• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rescued another one! LOL!

MinLynn

What blonde chick?!
Yes! We rescued another corn! This one's a biggun! I mean probably the largest corn we have and Voldemort weighs around 700g and this one dwarfs him! Anyway, S/he came with a lovely case of mites so right into quaruntine it went! Had to call Robbie and get the Nix solution recipe to start treating. Only,Robbie forgot to inform us that Nix makes for an angry,angry snake!!! LOL! I've got the snake soaking in the solution and I just went to check on it and I opened the shoebox and it came flying out a good distance and struck the heck out of my hand! I slowly walked to the tub and checked the water temp and it's good so I closed 'em back up for a little longer since I still see a lot of mites under the poor thing's chin. I'm thinking it's a snow however there is no coloring at all and the pattern is barely visible. The snake is in blue,though so I guess I won't really be able to tell until he sheds. I'll post pics in the photo gallery after shedding and mites are all gone.

Yeah,I did Kyle! It was 79. so not too cold not too warm. We took him out of the solution,wiped him down and he settled down a little. He's a quaruntine tub now with paper-towels. I'll post some pics of him in a few. He's really kind of beat up looking right now.

Wow, Mindy! Sounds like a giant! Hope all goes well with getting rid of the mites and that you're able to get pics soon.

Good luck and CONGRATS!

Okay,here's my beat up looking snake who I'm damn-near 100% positive is a regular 'ol snow. Now just have to get the poor thing sexed!

DSCF3939.jpg

DSCF3940.jpg

Now see all the markings on the side of his head? Those aren't mites! I can't figure out what it is for the life of me. I'm hoping it goes away when he sheds!

DSCF3941.jpg

DSCF3942.jpg

God I wince every time I hear "mites" now. I rescued 2 little amel girls who were positively coated with mites. All around their poor little eyeballs too. According to their previous owner it was "dirt" COME ON people dirt doesn't move!!

It took me several good soakings and a couple months of solid quarentine to get them all cleared up. This giant baby was lucky to find you =)

Can't wait to see pics!

Ali

The brown marks almost looks like small burns like from a heating rock. When I got my very first corn the Pet Co rep said that a Heating rock is just what my snake needs for the belly heat. Well now I know you cant really use those unless you put a thermostat control on it. My snake got a couple of burns on her neck that looked like that and with some simple shed treatment spray and a good couple of sheds and the burn colors where all gone.

Oh! That IS a big one! Pretty, too! Maybe the "dirt" stuff on his face is fecal matter? One of my hatchlings had a similar "stuff" on the side of her face last week, and, in her case, it could literally only be feces.

Congrats on the gorgeous snow, and good luck rehabilitating him/her! =)

Oh! I forgot to mention that Matt was a wussy-girl with him! LOL! I have to tease him! After I told him that I got struck he went in to check on him and used the lid to the tub to block his head! Quite funny and I had to call him out on the fact that so far only his daughter and wife have taken bites. He didn't like that so he reached in for him. Dang thing didn't bite him! Just lunged a couple of times. I gotta get this man bit!

Very nice rescue Min! The brown stuff on the head looks like it was kept on coconut bark or some thing simular. I got a snow last year that was kept on that stuff and it stuck in her scales for a little while. It could also be some old shed that didn't come off. Most will probably be gone after she sheds. I do see some thing on the upper eyelid though that could be a mite. :)

My BRB did a good job of making every other snake bite seem silly =)
Do you just keep your rescues or do you adopt them out Min?

Hey Blonde Chicka...

It appears to me to look a little like scale rot.. I would put money on it that the bedding was a bit moist most time for him/her... Keep the humidity down, and bed on paper for a few sheds ( this might take an extended amoutn of time ).. We had a Cali King do a similair type of thing and it took quite some time to clear these up...

I agree, your new feller/chicka looks to be a snow...

Regards.. Tim.. of T and J

Hey Blonde Chicka...

It appears to me to look a little like scale rot.. I would put money on it that the bedding was a bit moist most time for him/her... Keep the humidity down, and bed on paper for a few sheds ( this might take an extended amoutn of time ).. We had a Cali King do a similair type of thing and it took quite some time to clear these up...

I agree, your new feller/chicka looks to be a snow...

Regards.. Tim.. of T and J

Tim said exactly what I was going to say, definitely looks like scale rot to me and also s/he is a snow. When I rescued my snow he had the same problem but with proper care it went away with a few sheds. Just make sure when s/he sheds the skin comes off and doesn't just layer more.

Kudos for all the rescues you've been taking in, I love seeing threads about rescues finding new homes especially since I have a lot of them around here and they all hold a bigger part of my heart since they have been through so much and I put so much time and care in to bringing them back from deaths door but don't tell that to the rest of them I might get bit lol.

Congrats on your new addition!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

His bedding was walnut shells. Not sure if it was moist or not because we didn't take the enclosure with us. He was very mild-mannered when we got him out the first time and I discovered the mites. Here's the story...........We went into a little locally owned pet-store and saw this beast and we wanted him. The guy said he'd had him for a while now and hadn't had any luck in selling him. I asked where he got him from and he said Kingsnake.com. Well, as soon as we got him out, I immediately discovered he was covered in mites. The guy had never seen mites before and didn't even know what they were so I had to explain it all to him and explain that the other snakes in the store probably had them now too. He wasn't happy when I also explained what a pain in the rear it is to get rid of them. So we said we weren't going to buy the snake but we'd gladly take him for free. He agreed to let us take him. I asked him the name of the person from Kingsnake,but, he said he couldn't remember. MmmHmm.

He's in blue right now so I'm hoping the brown scales will come off when he sheds. I checked on beasty this morning and no mites on the papertowels or in the water dish. After he sheds I'll treat him again.

My BRB did a good job of making every other snake bite seem silly =)
Do you just keep your rescues or do you adopt them out Min?

Sorry! Forgot to answer your question! So far we've kept them all because I'm too soft-hearted and get attached easily to the ones in need. Doesn't mean that won't change eventually. Matt and I have been thinking about a way to set up an official reptile rescue and if we can do that,then I probably wouldn't be quite as attached. When we took in Stumpy the Beardie,I knew he didn't have much time left and everything I was doing was just to make him as comfortable as possible until he passed. Yeah,well I bawled for days on end over my Stumpy! He even has a little headstone in my front flower bed. THAT'S how attached I get.;)

Back