• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Rodent Pro

I've only used Rodentpro, so can't compare to any other companies, but I have been overall pleased with them. I will agree that their sizing can be quite varied, but that's really the only issue I've had. I've checked pricing through other companies from time to time, but after adding up all the costs, Rodentpro always comes in lowest, so I put up with the minor sizing issue. They did have a shipping error a few months back that caused the wrong order to be sent out, but they immediately corrected the situation in a very favorable manner. I'd give their customer service 5 stars after that.

BobM said:
I know this is a little off-topic, but what do you guys pay for live pinkies, I pay $2 at my local petstore. They said they charge so much because of "the cost to raise and breed the mice" But if these online stores can crank them out at 14-25 cents a piece and still turn a profit...it kinda makes me think i'm being ripped off...badly

When my guys were on pinks, I bought live for a buck each at my local pet store.

I've never ordered from rodentpro but when I looked at their website it said shipping of 50 large mice was going to be 35 bucks! I decided to look locally and now I just pick up from quality frozen rodents. I just think paying that much for shipping is crazy if you have a better option.

I've used many different companies over the years. Both Rodent Pro and Mice
Direct can sometimes have good product, but both can also have very bad product. By bad product I mean covered in feces, urine, and bedding, the smell horrible, and they are of uneven sizes. I currently have an order of rats from Mice Direct that I can't wait to get rid of, they are dirty, stinky, and the feezer bags are always rupturing at the seam. I don't expect my mice to be totally free from urine/feces but I do like to feed without having to hold back the gag reflex. I also hate that both companies use packaging that wastes space, a lot of space.
I always loved The Mouse Factory but I can't afford their pricing now that my collection has grown to 150+ animals. Now I order from http://www.bigcheeserodents.com/ their larger quantity prices are VERY competitive with Rodent Pro and the product and packaging is far superior. The mice are vacuumed packed in neat little trays that stack very well. The are clean, healthy, and of similar size. For those of you who don't have a spare freezer for the snake food, I can probably fit twice as much mice packaged by these two companies as the first two I mentioned.
If I'm short on money and Rodent Pro is having a super sale, I may stick my neck out and take a chance. However, most of the time I'm not in the mood for suprises so I go with Big Cheese.

bjc7487 said:
why is rodentpro bad? I've been using them for awhile and havent had any trouble :shrugs:

The first time I ordered from them they didn't use near enough dry ice and half of the shipment had thawed out. On top of that I had a bag of "fuzzies" that ranged in size from pinkies up to small mice. Only about half of the bag was actual fuzzies.

I figured it was a fluke so I gave them another chance; same thing. Half of the box was thawed out and every single bag of mice that was supposed to be one size had a HUGE range in size of mice.

When I contacted them about it, both times they told me that they used enough dry ice so it wasn't their fault and that there are variations from mouse to mouse so there will be some differences. The dry ice excuse was unacceptable and I get that there will be differences in animal to animal. But when there are pinkies and small adult mice in the same bag of "fuzzies" that is absolutley unacceptable.

Rodent Pro sucks and I'll never give them a cent of my business again. Big Cheese Rodents all the way!

I have exclusively used Big Cheese, mostly because they are here in TX and it is cheaper for shipping. Their prices are great, and as Carol mentioned, their packaging is wonderful. I just placed an order with Rodentpro for large pinks as I saw their last sale, so I will finally be able to compare what they have and come to a decision.

Rodent Pro has some of the best prices and variety I have ssen online, but I would be stocked for years if I filled a box! When I finally order online, I am thinking of using Big Cheese or perhaps The Mouse Factory.

laceyjane260 said:
When my guys were on pinks, I bought live for a buck each at my local pet store.

Yeah thats what I figured. Looks like I'm going to have a little "chat" with my local petstore and tell them that they'll either have to stop ripping me off or find some other sap to pay those prices and take my business elsewhere

It's pretty easy.....

Rodent Pro< Big Cheese < The Mouse Factory.

I've ordered from all three, and Rodent Pro is crap. The mice and rats I got were disgusting---covered in piss, bedding and crap. They did refund my entire order---which was about the only good thing I can say.

I'm actually not very impressed with Big Cheese either. Their mice are very small in comparison to The Mouse Factory.

Even though TMF is more expensive, it's well worth it. The growth rates have been much better on TMF mice and you're getting what you pay for. They might be a bit more expensive, but it is totally worth it. My TMF fuzzies are bigger than Big Cheese's hoppers.

Joejr14 said:
I'm actually not very impressed with Big Cheese either. Their mice are very small in comparison to The Mouse Factory.

The Mouse Factory must have some HUGE mice then. All the ones I've gotten from Big Cheese have been nice and robust. I may think about doing an order from them just to check it out.

carol said:
mice are vacuumed packed in neat little trays that stack very well.
I'm only feeding 10 animals so I ended up getting a FoodSaver. First thing I do is seperate according to how I think I'll be feeding over the next few months and vac pac enough to feed for a few weeks at a time. This way the rest stay fresh for as long as I need them to.

my $.03, like it or not

well, it just so happens that the day this thread gets started, i/we get our first shipment in from Rodent Pro. paul (pcar) had posted earlier and we actually had both gone in together for a small little order for needed food and to try them out. we had both been checking prices recently out of 8-10 different suppliers and next to MiceDirect, RP was the cheapest (product + shipping = per mouse price). MD was out of pinkys the day i was going to order so we decided to give RP a shot. note: after reading Carols post about MD, i can see why they are so cheap. if every shipment comes like this one, i will keep giving them my business. i am not a paid spokesperson for them nor do i recieve anything for this, i just thought that i would add to a thread tilted "Rodent Pro".
the box shipped tuesday and arrived today (thursday) while i was at work so i didn't even get to open it until around 8:30 tonight. when i did open it, i was amazed at the quality of foam wrapping and quantity of dry ice that was still in blocks (3 in all). now granted they do charge their shipping in a "per box" type price and ours was only 15% full. so yes, we could have actually ordered more feeders and not have spent allot more on the shipping as it does not go up much after the initial box charge (maybe a few dollars). anyway, for 400 large pinkies and 100 fuzzies we paid $98.00 shipped which comes out to just under $.20 per meal. not to bad if you ask me, and i looked over every bag and physically did not see anything foriegn inside (bedding, feces, bugs, nails, tires, etc). now there were a few broken legs/arms but the best thing to see was 400 pink colored pinkies and 100 solid black fuzzies that were frozen. i burnt (ice burn) my hands taking the paper wrapped block ice out of the box and then burnt them again picking up the mouse bags to place in the freezer as they were that cold. (worst one was taking the picture) OUCH !

the only thing i could agree to with some of the previous posts would be that i HAVE seen pinkies a little larger when labled as large, but these by no means are of the small variety. each bag consisted of what it was supposed to, i did not have any hoppers in my pinkies or rat pups in my fuzzies. overall i would rate it a 9.9 on a scale to 10 and it was worth it even if i just got to see my kids have fun with the dry ice in a sink full of water. LOL

anyway, thought i would post these for some newer people to see what to expect when you get a shipment of mice. sorry for rambling, just trying to give some good information and let people who are doing it for their first time know what to expect. i am pretty sure other people could post something like this about another company as well................and nothing against the other companies, i just wanted to add to this thread.

galen

Attachments

• order.JPG
    order.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 65
  • order1.JPG
    order1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 65
  • order2.JPG
    order2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 65
  • order3.JPG
    order3.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 64
  • order4.JPG
    order4.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 64
DAND said:
Like Danny, I take advantage of Rodent Pro being at the local show. Though I pick up quite a bit more than Danny does, they only charge me for the packing and dry ice on large orders.
He only picks up more then me because I haven't learned how to pick a lock yet ..
..I know where you live.:devil01:

dwyn127 said:
He only picks up more then me because I haven't learned how to pick a lock yet ..
..I know where you live.:devil01:

Ah, new prey for Abigail. Then maybe Danny wants to spend time with some of my spiders, scorps and centipedes. :dgrin:

Back