• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Set ups

Energi2er said:
Knox: What do you use for substrate?

Marine grade indoor/outdoor carpet. They use it in boats and you can get it at Lowe's. I got mine by the linear foot, and it was six feet wide. I bought 2 feet and paid around $9. I now have 3 pre-cut strips for each tank, so swapping them out for cleaning is a breeze.

Here's some pics of ours...

DSC01655.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

This is an old picture of my setup before I decorated the tanks:

woodenclose.jpg

Each tank is nicely decorated like this now:

right-tank-with-flash.jpg

Each shelf is on rollers so they pull out and the entire thing was built by me and my dad... (I'm the least handy 24 year old ever- lol)

Energi2er said:
very nice... I like that. There shouldnt be a problem feeding on it either right?

Nope, feeding is no problem at all. There is nothing to swallow but the mice.

hello all I'm new to this forum. i just bought a corn snake about 2 weeks ago and he/she is doing great already ate twice and shed once. my ? is do they need height or floor space viv. i currently have her in a i think 20 or 30 gal long. (about 5ft long x 1.5 ft wide x 1.5ft high). she seems perfectly content with this set up. I'm not sure if i need to go higher though any input would be greatly appreciated thnx

maverick20649 said:
hello all I'm new to this forum. i just bought a corn snake about 2 weeks ago and he/she is doing great already ate twice and shed once. my ? is do they need height or floor space viv. i currently have her in a i think 20 or 30 gal long. (about 5ft long x 1.5 ft wide x 1.5ft high). she seems perfectly content with this set up. I'm not sure if i need to go higher though any input would be greatly appreciated thnx

Im new here my self, but my opinion is it depends on the snake. I started with a 5 gal tank and just bought a 40 gal tank today, but Nagini is a climber, I have seen her do a lot of climbing up the plants to hang out at the top and around the lip. But lately I have seen her at the bottom. I went with a taller tank just so if she wanted to, she could climb. What does yours do?

Here is mine, kind of a bad picture, I took it without a flash to avoid the glare and it kind of washed it out. That rock thing is one of those magnetic reptile dens, that part on the outside of the glass comes off so you can see her inside :) She loves it, she's in there whenever she isn't "sunning" on her driftwood.

tank.jpg

well mine mostly stays in her hide. all i have in there right now is a hide on the warm side and a water bowl and carpet for flooring. :boring: but i have a big 75 gal show tank with stand and wood lid thats mty right now was thinking on putting her in there. the only problem is my wife cant reach bottom of the 75 gal tank to clean or even get the snake. which she will have to do because i m on the road alot. so if the 20/30 gal tank u guys think will b OK then i would perfer to stick with it thnx

That big 75 gal tank could have awesome possibilites!! YOu could have a lot of fun with that! :grin01: I saw those today at the store when i was getting my 40 gal and man, if only I had the room and the $$$ and if i was taller casue i have the same problem, i could never get to the bottom unless i got a ladder and crawled in myself!!LOL.

S n S, i like that magnetic rock, i saw those at the store today too and never thought of having one on the outside, very cool! What is inside of it though, i mean besides you snake? And what are you using for substrate? I keep reading that they humidy should be like 40a5 or something and the aspen i am using looks so dry... i dont have a humidity therm though, maybe i should get one, man the $$$ thing again! lol, I spend more money on her than I do myself anymore :)

PssdffJay, I use EcoEarth as a substrate, and have a bit of dry moss thrown in there too. She seems to like it, she can hide under it. I put a bit of the substrate and the moss in the rock, to make it feel more "natural".

I find with the EcoEarth, when you clean the tank and out new stuff in, the humidity goes up quite a bit, since you soak the brick in water to get it to expand. I let it dry out some, then put it in, and try to do it around the time she is going to shed, saves on the misting :) The rest of the time, once it is dried out, the humidity seems to stay right on 50%. A hygrometer is a good thing to have, helps me out alot.

Haha, I know what you mean about spending so much money, I have a horse and the snake that are my "babies", and they NEED to have EVERYTHING :p Good thing I work at a petstore! :crazy02:

how important is humidity? my corn seems to be doing well without humidity. she eats and already shed once. i bought her about 2 weeks ago the temps are just above 80 on the warm side and about 75 ambient on the cool side.
:confused: thnx

Humidity isn't that important to corns from what I know, having too much is not a good thing though. They seem to do well in dry-er conditions, but when they are shedding, having some humidity helps the process along. I was always told that around 50% is good for an everyday level, and when shedding, misting the tank everyday will up it a little bit.

S_n_S said:
Haha, I know what you mean about spending so much money, I have a horse and the snake that are my "babies", and they NEED to have EVERYTHING :p Good thing I work at a petstore! :crazy02:

I am almost tempted to do the same, but then I KNOW i wouldn't have any money cause I would be in the damn store all day!! LOL. And I just noticed that you are a fellow northerner, I haven't seen too many of us.

I let the humidity go with the flo of my room, but i do spray when my snakes are in shed, once twice a day is fine during shed and i don't have any problem shedders.

As to the level of humidity my viv's are normally around 30% and upto between 40-50% when i mist which is plenty high enough for any corn/rat snake.

Back