• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

SMR bloodred and Albino Jungle Corn

OCsnakeman said:
I am not unhappy. I was looking for insight and opinions about vlad. I am dissappointed, yes. This, however, has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I am trying to figure out if I can still utilize Vlad in my breeding plans, or if he will become a pet only. I hope this provides some clarification for you :)

If hes happy and healthy why not consider him for breeding? Why not look into what I suggested earlier and purchase a nice blood female. Hatchling bloods are not exactly expensive in the US. Its the long road im afraid for him... he would need to be bred into better lines to produce decent bloods.

People use the term "bloodred" to mean different things. Some use it to mean any snake that is homozygous for the diffusion gene. Your beautiful snake qualifies 100% for that definition. He's even got some great side-pattern diffusion going on, so I'll bet that he's quite capable of siring superb offspring. But some people use the term to mean a deep red, homozygous diffused snake that is nearly patternless. Your snake doesn't meet those criteria. In no way has Don given you an inferior animal. Heck, I have a pewter (charcoal bloodred) that's hardly diffused at all. But she has a clear belly, and some diffusion, so she's what I paid for. Her situation is analogous to your blood's situation: she's an awesome looking snake, but most people wouldn't consider her the best example of her type.

If I ordered a blood and it turned out like yours, I would not be disappointed. I think it's a cool look. :)

I'm with Tula

I'm with Tula on this one.
Just what do you want to hear?
You keep saying you have had so many different opinions and that you trust Don but you want even more opinions???? I don't get it.

The simple fact of the matter is....If Don sold the snake to you as a bloodred then it is genetically a bloodred.
No question about it.
Now, if you feel it doesn't match what you would expect a bloodred of that age to look, then you have several choices.
Contact Don and trade him for one that would match you expectations.
Keep it as a pet and don't worry about it.
Breed it and see what happens.
Not all "perfect" bloodreds produce all "perfect" bloodreds.
Not all "imperfect" bloodreds produce all "imperfect" bloodreds.
Imperfect bloods can produce some beautiful examples and some perfect bloodreds can produce some less then perfect specimens.

The bottom line....It is a bloodred and is only as nice as YOU believe it to be.

OCsnakeman said:
I was merely looking for feedback, I have invested 2 years and a lot of money into this snake, and would hate to just "send" him back. I don't even know how that kind of thing would work. I was just wondering if he was indeed a bloodred or not. I have had a lot of different opinions, and dont doubt Don's integrity at all. I am merely curious and concerned that my investment in him is pointless because he doesnt carry good genes for the bloodred traits. Feel free to comment.

OC

Well just what are your breeding plans? From your signature, it appears that you have three snakes. I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about your 'investment' if you're only breeding 3 snakes.

If he's not the 'bloodred' look that you want, get another male and use him for a different project. Start a snow bloodred project or something where the color of the bloodred isn't going to matter in the target phenotype.

Regardless, the snake you have isn't what most people would call a nice bloodred. Everyone has differing opinions on the matter, and many think it's a really nice snake. That to me sounds like there is a market for that type of patterning/coloration---so again, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about the investment. But again, if you want the traditional dark red bloodred, either get an amazing female or get another male.

Back