• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scared snake, new environment?

I just got my girl for Valentines (14th); she was quite nervous at first but settled down within the week. Now she is as docile as can be, and will actually come to me out of her terrarium.
Snakes live through their sense of smell and imagine how many new scents/sounds she is being bombarded with! He/she will get used to their new environment and to you, don't worry!
:)

Glad to hear he will most likely calm down in a week or two. It probably doesn't help I have a super curious cat who wants to be all up on him 24/7. I hope he doesn't smell him as a predator and freak out xD I'm hoping once he starts getting food he'll realize I'm not out to eat him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with the cat. Cats can and do bust through screen lids on snake vivs all the time.

Be careful with the cat. Cats can and do bust through screen lids on snake vivs all the time.

That was originally a concern of mine but I'm not really too worried as he doesn't show much interest In sitting on top of the lid. Actually he's not interested at all unless the snake is outside his Viv or very active inside. Then he sits with his face pressed up against the glass. Chipotle doesn't seem to mind him and my cat is too scared to get too close. Just in case I also have clips and bungee cords on the tank to prevent any escapes or the lid coming off. :)

Backing up Nanci's warning on this one. Not gonna say your cat ever will, but it's definitely something that deserves the extra caution. Cause if the cat gets hold of the screen lid while you're not around, no amount of clips or bungee will prevent an escape out the brand new big hole in the screen itself.

Backing up Nanci's warning on this one. Not gonna say your cat ever will, but it's definitely something that deserves the extra caution. Cause if the cat gets hold of the screen lid while you're not around, no amount of clips or bungee will prevent an escape out the brand new big hole in the screen itself.

Hmm? Really? My cats claws are always clipped and he's actually missing quite a few teeth. The screen mesh seems pretty strong metal. Anything else I can do to prevent him from wreaking havoc on Chipotle's life?

I have 4 cats and several glass tanks with screen tops which range from 10g to 40g. Each cat has crashed through at least one screen top once. They seem to love crashing through my poor bearded dragons top. We have just changed her viv around. We place books and boards over the tops of all the screen tops that the cats can climb on top of. This prevents them from crashing through. I must add, however, I haven't had the cats tear through the screen top with their claws or teeth trying to get to the snakes. (knock on wood)

I have 4 cats and several glass tanks with screen tops which range from 10g to 40g. Each cat has crashed through at least one screen top once. They seem to love crashing through my poor bearded dragons top. We have just changed her viv around. We place books and boards over the tops of all the screen tops that the cats can climb on top of. This prevents them from crashing through. I must add, however, I haven't had the cats tear through the screen top with their claws or teeth trying to get to the snakes. (knock on wood)

Hmm. I would get a plank of wood the same size of the tank cover but I would think that would cut off the air circulation? Maybe I should just slip thin plank under the bungee so he could walk along it? I didn't think it would be such an issue as a lot of people here seem to have cats!

I put the boards cattycornered over the top of the vivs or at an angle. On Redrum's viv I have a big stuffed T-Rex on one side and an old text book at an angle on the other end. It keeps the kitties off the tops. You can also put double sided tape along the edges of the top of the screen. For some odd reason, double sided tape drives them bonkers and they will leave that area be.

I have an old lady cat who all the sudden decided that she wanted to crawl inside the bookshelves and lay on the screen tops of the snake vivs. So now I have empty 20 pack dr. pepper boxes that prevent her from squeezing her fat butt up in there. LOL

You just got to be creative and find what works. You have to be more persistent than you cat tho hehe

It's not so much that they try to break in. Cats want to sit on the snakes, and the screen lids can't handle it.

I'm gonna get rid of my wife's cat for sitting on my snakes cages lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

What kind of screen lid do you have?
The ones I'm thinking of that could break or tear are those flimsy mesh lids... the kind that are build in to critter cages or what have you.
I don't think a cat could break through the sturdy metal lids. In fact I'm near certain, as when I had them my partner and I tried to customize them (with tools and everything!) and it didn't go as planned. Needless to say we gave up and used weights to hold down the lid.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066755&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No

This is a metal lid, if you don't already have one. They usually come in a variety of sizes to fit most glass tanks.

That's not to say a cat couldn't get in one... they can be pretty clever! But break it, I highly doubt. Unless anyone has seen this (a part from what was already mentioned above, as I assumed those are the other kind of mesh lids). That would be incredible!

It's not so much that they try to break in. Cats want to sit on the snakes, and the screen lids can't handle it.

Right, it is more of them crashing through the screen. It is something about the tops of the tanks that they love to lay on. Sort of like cats are all drawn to boxes and will find a way to fit themselves inside of one just to lay in.

What kind of screen lid do you have?

The ones I'm thinking of that could break or tear are those flimsy mesh lids... the kind that are build in to critter cages or what have you.

I don't think a cat could break through the sturdy metal lids. In fact I'm near certain, as when I had them my partner and I tried to customize them (with tools and everything!) and it didn't go as planned. Needless to say we gave up and used weights to hold down the lid.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066755&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No

This is a metal lid, if you don't already have one. They usually come in a variety of sizes to fit most glass tanks.

That's not to say a cat couldn't get in one... they can be pretty clever! But break it, I highly doubt. Unless anyone has seen this (a part from what was already mentioned above, as I assumed those are the other kind of mesh lids). That would be incredible!

Your link doesn't work for me, but what I have is kind of a metal mesh. It doesn't seem flimsy but to be honest it doesn't look like it could hold up to a fat cat butt sitting on it 24/7. I only really purchased it because it has a door and doesn't require me to take off all the clips and bungee cords for water changing and feeding. I'm going to be putting some double stick tape around the edges of the lid and maybe some wood. I've never actually seen him SIT on top of the cage, he sometimes very rarely will jump up and walk across very quickly because he knows that's a no no zone xD I used to have a metal lid with holes in it on a tiny 2 gallon tank that had little swivel locks. I've can't seem to find it in any large sizes and I'm not sure how secure those swivel locks are...

When I was a kid I had a ten gallon tank that held a variety of animals over the course of my childhood. My dad made a lid for it with hardware cloth, I guess you call it. It's metal screen, with about quarter inch holes, and if you bend it, it holds its shape. So he made a cover, with edges that extended down the sides about an inch. It would pop on and off. I wonder if you could make something like that, to go over the regular screen.

Get some pigeon spikes like they put on windowsills they don't want pigeons to poop on! JK...mostly. :crazy02:

Back