• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake not eating; lump in abdomen; no money for medical care

Maybe the vet agrees on monthly payments on the bill, should it be an option to operate on your snake. But to me it sounds like a tumor to be honest. Little chance of successful treatment indeed.

If I administer medication with a syringe, I usually gently pry open the mouth with a spoon or wooden spatula (provided by the vet) from the front, let it sit in the corners of the mouth, put in the syringe behind/above the spoon/spatula, with the air tube opening (glottis) residing in front/underneath so it's safe from the fluid. I push a bit of the fluid into the throat, lubricating it, then gently pus in the syringe further into the throath. If it's not going smoothly I twist the syringe clock and counter clockwise for about a quarter of the circumference while pushing. The throath usually widens then. I'll try to draw it.

I'm so sorry this is happening to your poor snake.

I agree with you that it may just be easier and kinder on the snake to euthanize at this point. :-(

Hugs and condolences.

Ps... It is pretty easy to give oral antibiotics. Just make sure you get the tube far enough down the throat.

You'd be surprised at the amount of feces just hanging out in the colon too. Try to gently but firmly massage out anything that might be in there.
Be very careful doing this if a tumour is potentially involved. A vet (not my usual one I hasten to add) tried this with mine and something to do with the tumour ruptured. Extra bleeding to add to the problem is not what your snake needs.

Sadly, if it is a tumour and it's already that advanced, then there's probably nothing surgically that can be done. My vet tried for mine, but by the time it was detectable as a lump, it had already spread laterally along the body and was a lot bigger than they thought when they started operating. I decided to let the snake go without coming out of anaesthesia, as they advised that it was inoperable.

I'm afraid you may be looking at euthanasia, especially if the snake is now starting to show physical effects. Two months without food shouldn't have that kind of impact on a healthy Corn, but it still could takes weeks or even months longer before the poor thing passes without assistance.

Basically, you're telling us that the vet doesn't have any concrete plans to do anything yet, and even if he did, you couldn't afford them. If things looked more hopeful, I'd be urging you to find alternative ways to pay the vet. However, given the circumstances you describe, my gut feeling is that euthanasia is the way to go here.

I was not clear enough. I meant to gently apply pressure after the lump. Don't try to push the lump itself out, just any juices that may be in the intestine between the lump and the vent. You don't need much for a fecal.

Good luck but Bitsy may be right.

You could use a blender or food processor to liquify a mouse and use a syringe to force feed the same way you give the antibiotics. This would help get the fecal sample I would think.

I got the meds today and tried to give it to him. I couldn't get him to open his jaws enough for me to get it in. I know I could have used something to pry them open, but I couldn't do it. It brought me to tears. The vet and everybody else knows that the chances of it doing anything are kind of nil, and putting him through all of this every single day for the next two weeks seems to be pointless to me. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see if we can just go ahead and euthanize him rather than put him through all of this. He isn't going to come back from this.

I'm so sorry. Do what you feel is best. And then when the time is right, a new snake will mend your heart.

I'm so sorry for what you and your snake are going through. If you do decide to try again with the medication, you could do it with a syringe. I'm sure the vet can give you one, but you can also get them at pharamacies. If you lubricate it with KY jelly or something similar (don't use petroleum products) it's relatively easy to get the it into the corner of the snake's mouth and push the plunger.

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes euthanasia is the best choice, but it's never an easy one.

Forcing a Corn's mouth open really isn't that traumatic for them, but I understand your problem with doing it, given that he's already going through so much and it's not expected to help.

This is a terrible decision for any pet owner to be faced with, but sometimes you need to be strong for the animal's sake. Only you truly know your Corn and whatever you do, it will be in his best interests. Sending you my support, whatever you decide.

My heart truly goes out to you, I am having issues in my own collection at the moment but after it is hopefully taken care of and my collection is shown healthy I would be more than happy to help you with a new snake free of charge. Just keep in touch with me if you are interested later on.
Time does heal heart break slowly, but there are a lot of good people here to help so you are not alone.
Take care
bob

I'm sorry your poor snake is having a rough time. It sure sounds as if it's a tumor. It also sounds as if he's suffering now and you've made the right decision in choosing euthanasia. You've had several offers of a new snake when you're ready, and I will add my name to the list. I have an adult male normal that really needs a new home. His name is Gregg and is one of the many babies I've bred and raised here. If you want him, he's yours for part of the shipping costs.

Gregg%20Oct%20%2710%20-%20close%20up%20-%203.jpg

Back