• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

SMR bloodred and Albino Jungle Corn

OCsnakeman

Corn-a-holic
Here's a little update on my two little ( not so little anymore ) boys. Kaa ( Jungle ) is now over 3 feet, and vlad is pushing 3 ft. 6 in. ( bloodred )

I am semi-concerned in vlads banded pattern not fading more than it is...he is a nice deep red, but is holding onto those bands. Is that normal? Also, I notice more and more white sneaking into him, he just had a shed, and it was a complete one, no pieces. However, he has several white spots on him. Is this normal as well? Thanks for any feedback or information you have!

OC

Attachments

• DSC01315.JPG
    DSC01315.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC01316.JPG
    DSC01316.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC01319.JPG
    DSC01319.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC01329.JPG
    DSC01329.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 170
OCsnakeman said:
I am semi-concerned in vlads banded pattern not fading more than it is...he is a nice deep red, but is holding onto those bands. Is that normal? Also, I notice more and more white sneaking into him, he just had a shed, and it was a complete one, no pieces. However, he has several white spots on him. Is this normal as well? Thanks for any feedback or information you have!

OC

As far as bloods go, I'd say he is certianly not one of the best examples.

However... he certianly is VERY cool looking! He looks like what I would imagine a " Miami'ish' " Blood would look like :cool:

Lore said:
However... he certianly is VERY cool looking! He is look like what I would imagine a " Miami'ish' " Blood would look like :cool:

Exactly what I was thinking - you can get a decent blood fairly easy but this guy is something special! I like it a lot!

Hey, that jungle's pretty cool. I'd say he's at least 75% corn. Very corn-y shape, but with weird pattern and color. :cool:

Yeah, some of those banded diffuseds don't seem to hit full diffusion. And when the ancestral stock is high-contrast with little ground color, it probably doesn't improve the odds. He's a great looking snake anyway. Many people here would probably say that he isn't a "bloodred". These people would be using the meaning of the term that involves a selectively-bred, nearly uni-colored red snake with high diffusion...

Roy Munson said:
Hey, that jungle's pretty cool. I'd say he's at least 75% corn. Very corn-y shape, but with weird pattern and color. :cool:

Yeah, some of those banded diffuseds don't seem to hit full diffusion. And when the ancestral stock is high-contrast with little ground color, it probably doesn't improve the odds. He's a great looking snake anyway. Many people here would probably say that he isn't a "bloodred". These people would be using the meaning of the term that involves a selectively-bred, nearly uni-colored red snake with high diffusion...

Indeed, he's a lovely "Diffused" :cheers:

Love the jungle. The diffused looks better as a banded than as a bloodred, but it's an exceptional looking creature.

I said it way back when, and I know Don said no----but that bloodred just looks an awful lot like an upper keys blood.

That being said---the banding never goes away. That's why I've tried to stay away from buying/keeping bloodreds with banding to them---because the red that comes doesn't hide that. It never will. I've got an adult female that is much more banded than I would like, but whatcha gonna do?

Thanks for the feedback!

Roy Munson said:

Thanks Roy. The jungle is a 75/25 split, and was actually store bought at a local reptile place with an awesome reputation. He is one of the first of his bloodline, so his pattern is quite interesting.

As for your comments on the bloodred, I was sold this specimen by Rich at SMR as a pure bloodred. The comments made that he is not kind of disturb me. I am sure that his genetics are accurate, but am interested in further elaboration. I ponied up the dough to pay for a bloodred, and am dissappointed to say the least if he is not. Thanks for any clarification you have! :)

OC

Addendum to previous post...

Im a moron. Sorry ... its Don not Rich.

ONce again, I am a moron.

THank you and have a nice day.

OC

OCsnakeman said:
Thanks Roy. The jungle is a 75/25 split, and was actually store bought at a local reptile place with an awesome reputation. He is one of the first of his bloodline, so his pattern is quite interesting.

As for your comments on the bloodred, I was sold this specimen by Rich at SMR as a pure bloodred. The comments made that he is not kind of disturb me. I am sure that his genetics are accurate, but am interested in further elaboration. I ponied up the dough to pay for a bloodred, and am dissappointed to say the least if he is not. Thanks for any clarification you have! :)

OC

Theres no doubt about his genetics - especially coming from SMR - HOWEVER some just look bettern than others... Its only because of his banded pattern that the difussion is not what is could be. :shrugs: I wouldn't feel ripped off at all...

Plus, I bet Don (and I have done business with him in the past) would rememdy any dissatisfaction that you have with anything that he has sold you. My impression was that he was an "old fashioned", and by that I mean the right kind, of buisnessman. On the other hand, he may want to charge you a little more....that's a great looking snake, whatever you want to call it.

Just my opinions.

Tula_Montage said:
Exactly what I was thinking - you can get a decent blood fairly easy but this guy is something special! I like it a lot!

I'll agree with ya... I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike um.

Per Don's website:

Additionally, we offer the following. After seven months, the colors and markings of your reptile will have changed due to maturing. At any time after seven months, if you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return it for a replacement.

So, if you don't like the snake, send it back and get another bloodred.

Feedback...

I was merely looking for feedback, I have invested 2 years and a lot of money into this snake, and would hate to just "send" him back. I don't even know how that kind of thing would work. I was just wondering if he was indeed a bloodred or not. I have had a lot of different opinions, and dont doubt Don's integrity at all. I am merely curious and concerned that my investment in him is pointless because he doesnt carry good genes for the bloodred traits. Feel free to comment.

OC

OCsnakeman said:
I was merely looking for feedback, I have invested 2 years and a lot of money into this snake, and would hate to just "send" him back. I don't even know how that kind of thing would work. I was just wondering if he was indeed a bloodred or not. I have had a lot of different opinions, and dont doubt Don's integrity at all. I am merely curious and concerned that my investment in him is pointless because he doesnt carry good genes for the bloodred traits. Feel free to comment.

OC

If you bought an excellent example female blood - you could produce crackin babies from him.

But without a decent female im afraid breeding him to get hets and breeding siblings back will only weaken the appearance of what you expect.

I think that if your satisfaction rests on the quality (based on your ideal) of offspring that your snake produces; you should consider speaking to Don about your concerns. He may have some insight into your concerns, or he may have a solution to your problem, if you even call it a problem. I suppose my point is really that you should handle any concerns with the quality(in this case color) of a product with the original seller, prior to even mentioning them in a electronic public forum. Dang, touched a nerve or something..sorry.

Feedback

razorback said:
I think that if your satisfaction rests on the quality (based on your ideal) of offspring that your snake produces; you should consider speaking to Don about your concerns. He may have some insight into your concerns, or he may have a solution to your problem, if you even call it a problem. I suppose my point is really that you should handle any concerns with the quality(in this case color) of a product with the original seller, prior to even mentioning them in a electronic public forum. Dang, touched a nerve or something..sorry.

Razorback,

"I have had a lot of different opinions, and dont doubt Don's integrity at all. I am merely curious and concerned that my investment in him is pointless because he doesnt carry good genes for the bloodred traits"

As i previously said, I am merely looking for ideas, feedback, opinions, and anything else anyone has to offer. I stated several times I have nor will i have any bad feelings about my purchase from Don. Vlad has been a good snake, strong and healthy. My point was merely to discover the strange "abnormalities" to his pattern and development. The problem with seeking information, is that when the questions are read, a person develops their own interpretation for the reasoning of the question, rather than just answering it.

OC

OCsnakeman said:
Razorback,

"I have had a lot of different opinions, and dont doubt Don's integrity at all. I am merely curious and concerned that my investment in him is pointless because he doesnt carry good genes for the bloodred traits"

As i previously said, I am merely looking for ideas, feedback, opinions, and anything else anyone has to offer. I stated several times I have nor will i have any bad feelings about my purchase from Don. Vlad has been a good snake, strong and healthy. My point was merely to discover the strange "abnormalities" to his pattern and development. The problem with seeking information, is that when the questions are read, a person develops their own interpretation for the reasoning of the question, rather than just answering it.

OC

What exactly is the question? You seem to be getting frusrated at people trying to explain to you how "things work" ie bloods/progression/purchases etc.

What exactly is it your unhappy about, our responses or the fact that someon simply pointed out hes not a great example of a bloodred?

Tula_Montage said:
What exactly is the question? You seem to be getting frusrated at people trying to explain to you how "things work" ie bloods/progression/purchases etc.

What exactly is it your unhappy about, our responses or the fact that someon simply pointed out hes not a great example of a bloodred?

I am not unhappy. I was looking for insight and opinions about vlad. I am dissappointed, yes. This, however, has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I am trying to figure out if I can still utilize Vlad in my breeding plans, or if he will become a pet only. I hope this provides some clarification for you :)

Back