• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sevin Dust and Mites

joypassion

Ok-maybe I had a bad experience-but I tried Sevin last week for mites and last night. Last night was NOT good. I did the "shake and bake" and after about 8 min rinsed him off really good then gave him a warm bath. He just sat in my hand and didnt move. I had to touch him for him to react. He sat that way for about 2 hrs. I was hesitant to put him in the viv not knowing how he was.
His breathing is funny also. I made sure I got his head really good when rinsing but he is still opening his mouth for air. When he does this, I notice that his body gets really small or constricts- I can see his dry skin come together- and again I think he is about to shed so I am not sure if I should be concerned on that.
At this point I am not sure what to do. I have been up with him all night to make sure he is ok. He was in the same vicinity as he was last night and he moved when I touched him. I increased the humidity due to Kathy Love's book on Cornsnakes-the section that refers to respitory infections/problems. And after all this I still see mites!! Someone please help-I am not sure what to do or not to do at this point.. :awcrap:

Did you clean out the VIV before putting the treated snake back in? Mites don't just stay on the snake, they also migrate to the substrate and any furnature that you have in the viv. This could be why you still see the mites.

Also, you can get sprays for snakes and lizards that will get rid of mites, and they might be a little gentler on the snake. It sounds like the snake inhaled some of the sevin dust, and that can't be good...

I did clean the viv out also. I have just broken down and decided to take him to the vet tomorrow. I am hoping he makes it through today. I just held him and he seemed alittle more active then before but basically still the same.

Hope that everything works out for you.

How did you clean out the viv? did you boil/cook the furnature, and wash everything else with a bleach solution?

Yeah, I washed the viv with bleach and hot water and some of the furniture I had to throw away. I also changed from using reptibark to just newspaper and rags-much cheaper too.
Through this all he still has an appetite. He goes right for the pinky. Between the mites and what I think is the beginning of his shedding I am not sure what to make of his actions. Do they become alittle more unactive during the shedding period?

I have noticed that some of my snakes become more lethargic during blue phase. just keep an eye on her and see what happens after the shed.

You might want to go to your local Pet shop that has reptile merchandise and get a hold of some mite-b-gone spray...(don't think that is the actual name). That way, you can just spray down the snake instead of shaking him in an insecticide.

I tried the Natural Chemistry Kill-a-mite. It is supposed to kill mites on contact. For some reason, it either didn't work or it did work hoping it will come off with the shed. He is rubbing against everything in the viv and I have raised the humidity. I also bought some shed ease for aid. Any other suggestions to help his shed or this process?

there really isn't much that you can do to help a shed...just make sure that there is enough Moisture in the air, and that he has a dish he can soak in. If he/she is rubbing against everything, then that is a good sign...means that the shed should come soon.

Oh he definately rubs agaisnt everything including me. Is handling him during the shed period bad or can it complicate things?

handling during a shed doesn't cause problems. During Blue phase when the eyes are covered, the snake is more likely to strike at you, but other than that, it is ok. I handle and feed most of my snakes regaurdless of whether they are in blue phase or ready to shed.

So far he has been pretty good about striking at me. I put my hand in and let him smell me then pick him up. Is there any way to get an idea of his age? I bought him in early Feb. so I am not sure. All the pet store could tell me is that he is a baby albino corn.

how long is he? There really isn't an accurate way to tell age when you buy from a pet store. we can give estimates based on length, and girth. If he is under 18 inches long, he is probably a late 2004 hatchling.

He is probably just about 18 inches or so. Definately not smaller than that. His head area isn't that girthy but as you go down his body he is probably as fat as an average size highligter (sorry for the lingo but I am at work and I am looking around :wavey: )

don't worry. I am at work too. that sounds about right for an 04 hatchling. might be mid year 04. When you get the chance, upload some pics to show him off.

I am hoping he does good today and at least make it to the vet tomorrow. Normally, he is excited to get back in his viv..but now he actually is just content to stay in my hand. I just worry since he is young.

I have had him since Feb. 10. When I first got him he would like to be held some and then was ready to go back to the viv. But lately he has been content with me..walking around the house or just watching a movie. I have also found he poops on me quite a bit!
Yes, this is my first snake-that explains my many questions. :)
I really hope that sevin didn't do any damage the vet and I can't correct or make him feel better..

Well, Sevin is actually recomended by some pretty good people, so I don't think that you have done too much damage.

Your snake being content to let you hold him is a good sign...means that he knows you and feels that you are a safe thing to hide on.

Welcome to the cornsnake hobby. Be sure to ask any questions that you have, but search for the answers first just incase they have already been asked.

At work, I have seen quite a few snakes die when their owners treated them with sevin dust. There are definitely better methods of threating them!

CornCrazy said:
At work, I have seen quite a few snakes die when their owners treated them with sevin dust. There are definitely better methods of threating them!

I agree with you, but I know a lot of people that suggest this as a method for treating Mites. Actually, Kathy is one of them.

Back