• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Setting up a snake area..

i believe what we used was white conti board, (sp) :s i think, lol, its basically woot with white laminate pieces eaither side :s, ill have to ask my dad but im sure thats wot it is. :) then what u need to do, which i havent done yet but still needs doin is to go around all the joints with an aquarium selant (sp)

(sp) - spelling mistake

hiya Stuart :wavey:

Is it the same stuff you use for shelves and kitchen cupboards???

thank you

For snakes like cornsnakes plywood is fine. if you don't have a tropic viv with a constant humidity of 90+ you'll have no hassle.

Acradon

hiya Acradon :wavey:

would plywood be easy to clean?...would it need to be painted or varnished etc?

I guess it would need to be a cm or more thick too???

thank you

Breakdown on my set-up:

20 Gallon - free (cousin gave to me).
Stand -free (also from my cousin)
Water bowl - 7.99
Heating pad - 10.99
Lamp - 6.99
Bulb - 2.99
Substrate (reptibark) - 4.99
Hide - 5.99
Big ol' Branchy thingy - 11.99
Hinged lid - $12.99
Clamps (2 packs - 2 per pack) - about 1.99 each pack

Total cost: Don't really care...worth every penny! lol!

Snakes new home in process:

50 gallon long - free (friend gave to me (originally housed a python)
Stand - free (came with the 50 gallon long)
White oak panelling and drawers being added to stand - free (brother is building onto for me)

Total cost: ZILCH

As you can see...I've lucked out with some freebies and the kindness of friends and relatives!
:)

Hey Marg,

0.6cm ply is fine. I don't paint mine cause I don't want any chemicals flying around in the tank. As for cleaning: I covered the ground with tiles which makes it very easy to clean when changing the substrate. My ball python viv is insulated on the sides and top with polystyrene which is covered with that wallpaper for vivs out of the petstore. the cornsnakes viv has no insulation but the wallpaper. that stuff is easy to wipe off as well.
Depending on what you use for heating you may or may not insulate your viv. I can send you some pics if you like.

Acradon

I don't paint mine cause I don't want any chemicals flying around in the tank.

Hate to burst your bubble man, but the glue they used to make that plywood will be outgassing for years. It's not terrible, but it is there.

Hiya Acradon :wavey:

thanx for the info pics would be nice :)

don't the tiles make the viv heavy??

Is that right brownie55, what do you have??

thank you

I use glass aquaria. I only have two snakes, so it's easy enough now. If I were building I'd use the laminate, and seal all the seams. That should keep gasses out of the viv.

Back