• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Relic - Cinder 2014

Many cinders are known to have slightly triangular body shape vs. the loaf shape of most healthy corns. I agree, her keys ancestry might also be affecting her size and growth rate.

A second vote for keys/size connection. Now that I've finished updating everyone's threads, I'm going to look this up right now! :)

So cute. I lespecially love her face in the last pic!

Thank you DollysMom, she apparently loved the camera. :)

Everything I've read so far described Upper Keys corns as either "slender bodied" or "long and lean". So it doesn't necessarily sound like they are *shorter* in length. I guess time will tell, but I am hoping that she grows a little more. She's still such a small little thing.

I can't believe I didn't update this thread after the first time last month, but Relic has now had a second shed with hemipenes. After comparing tail lengths with Ripley (using photos from back when they were the same size) I am convinced that Relic is definitely male.

Just so you can compare, while unproven this is Cleo's last shed and I do presume she has been sexed properly. I haven't posted this before, but this is a pretty clear pic of the vent area of the shed.

In any case, Relic's name is unisex so you are good! He or she is absolutely stunning.

a4NxdR8l.jpg

Thanks DollysMom. Raven's (sold as female) shed looked like Cleo's, as did Meri's (sold as male), but the red "spurs" on Relic's shed were at least 3 times bigger than both of theirs. The picture below was from last month (the shed ripped as I was pulling it out of the viv), and this month the spurs were even larger than that.
I have always thrown sheds out as soon as I confirmed eye caps, but now I'm saving them until I have one from each of the corn snakes. I want to compare tail shape/length and I'm not sure if you can do that with shed skins, but if you can, it would sure be easier than trying to compare live snake tails!!

weird shed 1.jpg

Yeah, those are definitely more pronounced than Cleo's little dots.

There are things you can do with the sheds, like make art with them. I just save the pretty ones, just because. They take little to no space in a plastic bag.

2017 update

When I did all my other updates Relic was looking dark, so I figured he was going to shed soon. I waited and waited and he finally went blue, shed, and... he's still really dark! I guess this is just a new development in his coloration. He has some heavy dark lines down his back now. His belly also looks quite grey, which has always been an indication of oncoming shed before, but maybe his belly color is just fading out??? I don't know. Anyway, he has also developed the typical cinder triangular body shape, which is quite interesting. I completely forgot to check his weight, but he's just under 4', and doesn't seem to have gained much weight or length in the last 6 months or so, so I think he's actually done growing. If I remember correctly, he's just over 400g. I think he'll end up being my smallest corn snake. But still a favorite.

Now, for the pictures! The sun is intense today, so the pictures are just a little bit washed out, but I think they're good enough to give a good idea of his colors. Enjoy!

1_20170625_30.jpg

2_20170625_25.jpg

3_20170625_20.jpg

4_20170625_25.jpg

5_20170625_25.jpg

Looks great! Have you measured him lately? Looks like a big boy.

Thank you! According to serpwidgets, Relic was 47.5" in March. I haven't measured him since, but he's essentially the same weight as he was then, and actually has a little bit of fat on him, so I would have to assume he has not grown at all since then.
As I was reading through my previous posts though, where I was worried he was done growing last year, I had a giggle. He grew a TON after that! But this time I really think he's done, and he's a pretty good size now so I'm really happy with how he's turned out.

your corn relic is absolutely stunning! Male or female, that is one beautiful snake.

Thanks so much! He's blushing... but I'm not. I totally agree!! LOL

Back