bigger meals.

I haven't ever used it, but have you tried that shed-ease product? I'd also love to see a pic of his head now.

Have you tried any water-based lubricant on his head? I'm thinking repeated applications would soak in and hopefully remove the old skin.

Have you tried any water-based lubricant on his head? I'm thinking repeated applications would soak in and hopefully remove the old skin.

Like what? What kind of lubricant would be safe on a snake and how would I apply it to his head.

In case anyone cares, he's still not eating, and the old skin is still stuck on his head!

If I touch anywhere near his head he starts flipping out so I've decided to just leave him alone.

At this point, I am writing it off to "mating season" and I won't feed him for a couple more weeks because, a failed feeding is a horrible experience for me.

Is there a correlation between incomplete sheds and refusal to eat?

Like what? What kind of lubricant would be safe on a snake and how would I apply it to his head.

In case anyone cares, he's still not eating, and the old skin is still stuck on his head!

Water based lubricant = KY, Astroglide, etc. Liquid, not Jelly

As for the comment "in case anyone cares". 3 pages of advice and you ask this? I am by no means an expert, but I do have instinct. I have watched this thread grow for weeks and you've done nothing. If this was your dog or cat, wouldn't you have considered contacting a vet?

I am not trying to make you feel bad, but you have awful instinct.

- You CHOSE to allow your snake climb someplace it could get hurt.
- You CHOSE to yank your snake out of this place, and possibly injured him/her.
- You CHOSE again, to restrain you snake and now possibly injuring him/her further, rather than listening to the advice of the people here. Why do you ask for advice and do what you want anyway?

THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST ON THIS THREAD...

Bring your Snake to the vet. You are either trolling or just a bad snake keeper. These are not disposable pets. There are way too many variables leading up to this animal not eating. Every new post you add, has a new symptom usually related to another bonehead move on your part. Do the right thing for this animal, you took the responsibility of caring for it (I use this loosely).

CALL A VET

I'm exhausted!

-braingarble

Overreact much?

Lubricant will be the next step. I should at least get that skin off.

Then leave him alone for a while, wait for mating season to pass. Make sure I handle gently and not put him in any kind of stress. Cleanse the tank, got a humidity meter, wait for him to go blue, supervise a good shed, then not bother him at all, let him sit in his hide, quietly drop a mouse in front of his hide, put a cover over the tank and leave the room.
This got him to eat last time he went on hunger strike.

I am not one to panic.

I think I've identified the problem:

He is partially blind due to retained eyecaps, and this is why he's not eating.
My options are:

1. endeavor to remove the eyecap (really afraid to touch his eyes)
2. wait for the next shed

Anyone have experience removing eyecaps?

At this point, it's probably worth a vet visit. If you are afraid to touch his eyes, you need a vet to help get the caps off.

Not knowing what you are doing, and trying to remove caps, you can do permanent serious damage.

Yea there is no way I'm gonna try to force the skin off the head.
I held the snake up to a light and its still hard to see where the retained shed still clings.
I am not taking him to the vet right now.
In spite of the fact he hasn't eaten in almost 3 months now...
He's still fat.
I put some lubricant on his head, and later on gave him a bath again.
Every time he's in the bath, I come back to find his eliminations in the water.

Today he was very sharp, alert and active. He's been prowling his tank relentlessly. When I handle him, he feels very strong and ultra-responsive.
Is this due to mating season?

Besides the *not eating* I haven't seen any signs of poor health to warrant a visit to the vet. He seems to be in excellent shape.

Yea there is no way I'm gonna try to force the skin off the head.
I held the snake up to a light and its still hard to see where the retained shed still clings.
I am not taking him to the vet right now.
In spite of the fact he hasn't eaten in almost 3 months now...
He's still fat.
I put some lubricant on his head, and later on gave him a bath again.
Every time he's in the bath, I come back to find his eliminations in the water.

Today he was very sharp, alert and active. He's been prowling his tank relentlessly. When I handle him, he feels very strong and ultra-responsive.
Is this due to mating season?

Besides the *not eating* I haven't seen any signs of poor health to warrant a visit to the vet. He seems to be in excellent shape.

Not eating after an injury, stuck shed on the head, that also includes eye caps and you are not taking him to the vet? It's time for a check up.

At some point, you have to admit that he needs to have a once over by reptile vet. Now would be that time...

No one is panicking... A vet visit doesn't equal panic...

You need to take him to a reptile vet.

Back