• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scary UTH Event

Yes, you are correct--all we can get in Vernon is Exo-Terra UTH which is supposed to have a temperature that it gets to and not above that, but that is exactly the type which caught fire this AM. Thanks Nanci, was just coming to look for a web site. Only thing is, will the ship to Canada or have a Canadian suplier. I'll go see. I'll ask on the Canadian part of this forum as well.

Contact Greg West at http://www.cornelsworld.com and he will hook you up with a Herpstat. Awesome customer service and very fast!!

I just have to say, GOD DAMMIT EXO TERRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And T Rex, and Zilla, and Flukers... they all make the same mats, the same way. None will consider a thermostat, because 99% of the buying public won't buy a heat mat if it's 70 bucks. It's sad but true. There are few solid product lines I've found between hobby and professional. You have to either invest money or build. And even then, there's a risk. Like I said, I've had Flexwatt burn numerous times. Granted, I've had 100+ strips of it plugged in for years at a time, but it does burn, and I'd wager at a higher rate than quality UTH.

Yes T Rex and Zilla and Flukers etc, I have only had personal correspondence with Exo Terra though, lol so that's the only one I mentioned.

How many times have you had flexwatt burn, was it wired up via soldering or clips?

Wow, Chip your poor beardie and that is a scary picture!

So what steps do you all take besides thermostats to do your best to keep your critters safe? I am going to have a tile base on which the tanks will rest, or is there something more fire resistant that anyone has used? Smoke detectors over vivs would make sense, but no use if you aren't home.
Anyone else using an arc fault circuit breaker? Other ideas?

Back to Exo-Terra--the rep was actually in the store at the time I went down to see about a replacement UTH and I was told (second hand by the staff) that he said "it must have been abused" and he has never seen that otherwise. Well, maybe--since I did not have that heater (or tank or any of the rest of the set-up before Sept), I don't know, although nothing looked bent or twisted, and the tank in general looked well cared for. It now sounds to me after input from you guys that this is not that unusual a problem, when no thermostat is used, and now as mentioned above, even with at least some thermostats it can happen.

I'll continue to discuss the issue with my husband (electrician) and see if there is anything else we come up with, and hope to hear from anyone else with good ideas on safe use of UTHs.

Wow, Chip your poor beardie and that is a scary picture!

So what steps do you all take besides thermostats to do your best to keep your critters safe? I am going to have a tile base on which the tanks will rest, or is there something more fire resistant that anyone has used? Smoke detectors over vivs would make sense, but no use if you aren't home.
Anyone else using an arc fault circuit breaker? Other ideas?

Back to Exo-Terra--the rep was actually in the store at the time I went down to see about a replacement UTH and I was told (second hand by the staff) that he said "it must have been abused" and he has never seen that otherwise. Well, maybe--since I did not have that heater (or tank or any of the rest of the set-up before Sept), I don't know, although nothing looked bent or twisted, and the tank in general looked well cared for. It now sounds to me after input from you guys that this is not that unusual a problem, when no thermostat is used, and now as mentioned above, even with at least some thermostats it can happen.

I'll continue to discuss the issue with my husband (electrician) and see if there is anything else we come up with, and hope to hear from anyone else with good ideas on safe use of UTHs.

Pffft of course the Exo Terra rep said that. Their reps have never owned reptiles in their life. They have no idea on their care, nor do they spend their free time researching reptiles.

Personally I use a thermostat and everything is plugged into grounded surge protectors. Herpstats have a "soft start" meaning they shouldn't start at full power. They start at minimum power and slowly power on until the desired temp is reached. They also have a resettable fuse. If any wattage is exceeded, the fuse flips and cuts all power to anything plugged into it. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I'm not an electrician.

Yeah I find it quite alarming that you've had it burn multiple times!!

We all know that is CAN be dangerous. But keep in mind flexwatt is not only used in the reptile industry. It is used underneath hardwood, laminate, linoleum, slate, as well as behind mirrors etc. And from what I googled, I could not find any fires started by radiant heat flooring. Mind you I only spent a few minutes on it, but I digress.

In any case, flexwatt needs to be checked regularly, as does ANY heating device to be used near living animals. Luckily my racks have a recessed groove about 1.5-2 mm (not sure what that is in inches...1/16" maybe?) that the flexwatt actually sits in, so no tubs EVER come into contact with it. I do not trust racks with sliding bins that glide overtop of the flexwatt. Over time this wears down the plastic coating and can expose the heating elements in the flexwatt. This is why it is SOOOOO important for everybody to check their heating elements for defects periodically. I usually do it about once a month. When I'm cleaning bins I just pull them all the way out and shine a light in there to make sure nothing is funky with the plastic or with the wiring.

Another precaution, we have XPVC racks which are a lot more fire-resistant than racks or melamine.

Obviously the snakes, cage decor, substrate , and the rest of the room are NOT fire resistant by any means, but it's just one more level of peace of mind for me and my critters.

In any case, flexwatt needs to be checked regularly, as does ANY heating device to be used near living animals. Luckily my racks have a recessed groove about 1.5-2 mm (not sure what that is in inches...1/16" maybe?) that the flexwatt actually sits in, so no tubs EVER come into contact with it.

I never thought about this! I was planning to build a melamine rack soon since some of my snakes need their bins switched. I'll keep this in mind!

I'd like that answered, Chip.

Hey, I just woke up! That UTH was the only one I've had catch fire, I've had a bunch fail in the "off" position. I'd say I have had Flexwatt burn at least 5 times, ranging from minor to catastrophic. Only one was soldiered -all were on a thermostat. Part of the issue is few people have a proper Flexwatt crimping tool. You can use a wrench, soldering iron, and clips, but it's imperfect. Still, most of my heat tape has burned in the middle, not at the connection. Where another problem can manifest is, you can have ten+ rows of heat tape on a rack. Only one of those has a thermostat probe on it. If another one shorts out and overheats, nothing tells the thermostat to turn it off until WAY too late. If you see even a crinkle in your heat tape, replace it! I do believe a GFCI can only help. Not allowing the tub to make contact with the heat tape is another safety barrier. Also, people don't want to hear this, but I think it is wise for most people to pay the extra money and buy a commercial rack. Or at least measure and have RBI or someone cut it to length and wire the FW for you.

All this said, UTHs and heat tape are, in my opinion FAR safer than light bulbs for heat. Anyone who has kept basking lizards knows the smell of burning plastic well. :sidestep:

I soldered my own flexwatt to extension cords. I have 5 rows hooked up to a powerstrip which is regulated by the thermostat. With 5 thermometers with probes.
I've heard flexwatt is safer and is better off soldered rather than using clips.

Hi KyGirl--the product at the link above is still a ground fault breaker to prevent elctrical shocks to people, but won't shut things off when an arc fault (electricity jumping between wires when it shouldn't as best I understand it!) occurs to prevent a fire. I have made a couple of inquiries to see if anyone makes such a thing that can be plugged in like an extension cord--would be more convenient than the arc fault circuit breakers currently available that have to go into an electrical panel. I wish I knew an electrical engineer who would desgn and make one for me!

I have three electricians in my family. The way they explained a ground fault circuit, it shuts off when a power surge/over load occurs, cutting the power to the item plugged in. Once something is on fire, it wouldn't put it out though.

I'm now scared that an unregulated heat pad is gona burn my house down. What can I do? I need re-assurance?

As suggested by others previously, I have been in contact with Dion at Spyder Robotics and he has been quite helpful. Sounds like he knows his stuff and has good products that will help with safety.

Back