• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Attitude

vovalyosha

Хоккей и
Today, I just fed my oldest, Nikita, and am flabbergasted. I put his rat pup in, no rattle, no aggresive behaviour or anything. I went to put the lid on the tupperware and his tail rattled worse than a rattlesnake's. When I reached for the far clasp, he started thrashing around, rattling and striking-motion with this rat in his mouth. Now, I am sitting here as still as can be, only typing this from the phone and he stops, starts rattling, stops, starts.

I have never seen anything but affection from this corn. He never took a rat aggresively, and I am worried.

Is that a pic of Your snake? If so I have the same kind and here is what started happening yesterday. I do not know what has happened to My corn,Yesterday all of a sudden she went into like a freak mode, She was rolling a round and biting every where, Almost like She was fighting for Her life against a predator. She finally stopped and laid there for about a hour w/ Her mouth open. Now her mouth is closed but like every hour or 2 she just starts freaking out again biting in the air , tank and lid.. It is almost like She lost Her sight. Has anyone heard of this or know what is wrong? I hate to see Her so scared and freaking out.. She is 5 y/o. Any help would be great.. Thank You..

If that is a heat rock, GET IT OUT NOW. Those can give your snake burns and are not recommended for any animal.

You could also ditch the heat lamp, seeing as snakes need belly heat. Under tank heaters are great for one third of the tank set at ~eighty five degrees F. But you NEED TO GET THAT ROCK OUT OF THERE.

Well I have owned snakes for 11 years and never had problems w/ mild rocks. My oldest snake is 11 years old . That is not Her problem. I have had Her w/ the same rock for 5 years now. She just started this 3 days ago..

If you want to find out what's wrong, you have to eliminate all of the possibilities.

I've been trying to for 2 days. less heat , tried feeding her , nope , more heat , nope, covering her to let her relax , nope, it is for sure some kind of seizure but I do not know what started them? She has been fine for 5 years..

I really don't think there's anything 'wrong' with your snake... I really think it is your set up, as others have suggested. A vet trip would probably be the last resort, once all other things have been checked and taken care of.

Either way, 2 heat sources are definitely not need with corns. Have you always used heat lamps on top of heat rocks? That could be it as well.
I too am against heat rocks, but I am more worried about a second heat source. It can have an ovening effect, especially (I would think) with it being winter and having your heat turned on in your house.

On a side note (ish), just because you've been doing something a certain way for years doesn't make it work forever. That is why things change and we update to accommodate new information that is acquired.
I think it would be beneficial for you to update your methods, for the health and safety of your snakes. At least look into what the generally accepted requirements are now, as the hobby has changed quite a bit over the last decade as more and more people are researching to find what works best for their pets.

Best of luck.

I really don't think there's anything 'wrong' with your snake... I really think it is your set up, as others have suggested. A vet trip would probably be the last resort, once all other things have been checked and taken care of.

Either way, 2 heat sources are definitely not need with corns. Have you always used heat lamps on top of heat rocks? That could be it as well.
I too am against heat rocks, but I am more worried about a second heat source. It can have an ovening effect, especially (I would think) with it being winter and having your heat turned on in your house.

On a side note (ish), just because you've been doing something a certain way for years doesn't make it work forever. That is why things change and we update to accommodate new information that is acquired.
I think it would be beneficial for you to update your methods, for the health and safety of your snakes. At least look into what the generally accepted requirements are now, as the hobby has changed quite a bit over the last decade as more and more people are researching to find what works best for their pets.

Best of luck.
I just started using the light as well because someone said maybe she needed more heat? Well the light hasn't helped at all.. :( I have always used low heat rocks for My snakes. I was given a snake w/ a light and never used it until 2 days a go.. but I have turned it off seeing it hasn't stopped her seizures..

I will just take her in tomorrow, Just thought someone who know why she started doing this? Guess not, Thank You everyone for the help..

Back