• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake bite

Something funny is my husband actually WANTS to get bit. Don't get me wrong. He won't entice them to bite him but he said he actually wants to get bit so he knows what to expect. I told him to have fun with that and I'm sure at some point he'll have his wish made true. I feel bad for him, because, really our snakes are very very docile and have never struck out anything except their food. Even when one of the cats come up to one of the tanks, the just lay there up against the glass like they actually ENJOY the cat sitting there.

BITE IT!

I usually just bite them back.......

Seriously, I read on Fauna about a guy got hit and coiled by an 11' retic and of course he was alone. He tried water everything and the coil was starting to go around his body and he was really starting to fear for his life. He tried to load his rifle to shoot it, but couldn't with one hand, the snake was latched onto the other. Finally he just leaned down over it and bit it as hard as he could and it let go...
Of course the attack was his fault, brand new snake on the floor in the snake room and dog comes in...man gets dog out...excited snake bites man!

I've been bit a few times, but they usually don't latch on long enough for it to be a problem.

I have never had any of my colubrids hang on for more than a few seconds but with the big boids I always use alcohol. I keep a spray bottle of everclear within reach if I am dealing with a large, unfamiliar rescue. I have had to be stitched up twice by an 8' burm and 9' retic and both times they hung on even after being held under cold water, I also bit them back as well and only everclear got them off, it was kept in the freezer the first time before I knew it would help with removing a stubborn snake. I fugure we can never have to much info or methods of safely removing them as each animal is different and alcohol might not work on the next one so I want to have some other options ready.

Last night my snake was just chillin on my hand until BAM! He bit my finger and before I knew it his whole body was wrapped around my entire hand and squeezing the life out of it. I honestly didn't know what to do and how to get him off until somehow he let go but still was constricting my hand. Eventually I got him off and put him away for a little while so I could go wash my hands. (It was entirely my fault that he bit me BTW, I was petting my dog before and forgot to wash my hands so my dogs scent was on me)So my question is: When a snake bites you in the way that he thinks your food and coils himself around you, whats the proper way to get him off??? I didn't want to hurt him but I didn't want him to start eating my finger! Any advice would be a great help.

Oh yeah, HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

retic and burmese python owners suggest listerine, just a spritz will get them to let go.

retic and burmese python owners suggest listerine, just a spritz will get them to let go.

I am a burm owner and I never ever let it get that far. I have precautions when working with my snake. She is hooked trained, she knows when she is coming out of cage or being fed.
But with all large snakes there should be a rule, always have a second adult in your room with you at all times when working with an animal like this.

Place safety precautions when working with large animals and you never have to worry about a bite or attack.

But seriously, why do you need to use alcohol, listerine, or Hot water?? Its a Cornsnake for Chrissakes.

Heck, anything around 5 feet, I am not worried about unless its a hot. This includes, milks, kings, ball pythons, and other small species of snakes. I have known old time herpers get bitten by a six foot snake and just take it.

If you are going to keep herps you just gotta learn how to just roll with it on the smaller animals and make precautions for the large ones. You should be fine.

I am a burm owner and I never ever let it get that far. I have precautions when working with my snake. She is hooked trained, she knows when she is coming out of cage or being fed.
But with all large snakes there should be a rule, always have a second adult in your room with you at all times when working with an animal like this.

Place safety precautions when working with large animals and you never have to worry about a bite or attack.

But seriously, why do you need to use alcohol, listerine, or Hot water?? Its a Cornsnake for Chrissakes.

Heck, anything around 5 feet, I am not worried about unless its a hot. This includes, milks, kings, ball pythons, and other small species of snakes. I have known old time herpers get bitten by a six foot snake and just take it.

If you are going to keep herps you just gotta learn how to just roll with it on the smaller animals and make precautions for the large ones. You should be fine.

I understand your used to A LOT bigger snakes and more aggressive snakes than corn snakes, but after my snakes strangling my hand for a couple of minutes it was getting pretty old and I wanted him off lol. Ive had my snake for a while and never had him do that so it was nice to know how to get him off. I got some good advice of how to get him off if he ever did it again but I highly doubt it will happen soon being how docile he is.

Back