• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Room (closet)

CornCob

Okay so this project will take about a month maybe, but the point is my parents are letting me do it! :D Okay, so there is a little closet (we have games in it) near my bedroom door, its about 3' 3" (square). It has some shelves in it and I am going to breed corn snakes sooner or later so I am going to build a baby rack! But, my mom is iffy about the heating part...I told her that flexwatt can go on wood but she said that its attached to her house so if it caught fire...you can imagine the rest haha. So I thought I could take the shelves out and build a rack to put in there! But the part I need help with is still the heating. Which is better, flexwatt or heat cable? I have never used them so I need help from people who have.

The 2 things that I would be buying (they are at my local pet store) is this..

-http://www.petco.com/product/106227/Zoo-Med-Digital-Thermometer.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch
-http://www.petco.com/product/109980/Zoo-Med-Repti-Heat-Cable.aspx

My Animal Plastics Economy Plastic rack is 24" wide. You could always just buy a pre-made rack with professional wiring. Ask for it for Christmas!!

What size tub, how many quarts? Is 6 okay or 12?

For babies 6 is great! A lot of people even use sandwhich boxes. I like my babies to have a little wiggle room, so I use the 6 qts. A 12 might stress out hatchlings, but I personally have never had an issue- but why risk it? besides, you can fit 2 of the 6 qts where you could only fit one 12.. = more room for babies!

Which is better, flexwatt or heat cable? I have never used them so I need help from people who have.

My rack came with the flexwatt, I have never used heat cable to compare it to, but I have heard that the flexwatt is safer than the heat cable. I saw somewhere on another thread someone mentioned that there was a company that will wire your flexwatt for you in the size you need, so that might help you out as well.

okay thanks! what company?

now im gonna have to search for the answer, i knew i should have written it down

ah ha, here it is, see below ps thanks azhketh for the info
http://www.reptilebasics.com/index.php?p=home

If you want to use flexwatt but don't want to take the risk of wiring it yourself. They'll wire it for you, just be sure to add "heat tape connection" to your shopping cart, and write in the comments how you want the flexwatt cut and wired (length/quantity).

The What Company question has been popping up a lot. I don't think it would hurt to sticky that bit of info.

I like flexwatt better than heat cable especially for a rack system because the tubs slide right over the flexwatt, where as the heat cable you have to run around the tubs instead of under them. As far as saftey with heating they are both good products provided you have a good thermostat.

Im farely certain The Bean Farm and reptilebasics.com will pre-wire your flexwatt order for you. As far as the heat tape the 6 or 10 watt will both work well, you'll want a rheostat or thermostat hooked up the your heat source so you can monitor and adjust the temps.

Im farely certain The Bean Farm and reptilebasics.com will pre-wire your flexwatt order for you. As far as the heat tape the 6 or 10 watt will both work well, you'll want a rheostat or thermostat hooked up the your heat source so you can monitor and adjust the temps.

Okay cool, thanks! :)

CornCob - I have a question. Why not just heat the closet. Buy an oil filled heater and 2 high quality T-stat(one for back up) that way you do not have to worry about fires.

Back