• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Royal (Ball) Python Advice Needed

Offer feed after the shed is over...

Don't bug him/her.

Let things happen, and be patient.

Has shed perfectly today, but is still not interested in food. The shop has been feeding him mouse fuzzies. Is that ok or should he be on rat pups.Will leave reggie till his normal feeding day before attempting to feed again. Am using f/t and will keep using f/t unless i get absolutely desperate.

Has shed perfectly today, but is still not interested in food. The shop has been feeding him mouse fuzzies. Is that ok or should he be on rat pups.Will leave reggie till his normal feeding day before attempting to feed again. Am using f/t and will keep using f/t unless i get absolutely desperate.

Rat pups may be too big for him at this stage. If he won't accept F/T mouse fuzzies, try F/T gerbil fuzzies instead. If your local pet shop has them, ask them to freeze some of the fuzzies for you.

You don't need to freak out unless Reggie is losing weight. You should weigh him asap so that you can keep track of his weight. If he refuses F/T mice, gerbil, and hamster fuzzies, try feeding him a live fuzzie (but I'd save that as a last resort).

My royal will only eat F/T if I jiggle the F/T mouse fuzzie for a loooooong time. It's like she has to really think about it before she'll eat it. She just doesn't have a very active feeding response yet, but she's getting better.

I know it's difficult, but try not to stress too much. Reggies is OK as long as he's not losing weight. :)

Thanks for the advice guys. Reggie is ok and not losing weight. Still not interested in food, but will try and get hold of some gerbil fuzzies. Have brought the Ball Python Manual and been reading up on ball's. Will weigh him/her asap and keep an eye on his/her weight. does anyone know whether it is legal to feed live mice/ rats in the UK. I have been told its illegal, by my reptile store.

does anyone know whether it is legal to feed live mice/ rats in the UK. I have been told its illegal, by my reptile store.

i like saying - "Its only cheating if you get caught"
same applies here I think - but you should exahust all other options before feeding live. If its the only way to get your snake to eat I say go for it. I dont think its been that long though and you shouldn't give up on the F/T just yet - but thats just me.

Your reptile store is wrong.... If the snakes life depends on it and your not filming it for youtube or public entertainment, it's OK......Some say you may need a letter off a vet to say it was needed..... But like Fn said 'Don't get caught', and you won't if you don't tell anyone.....gerbils are a pain if your snake decides it likes them and refuses everything else.

Thanks for the advice guys. Reggie is ok and not losing weight. Still not interested in food, but will try and get hold of some gerbil fuzzies. Have brought the Ball Python Manual and been reading up on ball's. Will weigh him/her asap and keep an eye on his/her weight. does anyone know whether it is legal to feed live mice/ rats in the UK. I have been told its illegal, by my reptile store.
It's legal to save a non-feeding snake, as long as it's not in public, and as long as you can't be said to be causing unnecessary suffering to the prey. But it can be difficult to convert a live-feeding snake to f/t, I've got 3 corns who I've converted to fresh-killed, that would rather starve than take f/t.

Thanks again guys for the advice. I am not giving up on the F/T yet, but was curious incase i got absolutely desperate. How long should I give Reggie before i should start to worry. Am hoping it is just due to moving into his/her new home. I am not handling Reggie at the moment and am only going into change water.

Back