• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shiva, the 2010 Jungle Carpet Python

SteelJawEmily

I was lucky enough to snag this beautiful girl from a friend of mine that I work with. She is a 2010, Jungle Carpet and that's all I know about her. She is very nippy still but getting better. When she gets big enough I will breed her to my IJ Malakai, and see what comes out. Malakai has possible hets for Granite IJ's so that could be very exciting!
So meet Shiva:
017-5.jpg

020-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

024-4.jpg

027-4.jpg

030-2.jpg

031-2.jpg

033-3.jpg

040-4.jpg

041-4.jpg

So, update time! Shiva is now chowing down on a small rat every 10 days now. She has calmed down a bit, but still mildly cage aggressive. She doesn't like to be fussed with....especially when she's hungry! She expressed her certain opinion of this one day when I tried to get her out for feeding time. She had her tail wrapped around a branch and didn't want to let go. So as I was holding her in my left hand, I was using my right hand to unwrap her, when she literally looked at me, looked at my hand, then back at me.....then in slow motion, CHOMP. Decided my fingers would do instead of her rat. lol I can't blame her too much.....I wouldn't want someone disturbing me from my comfy spot, then poking, prodding and pulling at me lol Coiled around my hand and turned my hand purple. Didn't let go until I ran her head under really really cold water for a few seconds lol. Works EVERY time.
Bite club entry anyone?
559987_10150712660604846_717809845_9138764_1714557537_n.jpg

I have such a high pain tolerance, that no it didn't hurt too bad. I think her squeezing the life out of my hand hurt more lol Made it fall asleep you see.

And now that shes on rats, she could easily get up to 6 feet long. It's hard to tell though because Pythons can range soo much. My other boy Malakai is 3 years old and barely at 5 feet long. But regardless they will always stay skinny, not like Boas.

Thanks!

Ok, so where's her updated pics??? ;)
You know I have a couple male Jungles, two of which are breeding size.
I'd recommend pairing her with another Jungle, rather than an IJ. JMO :)

Very beautiful girl. If I get another python it will either be a JC or an albino burm but that is in the future as my wife will kill me if I get another snake right now. :D

Ok, so where's her updated pics??? ;)
You know I have a couple male Jungles, two of which are breeding size.
I'd recommend pairing her with another Jungle, rather than an IJ. JMO :)

Both? lol And I'll have to take some more tomorrow. Feeding/exercising time! I think she's still too small to breed right now.....although on Morelia I read that they can be bred as young as 18 months old? She's an early 2010.

Very beautiful girl. If I get another python it will either be a JC or an albino burm but that is in the future as my wife will kill me if I get another snake right now. :D

Oh just sneak it in. lol Although it's probably a good thing you have a significant other that can say no to more reptiles. My boyfriend like snakes as much as I do, so if we ever move in together that would be a house full! lol Oh boy.....

Both? lol And I'll have to take some more tomorrow. Feeding/exercising time! I think she's still too small to breed right now.....although on Morelia I read that they can be bred as young as 18 months old? She's an early 2010.

Oh just sneak it in. lol Although it's probably a good thing you have a significant other that can say no to more reptiles. My boyfriend like snakes as much as I do, so if we ever move in together that would be a house full! lol Oh boy.....

LOL yep! I have Tyr, of course, whom you have met, & Tazer, from my friend Julie. She mentioned she might be letting him go, & I said "mine!" :)

So wait.....how much should she weigh before she is breedable? I haven't looked into carpet breeding yet cus I thought she was too small. Lol

Mini update!
Shiva is eating small rats wonderfully now! she is actually due to shed any day now, but I figured I would show you her "ugly" skin.

Nomnomnom
Shiva1.jpg

SO beautiful! And ouchie that bite has to sting. Luckily all the carpet pythons I've met where very tolerant. Didn't stop one from striking at me the second I opened the feeding bin!

So wait.....how much should she weigh before she is breedable? I haven't looked into carpet breeding yet cus I thought she was too small. Lol

I don't know. I haven't considered breeding Carpets yet. I know Tyr is big enough as a male, & Tazer as well. One of Julie's female Jungles was 1900gr when she first bred her.

1900!! Holy......well I don't think Shiva is that big....lol I'll have to get me a scale it looks like......lol

Morelia forums here I come! Maybe if I'm lucky with the way shes been eating lately, she'll be big enough for fall breeding?

Hmmmmm......:grin01:

If you have questions about breeding these guys there is a man named Will Bird who is the head of our Herp Society in Louisville, KY. He breeds and sells these critters and could probably help you out with any questions. He is a good guy and loves his hobby so I doubt he'll turn you away unanswered.

I hope I don't get in any trouble for this (it isn't a look at my site kinda thing ;)) but here is his website link: http://www.ectotherms.net/

Best of luck! :D

Back