• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scared snake, new environment?

RedCloud

I just got my corn yesterday, and I took him out today to give him a little soak in some warm water. He has peeling skin on the back of his neck and the humidity is a bit low in my house (27%). I'm gonna make him a humid hide soon, I really wanna get that skin off. When I took the top off he recoiled into his hide, I picked it up and he was all coiled up. Not looking so friendly lol I've never been bitten by a snake and at that moment I was actually afraid xD It took me like 5-7min to get him out. He soaked for 20ish min and getting him out was a pain. He curled up and had his head raised up. When I finally picked up up he went nuts whipping around like crazy. The second his nose touched the aspen he DRILLED in there and was gone in 5sec flat. He's obviously terrified of me :( Anything I can do? I'm not gonna handle him until the end of the week (feeding) so he can get comfy. How should I be picking him up? I have no choice but to go from the top. I just usually touch him and see his reaction, then grab him. I *am* using both hands to support him. I know I'm a sissy for being afraid of him striking but it's more of a fear of the unknown. I've been torn up by cats n birds n dogs so pain isn't the issue lol I'm that kinda person who doesn't like jump out scenes in horror movies so the sudden striking kinda unnerves me xD Sorry the boxes look like crap I'm getting new hides soon >< He hasn't moved from the cool side since I put him back.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393914654.925987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a baby and you're a big scary monster that might want to eat him. Leave him alone for a week, then start slow with short sessions. Build up your time with him over a few weeks. It's normal for them to be scared in a new environment.

He's a baby and you're a big scary monster that might want to eat him. Leave him alone for a week, then start slow with short sessions. Build up your time with him over a few weeks. It's normal for them to be scared in a new environment.

He's not exactly a baby xD The water dish makes him look small haha He's 3yrs old :) But yea I'll let him be for a while to get adjusted.

As hard as it is to leave them alone, give him a week before even trying to handle him. Walk slowly by the viv often so that he gets to know you and get more comfortable with you walking by. It is a new home and environment, so no matter how old he is he will still be nervous.

Don't feed him for at least a week, maybe next Tuesday, and don't handle him for 2-3 days after that. When you do go to pick him up, do not touch him first, that will just scare him. Be confident, DON'T try to pick him up from above, come in from the side and quickly scoop him up in one motion. Put the other hand immediately under him too so he is secure.

If you do join the "Bite Club", it isn't nearly as bad as cat scratches and bites. It may draw a little blood but it feels like the hard side of velcro being rubbed on your skin. It IS the fear of the unknown "jump" that is the worst part, but go in with confidence and your snake will know it.

Congrats on your new baby!

As hard as it is to leave them alone, give him a week before even trying to handle him. Walk slowly by the viv often so that he gets to know you and get more comfortable with you walking by. It is a new home and environment, so no matter how old he is he will still be nervous.

Don't feed him for at least a week, maybe next Tuesday, and don't handle him for 2-3 days after that. When you do go to pick him up, do not touch him first, that will just scare him. Be confident, DON'T try to pick him up from above, come in from the side and quickly scoop him up in one motion. Put the other hand immediately under him too so he is secure.

If you do join the "Bite Club", it isn't nearly as bad as cat scratches and bites. It may draw a little blood but it feels like the hard side of velcro being rubbed on your skin. It IS the fear of the unknown "jump" that is the worst part, but go in with confidence and your snake will know it.

Congrats on your new baby!

Thanks, I'll most certainly let him be for the week! I feel horrible for startling the poor guy but I get a little OCD about things like peely skin. I was also terrified that he might have moved the probe for the UTH thermostat. In fact I didn't sleep at all for fear that he would escape during the night. (I do have clips). But I guess a full night of my face pressed up against the glass wasn't getting off to a good start xD Thanks for the advice!

Not gonna lie. Depending on how much "peely skin" there is, and if there's any full body stuck shed, particularly near the tail... wouldn't it be wise to forego the standard week, and keep trying to get the old shed off. And then let it settle in? Sure, you'll have a scared fellow for a little bit, but at least he'll still have his tail and health. Anyone else *cough*Nanci*cough* feel free to chime in with better advice or counter opinion if i'm wrong please.

Not gonna lie. Depending on how much "peely skin" there is, and if there's any full body stuck shed, particularly near the tail... wouldn't it be wise to forego the standard week, and keep trying to get the old shed off. And then let it settle in? Sure, you'll have a scared fellow for a little bit, but at least he'll still have his tail and health. Anyone else *cough*Nanci*cough* feel free to chime in with better advice or counter opinion if i'm wrong please.

I'm not sure how much shed he has! He only has a few visible while peeling areas, one of the back if his neck , one on his tummy and a few along his back. I *think* his tail tip is ok. Here's a picture of his neck. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393945864.856689.jpg I'm not sure if it's left over shed or if he is going into shed and those spots are coming off first. These are the only pictures I have as now is in his warm hide and hasn't come out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393946029.952956.jpg

He doesn't look bad in the photo...

Yea. So I guess it's ok to leave him for a bit? The soak didn't seem to help much anyways, his neck is still peely. From the side view some of the skin sticking up is the same color as his scales which worries me a bit. Aren't sheds supposed to be white? I don't want his health in jeopardy and I also don't want him stressed horribly. He is 3yrs so he isn't going to be growing as fast as a baby, so wouldn't it take a bit before that skin becomes an issue?

Thanks for the help guys, sorry for the nagging ><

The shed will retain some light pigmenting, so not necessarily white. My classic's shed is extremely pale with very light brownish-grey splotches where his saddles would be. My snow's shed is white/clear.

The shed will retain some light pigmenting, so not necessarily white. My classic's shed is extremely pale with very light brownish-grey splotches where his saddles would be. My snow's shed is white/clear.

I thought at first he was hurt or something. Still a bit worried cause it's a pretty dark red, but I guess it's just noob nerves D:

Nah, he looks fine to me ;)
After you have let him settle for about a week or so (and you can pass on his regularly scheduled feeding at this point if it is within that week, if you like - you won't starve him), when you handle him, try your best not to hesitate! That creates fear. If you go in steadily and confidently, and scoop him up with both hands likes spaghetti, things should work out.

Try not to think about being bitten. If it happens, it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. I personally would rather get bit and not see it coming, anyways! It doesn't get you all worked up and nervous, and really doesn't hurt at all.

Best of luck :)

Agreed let huim rest a little a week or so. I had to do that with my snake. She was stressed from moving all the time and once she calmed down she was easy to handle and she shed with no issue.

Nah, he looks fine to me ;)
After you have let him settle for about a week or so (and you can pass on his regularly scheduled feeding at this point if it is within that week, if you like - you won't starve him), when you handle him, try your best not to hesitate! That creates fear. If you go in steadily and confidently, and scoop him up with both hands likes spaghetti, things should work out.

Try not to think about being bitten. If it happens, it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. I personally would rather get bit and not see it coming, anyways! It doesn't get you all worked up and nervous, and really doesn't hurt at all.

Best of luck :)

Glad to hear you think he looks ok! Def won't feed him till next week, he doesn't seem like he'd eat anyways. And yea I guess I filled that whole tank with fear xD I had my mom watching me like a hawk and I was thinking "Oh god if he bites me she's gonna make me take him back! o.o" along with the fact I wasn't so keen on being chomped on either lol I will try to be a lot more confident next time I handle him, and less worried about those tiny teeth and snake disliking moms. xD Thanks!

Agreed let huim rest a little a week or so. I had to do that with my snake. She was stressed from moving all the time and once she calmed down she was easy to handle and she shed with no issue.

Hope my guy chills out like yours did! He was very cool in the animal shelter so hopefully he just needs to settle :) Thanks!

I just got my girl for Valentines (14th); she was quite nervous at first but settled down within the week. Now she is as docile as can be, and will actually come to me out of her terrarium.
Snakes live through their sense of smell and imagine how many new scents/sounds she is being bombarded with! He/she will get used to their new environment and to you, don't worry!
:)

Back