• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Saw this and thought of you, Rich

From everything I have read and seen, the Benelli is the fastest semi-auto out there. Just what i need a quicker way to burn through shells.

We have a "rifle line" about half way up the state. Anything above the line and you and use a rifle, muzzle loader, handgun, bow. Below the line and it is shotgun, handgun, muzzle loader, bow only. The imaginary line is about a half hour north of me, so I do my fair share of each type. I'm not a big slug fan, but the 3 1/2" 00 buck shot seems to work great for those close in shots. This season I am "down grading" to the .44 ruger carbine for my deer ventures. I normally carry my 7mm, but I moved my stand this spring and now there is no shot over 80 yards, so I really don't need to bring out the big guns, so to speak.

All this shooting/hunting talk and still three more weeks to early goose season...yet another reminder time to break out the duck/goose calls and pratice...oh the people here at work love this time of year....:D

Ken

Wow!

Reading all this stuff brought me to the realization that I haven't been to the firing range in MONTHS!!!!

I'm not a very big person, so I've had to stick with the smaller handguns. (Not that I haven't done my fair share of drooling over the occasional custom rifle or two, and I'd STILL love to have a nice Ruger-I spent 8 years in Germany, watching friends competing with them.)

I fell in love with the Browning 380 the minute it hit my hand! I have very long fingers, and its' rosewood grip was a beautiful fit.

I also am a big fan of the Walther ppk.
NOT the ppkS, or any of the dozens of knock-offs thereof!
The good, solid, old style ppk.

As you can tell, I'm not a ''competitor" by a long shot! :)

But my little 380 and I have been VERY successful at scaring off racoons, oppossums, and the occasional other annoying critter (neighbor) that may show up on my property with ill-intent.

By the way, Rich, I imagine that once you shot the eye off a gnat, you could, theoretically, feed the gnat to one of your geckos.....but what do you feed the squirrels to? LOL

The squirrels around here made a severe mistake by messing with my bamboo groves. I have several stands of the giant timber bamboo and the last couple of years the squirrels have nearly completely destroyed the new shoots that came up. They would wait until the culms would reach 20 ft tall or so and them climb up and chew the very tops of the shoots. This would kill the culm. Really aggravated me to see 4 inch diameter bamboo culms dying because of those little darn tree rats.

Now I like squirrels. But I happen to like my bamboo more. Anyone whom has ever tried to convince a squirrel to stay out of a bird feeder knows what a lost cause that is. So I have no other choice but to move them on into the promised land of squirreldom. I am not happy about this, but that's the way it is. I tried a live trap, but you will catch exactly one of them before the rest figure out what it is for and will not go inside for anything.

As for what happens to the squirrels that I dispatch, there appears to be a cleanup crew around here that will remove the carcasses over night.

I have been using whichever one of my Ruger 10/22s that happened to be handy at the time. I have to sight in my Remington in .17 HMR, but I have my doubts I will be able to shoot it without ear protection. I do have electronic earmuffs, but they are not very good for pinpointing direction of the source of a sound, so are a hindrance when you need to hear what's going on around you.

Oh well. Probably going to be a couple of months before I'll have any time to do any shooting. I bought a Barrett model 95 last month and haven't even put a round through it yet.

Rich,
The squirrel and the bird feeder saga...I see it every day!

I live "out in the country" and have woods as a backyard. There are deer, turkeys, pheasants, rabbits, a million birds and of course the squirrels. Now I don't mind the grey squirrels, but the red squirrels they are just evil. I had just put up a new feeder with 4 pounds of food in it, within two hours I look out the window and there was a red squirrel inside the feeder. He has chewed through the top of the feeder and crawled inside. that happend to be the day I was in the mood for target practice. The price of a new feeder was well worth knowing that squrriel and the .22 remington hollow point had a nice meeting. And of course we all know who came out on top...

BTW: if you want to send that Barrett up to me, I'll get a few rounds out of it for you:D

Ken

Oooooooo, a Barrett 95......

No, Ken,

He wants to send it to ME for its' first 100 rounds or so!!! :D
(That's probably all I could handle. Ha! Ha!)

That way, it'll be broken in with a gentle, lady's touch, then ready to roar for the rowdies!!!!! LOL

Hope you get to go out and play with that new toy, soon, Rich.

I guess I should show you all my Barrett collection...

model82A1.jpg

model95.jpg

model99.jpg

:D

And people wonder how Rich is able to keep the secrets of his cornsnake genetics out of competitors' hands!

Excellant weaponry, Rich!

:cool:

Darin Chappell said:
And people wonder how Rich is able to keep the secrets of his cornsnake genetics out of competitors' hands!

Excellant weaponry, Rich!

:cool:

Darin,
And he can keep it our of thier hands at hundreds if not a thousand yards with those puppies! Please excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard...

Ken

Happiness is launching 750 grains of lead at 2800 feet per second... :D

Notice the muzzle brakes on the ends of the barrels. Makes all the difference in the world. The manual STRONGLY recommends against firing the guns without the muzzle brake attached or the shooter can suffer something called "retinal separation". That certainly sounds unpleasant enough to me to not try it.

Also, I recommend ear plugs AND ear muffs while shooting .50BMG. The pressure wave will clear up any sinus problems you may be having. :D

Actually, shooting these rifles is more pleasant than shooting a 12 gauge shotgun. To me, anyway. Remember that these guns weigh 20 to 35 pounds. It is more like a giant irresistible push against the shoulder rather than a recoil slam. But I do recommend welding your cheek to the stock when you pull the trigger. Otherwise the place where your eyebrow is will have the end of the scope sitting there at the same time. Ouch!

You RIDE with these puppies.

Rich Z said:
Notice the muzzle brakes on the ends of the barrels. Makes all the difference in the world. The manual STRONGLY recommends against firing the guns without the muzzle brake attached or the shooter can suffer something called "retinal separation". That certainly sounds unpleasant enough to me to not try it.

Rich,
Shooting without a muzzle break could cause "shoulder separation" I would imagine!

I watched a buddy of mine put a scope on his muzzle loader, and it looked way too close to me. Sure enough he shot, scope came back and split him open. He though he didn't hold the gun tight, so my other (not so smart) friend does the same thing and the scope hit the bridge of his nose. So here are two guys standing around bleeding all over then they ask me if I want to try and see what they were doing wrong. Of course I had to pass!

and they claim I'm not a smart one...:D

Ken

Interesting thing to know about Swarovski scopes: They have a rubber pad on the eyepiece and also will give about a half inch with spring tension. So if the scope does contact your face, it will not inflict damage. Well, at least it won't draw blood.

Any scope on a high recoiling rifle should have a minimum of 4 inches of eye relief.

I've got a 6x24 variable Swarovski on the Model 95 Barrett. When I crank the power up to 24x, I have to get uncomfortably close to that eyepiece. I doubt I will be inclined to shoot it that way. The 95 is the lightest of the three Barretts I have, so I imagine it may want to roll me back a bit more than the other two.

Darn! I'm getting the itch to go shooting now. But it's been raining every day here since about forever. And with the workload with the hatchlings and getting orders out the door, I just don't see that happening. I thought it was a treat to take time to walk down to the mailbox today......

I notice the same thing when I turn my pentax up to 14X, i have to be WAY to close for my liking. I would hate to get hit with that! I like my nose the way it is:D

No kidding it is about time to get to the range. I know I have to get in the "swing" of things before bird season, which starts Sept 1st...WOO HOO

You must have a walk in gun safe Rich!

Thanks everyone for a very enjoyable discussion! Makes me want to go out and buy more guns right now!

Actually I have two vaults. One of them is filled with black powder. So anyone wanting to break into them better be careful about making a spark. :D

All this talk about shooting has got my trigger finger itching for deer season! This weekend, my five-year-old son and I are going out to scout a suitable stand spot!

:D

Darin,
No kidding, all I have to do is walk past my window about 7pm and there are 2 four points in my back yard. I just let the dog out and there was 1 jake, 3 hens, and about 10 baby turkeys all within 20 yards of the house...gotta love this "country" livin'..

Rich,
One vualt full of black powder, with as many guns as you have I can imagine how much you would spend if you didn't reload. Although I'm wondering when you have time to actaully use the reloader though...

Ken

Yeah, I hear you. I enjoy reloading, but it is very time consuming. I have enough powder to reload for years without buying new components.

I think I need to put a sign on the door in case there is ever a fire here:

IN CASE OF FIRE, RUN!!

Rich,
I've done shotgun shells only and that was enough for me. I figured for 3.99-4.99 a box I might as well just buy them...Although i may look back into it, since shooting steel is expensive. Those 3 1/2" 12GA shell are about 19-24 a box for 10 shells. For the good stuff...

Ken

Back