• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake bite

iloveblastbeatz

Last night my snake was just chillin on my hand until BAM! He bit my finger and before I knew it his whole body was wrapped around my entire hand and squeezing the life out of it. I honestly didn't know what to do and how to get him off until somehow he let go but still was constricting my hand. Eventually I got him off and put him away for a little while so I could go wash my hands. (It was entirely my fault that he bit me BTW, I was petting my dog before and forgot to wash my hands so my dogs scent was on me)So my question is: When a snake bites you in the way that he thinks your food and coils himself around you, whats the proper way to get him off??? I didn't want to hurt him but I didn't want him to start eating my finger! Any advice would be a great help.

Oh yeah, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Run his head (or his whole self if he's in a knot) under a gently-running cold tap. The shock usually makes them let go, at which point you can untangle the rest of them from whatever bit they have hold of.

Open a jar of rubbing alcohol and wave it in front of their face. It usually makes them let go. At least, in my experience, it has.

People with huge snakes such as pythons often keep some form of alcohol around incase they get bitten. The fumes are unbearable to a snake, which is one reason why you should never drink and handle your snake. ;)

Sometimes you just gotta suck it up..
DSC00125.jpg

But some times when they bite, i just let them let go naturally. This gal did on her own after about 5 minutes.

I have used the alcohol method and never again. I prefer using the cool to hot water method.
Since this sounds like a Wee thing, just take to your tap and turn on the water. As the temp rises the snake will let go. This will shock anything off your hand. If you did the cold water method and it was a king snake, it would still be on your hand.

I can TOTALLY refute rubbing alcohol!!! I keep hearing this, and yet every time a certain king of mine bites me in a feed response, I wish I could grab a video camera. In my experience, isopropal alcohol doesn't work any better than water. Snakebytestv.com did a taped debunking of this, too. Oddly, they used a snake exactly like my biggest culprit. They tried alcohol on a cotton ball and even poured over the mouth. That cal king just wrapped and bit tighter. If it's a small snake, I'll just wear it like a bracelet and carry on with my business until it gives up. A boa that size, I'd try to encourage to let go, though!

I'm curious if we bred my bitey male to your bitey female if that trait would prove out. I suspect so, and *almost* never breed demon snakes (unless it's just in the nature of the species).

I'm curious if we bred my bitey male to your bitey female if that trait would prove out. I suspect so, and *almost* never breed demon snakes (unless it's just in the nature of the species).

I don't know if I'd ever want to breed my bitey girl. She'd probably make a snack out of the male.

I feel the same way about my male. They'd probably just eat each other and then disappear! This is the only 4 foot colubrid I use a glove on, and I've left the glove in the cage with him many, many times. He just will not let go and any "trick" to coax him off seems to make him just try harder. He still gets my arm from time to time and I actually hate being bitten by this one. It's never a quick thing like most bites. Odd thing is, he's even done this when full.

How does your snakes react after about 20 minutes out of the cage?

I have a few monsters at my house and after about 20 minutes out of cage they mellow out big time. It seems the hunger is gone and no more feeding response.

I feel the same way about my male. They'd probably just eat each other and then disappear! This is the only 4 foot colubrid I use a glove on, and I've left the glove in the cage with him many, many times. He just will not let go and any "trick" to coax him off seems to make him just try harder. He still gets my arm from time to time and I actually hate being bitten by this one. It's never a quick thing like most bites. Odd thing is, he's even done this when full.

I've heard (haven't tried) that using a lot of hand sanitizer before handling is supposed to help. Wanna do an experiment? You can be Chewy. :grin01:

I used Isagel many times and still got bit. I wiped my hands down with Isopropal and still got bit. This one is the spawn of Satan. As for Tpup's suggestion, I've never handled this one for 20 minutes unless it was latched on to me. It's hooked, removed, then looks for what to bite. I hate this animal at times, but at least it's predictable.

When I had my BPs, alcohol was the only thing that worked. I used whiskey. The goal is to get it in their mouths in tiny amounts until they let go, that is if fumes alone aren't enough. It worked like a charm for me.

Back