• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake skin fingernails

Now that this has been brought up what else can you do with the sheddings? I generally let the kids take them to school for show and tell.

Thank you, and Idk. Maybe if you were an artist, you could use them to add texture to a painting. Especially if you were painting a snake, Lol. It seems like there should be some sort of industrial use for them. I've heard of people frying them, like pork rinds, but that just seems gross. I'm not a fan of pork rinds either though. Lol. I see a lot of crazy things that people make online all the time, like wedding dresses made out of toilet paper, and purses made of pop can tabs. It seems like there should be something creative you could do with snake skins.

... so doing this. I've done the same thing with tiny leaves and such, why did I never think of this??? Thanks for posting that idea.

Funny you posted this, snake skin nails have been HUGE around Vancouver, BC. There was even a news segment on these highly fashionable manicures...they were running right around $300 bucks!

My cousin is the aesthetics instructor at London School of Hairdressing and Aesthetics in Vancouver, and I actually gave a whole whackload of shed skins to her for her students to play with. Apparently they just went CRAZY for it!

I've done it a few times on myself and I find it works best with sheds from baby snakes. The scales don't lift as high or as easily, so it's not as bad for getting them snagged on stuff. If you could convince a spa or salon to put gel over your nails (the kind they seal with UV light) I'd bet they'd last for WEEKS with no peeling or anything.

I used to have really nice nails but now that I work cleaning full time they are disgusting :( But if I'm ever able to grow them out again I'm going to make my cousin give me a snake skin manicure!!

Oh and as for industrial use, I believe there is a company that lets you send in your snakes sheds, and they will make you a custom phone case or whatever, and I believe they even donate the profits to USARK, but I'm not sure. I'll look into that!

Ahh here we are:

JKR Gear

And the conservations they have donated to include:
Friends of Saddle Mountain
Small Scale Films
Lakeside Nature Center
Kentucky Reptile Zoo
USARK
Feeding America
Friends of Cape Canaveral Library
Medtoxin

You can also send in your snakes sheds as a donation! DONATE

A very long time ago, because I'm old as dirt, I had one nail done with snake skin. I went with a friend to a cosmetology show. It was cool until I got an infection. Since I was nursing at the time my hands were always clean and I had my nails done every week. Sooo my concern would be bacteria on the snake skin. I have read where snake skin kept for years still had salmonella on it.

Y'know, I did wonder about how hygienic it is. You never know with that kind of stuff. It looks lovely though... Then again, it would be a waste on me, working at an animal park trashes your nails.

Ahh here we are:

JKR Gear

And the conservations they have donated to include:
Friends of Saddle Mountain
Small Scale Films
Lakeside Nature Center
Kentucky Reptile Zoo
USARK
Feeding America
Friends of Cape Canaveral Library
Medtoxin

You can also send in your snakes sheds as a donation! DONATE
Thank you for posting this, I did not know about that. I'll have to start saving skins again. :) An easy solution to the bacteria would be to soak it first in alcohol or something. That should sufficiently sterilize it.

Thank you for posting this, I did not know about that. I'll have to start saving skins again. :) An easy solution to the bacteria would be to soak it first in alcohol or something. That should sufficiently sterilize it.

I was going to say the same thing about that link and I bet you could also use F-10 to clean the shed skins.

Idk what F-10 is, but yeah, I'm sure there's something that you could, and probably should, use to clean them. I'm gonna try again with different colors once my nails grow back out :)

So I did try it. But they didn't come out that good :-( It is hard because I don't have long nails and it took FOREVER TO CUT AND APPLY! But I did it. Lasted a couple of days. You were right about the peeling part I should've cut the pieces smaller but they were soo small already. Plus I have baby snake so her scales were really small. I think I'm going to wait for her to go through a couple more sheds then try it again with her belly skin. I think that will be a little easier to manage. Thanks for the idea though. I hope I have the patience to do it again! Yours came out wayyy better than mine!

Thanks. Sorry it didn't go so well for you. :( I think you're right. The nail size and shed size probably do make a difference. The shed I used was from my 2 1/2 yr old. I think it was about perfect. The belly skin was almost exactly the width of my thumb nail. Maybe you should try again when yours get bigger and your nails are longer. :)

haha it's not a problem. I will be trying it again I think I'm just going to wait until she is bigger. Great idea though.

Back