• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Room (closet)

I use heat cable...and the tubs go right on top of it. I use the foil tape to tape it down, and so far (two weeks or so) all is good. I also use a thrmostat that helps control the temps, so it doesn't over heat or melt the tubs.

IMO, heat cable runs the same (if not less) risks as flex watt..and (IMO) if you have no electrical experience the flex watt is more dangerous. I know a little bit about electricity from classes, and some of the people that do youtube videos on flex watt in racks do it wrong. The heat cable comes already made, you tape it down, plug into you thermostat, check temps, and your good to go..very simple.

Also, to explain a bit more. I have only two lines of the cable running under the ends hatchling tubs (6 and 12qt tubs). So only two three inches at the totes end is on the cable.

The link that does flex watt for you, is very neat!! That should be a sticky in the DIY area!

Oh one thing to consider that may also be a factor. I have read that the heat cable uses more energy, than the flew watt. If your looking for energy efficient then flex watt is the way to go.

now im gonna have to search for the answer, i knew i should have written it down

ah ha, here it is, see below ps thanks azhketh for the info

;) Welcome. I was using flexwatt that I had wired myself, but I decided to switch to professionally wired flexwatt after the Pro Exotics fire. I know they still haven't found a cause, but that made me nervous! Upgraded my two cheapie thermostats (repti-500 or something?) to a Herpstat 4 as well.

Question...Are UTH's not plausible in rack systems? I've heard of people using heat mats in racks before, but is it not the best idea or something?

Back