• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake skin fingernails

lisa91681

Lisa420
I was looking for something creative to do with shed snakeskin on the net when I came across snakeskin nails. Apparently people are paying hundreds of dollars to have real shed snakeskin put on their nails....so I gave it a whirl. :)

Attachments

• Scales Nails.jpg
    Scales Nails.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 309
Seriously? Wow! Wish I'd thought of that... Could have made myself a pretty penny!
It looks fun :) You just put the skin on the nail and paint over it?

I put down the base coat of coral first, then I shaped the skin and painted on clear nail polish. While it was still wet I put the skin on and let it dry. Then I painted yellow polish on top of the skin, but I got the brush mostly dry and dabbed it on so it would stick to the ridges. I covered it with like 2 more coats of clear which makes the yellow spread a little, so I touched it up with the yellow on the top. I used skin from the belly on the thumb nail. Glad you like them. :)

Been trying to sell snake skins for months now, dirt cheap, $5 for a whole grocery bag, not one single offer. Once in a while I'll use them for my toe nails, but not my fingers. It's impossible for me to do my finger nails by myself o.o
wish it was more common so I could sell the skins instead of toss them.

Yeah. All my friends thought it was crazy and gross, so I'm not going to be making any money around here from it either. Lol

I read a lengthy article in Vogue I believe on the new trend in manicures and pedicures. Pretty cool idea. The lady who came up with the idea has a neighbor with Ball Pythons, and started getting her shed skins from her. My first thought though was, imagine how many shelters and rescues for reptiles could benefit if even a small portion of each manicure or pedicure using snake sheds went to reptile rescues/shelters. Right? If I recall correctly, they're $300-400 per nail treatment. If some of that could be donated that would be rad. I posted this topic on a blog entry on iherp not too long ago also. If you want to check it out, the Facebook page for the snakeskin nails, get info on the process and treatment etc. check out my blog about real snake skin manicures =] www.iherp.com/visceralrepulsion

Supposedly its really popular in Florida? My roommate has a friend that is asking for her Boa's sheds. I think its probably going to fade fast, but why not try to do something?

Right? I think the first article I read about it, they were doing mani/pedis for $300 a pop in California. Of course that was with the gel, but I saw some tutorials on you tube without the gel. I was really happy with how mine turned out, even without the gel. The colors were inspired by Scales, my oldest, an albino motley corn. :)

I think I am going to try this tonight... I'm intrigued... Looks like it will take a bit of time though... Good thing Calypso shed last week ;-)

I will. I didn't get a chance to do it last night :-( but either tonight or the weekend. My boyfriend is a little weirded out but I don't care :p

Lol, typical. I put a lot of clear coats over it, at least 3 if not more, but people were still weird about it. If you do the clear coats, make sure they each dry completely between coats. Good luck. :)

Mine lasted a little over a week, it would've been longer, but there was something else I wanted to try. Plus, I had a little issue with a piece of skin that wasn't down good enough, only on one finger. I think there was a little excess skin on my cuticle and that's why it didn't want to stick. It would've been an easy fix to trim it and put more clear coat on, but I was ready to move on anyway. I'm totally doing it again though, and experimenting with it. So I would say, less is more. Don't worry about it completely covering the nail, as a matter of fact, keep it just a hair away from the edges and the cuticle (that should fix the sticking issue). Switch things around a bit. I put just a sliver asymmetrically on my pinky, kept the tip solid on my middle, and used belly skin on my thumb, which I loved. :) Play with it. Experiment on one nail first so you don't do the whole thing and hate it. Its probably best to go with a dark base, with a light color on top. I brushed the light color on a napkin first too, and just built up the color lightly, so it would catch on the skin ridges, and the base would shine through. The texture takes a little getting used to, but its cool. :)

Back