• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Setting up a snake area..

Ursula

What's your setup and how much did it cost?

Currently I kind of am planning on buying a California Kingsnake from a local petstore.. he's a cute little baby. But then again I love some of these reddish neat cornsnakes here.. cornsnakes at Pet Shop are all .. pretty .. dull. Kinda all brown and look a bit bored there.

So back to the topic, what's your setup? :)

*got to have the setup before you have the snake!*

Hi Ursula,

For basic cage information you might want to read this thread. Cage setup costs can vary quite a bit. For example you can get a plastic starter cage like this one from Hagen. It costs around $15.00 USD if my memory is good. Or you can spend as much as $100.00 or more on an aquarium style cage. Once you've read the above thread you can start pricing things in your area.

Also, I wouldn't judge a snakes beauty by what it looks like as a hatchling. The difference in color and beauty from hatchling to one or two years old can be quite striking. Have a look at this picture from the Corn-Utopia.com website. It shows what a difference a year can make in an Okeetee Corn in just one year.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jason

Yeah I know that about caging. I plan on getting a bigger one to begin with so there isn't any.. further buying later on. Of course me buying all this is going to happen in around a month 1/2 so I have alot of time to research.

I found out that kingsnakes are more of an escape artist than other kinds.. so that worries me. :) I believe I will be going with a cornsnake afterall.

I didn't know that they change so much! Now I am worried about getting a hatchling, lol. I think they're cuter too, but who knows in 5 years I may breed a pair and have some of my own. :)

About my setup

Glass aquarium: $57.00
Herp power proportional thermostat:$109.00
Heating pad: $50.00
Hides and waterbowl:$17.00
Weatherstripping for the top: about $4.00
Substrate:$9.00
Sticks for him to climb on: $0

Knowing that your snake always has the perfect temps day and night, and not having to worry about him escaping: PRICELESS!

:laugh: :cheers: :rofl:

Local Reptile store in my area offers a small snake set up:
10 gal tank
Small UTH
Lid
Bowl
2 hides
2 cage carpets
All for $50
Check your local pet stores and reptile specialty stores for package deals!

You can also look for tanks from Yard sales. It can save you a good amount. But buying a 10 gallon tank from petco your only spending $10 anyways and your housing your snake for a year. Most people suggest a small viv to start out with if you get a hatchling for stress reasons. They need to find their water bowl.

Water bowls and hides you can make, screens for tanks run about 7-15$. Aspen bedding for over 2 qts runs about 5$. I bought my lights and UTH with my water bowl and hides and it ran me with shipping about $31. I did it on line and looked for the best prices for a couple of days. So just my viv set up ran under $50, everything new.

Cornsnake are pretty good escape artist also, the first 48 hours of getting a hatchling they are looking for a way out. So make sure everything is secure for your tank lid.

good luck

hey there, my tank without any furnishings is £40, built by my dad. its 4ft long and will hold the snake all his life :D.
furnishing: well for my substrate u have woodshavings, £1 a bag. the cave is probably the most expensive thing in there costing £12, BUT you dont need that, i just felt like buying it as i had £12 spare :D. that size will also fit him all his life. the water dish was about £1.29, its supposed to be a plant dish thing, u fill it with water and put the plants in it, but its now a water bowl, and the brilliant thing about it is theres LOADs of different sizes.the plants are about £1 each, i have about 4 of them, so, £4. i have slate in the tank which was supposed to be used as a sun bathing rock, but he doesnt use it like that, if he does, its in the night where it still has some heat in it, but its also used as a feeding rock, he has finally caught onto that idea and no knows where food will be.other things like the branch, its off an apple tree drenched in this stuff i bought from the pet shop to take any living thing off the branch :D.
heat etc:the bulb is a 60watt reflector bulb, comes in any colour. red probably being the best as snakes cant see red (it is red isnt it) that was £1.50 althought the reptile shops charge £4. so u are MUCH better off goin to a bulb shop or light shop, as u can see, its a lot cheaper. OR if u get a screw in connection, tesco's do them £1.50 pack of 3 !!
the thermometor (sp) was £3.99
i did have a humidity gage, but my gecko needed it more, but it was £3.99, u dont really need it. i dont.
theres also a few other bits and bobs ther.
so all in all the viv has cost me £64.78

any more help, just email or PM me, heres some pics:

2003-0414.jpg

2003-0416.jpg

2003-0418.jpg

16-4-045resized.jpg

who really needs a Herp power proportional thermostat in their aquarium or viv?

anyone who wants a healthy snake, newt. it only takes the outside temp to go up, then the viv to go up, and the snake dies, it happens to my leo.

I think thermostats are a good idea, but my snakes are fine without one, I just check the temps at least once a day, although if my thermometer is wrong, which I do worry about as it happend before my snakes won't be too happy, but they have lots of space so they can choose what temp they want in their cage.

I have 4 corns and they are all very healthy...the only regulation I utilize for the heat is a hood lamp.. depending on the height above the viv I can control the temp...which is 83 on the warm end and 70-73 on the cool end!!!

Thermostats are essential. Although I think $100 is a bit much. I got my thermo timer(including the ability for three different time-temp settings) for €40.

My new setup whcih I am going to build this weekend will cost:

wood €30
glass and rails €35
heating cable and thermo timer €60
lighting €20
Timer for lighting €4
tiles €3
sand for heatcable foundation €0
Polystyrene for insulation €0 (get it from a friend)
bedding for the snakes €3
Interior €? (It accumulates and changes from time to time)
hygrometer and thermometer €11

The thing is 4ft by 2ft by 2ft.

SORTED

Acradon

What I do have is a temp plate on the side of the viv. All I use for the heat is a lamp juring the day and a heat pad under the tank thats on 24/7. Iv owned snakes for 6 years and never had a problem.

hiya :wavey:

I am considering making my own viv ........ can you use MDF or plywood to make vivs...? if not which wood is best to use??

I also have some new sheets of nylon scouring pad (like the harder stuff on wash-up sponges) that i would like to use in parts of the viv.
Can anyone foresee problems with this??

thank you

Back