• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes and Cats

SQUIRT GUN!

Seriously, get a little toy squirt gun and keep it nearby, and squirt him whenever he messes around by the tank. Hilarious AND it works!

Well, I squirted her this morning with the spray bottle (which has nice range, btw. I got her from across the room), and I worked. She shot across the room at full cat speed. I got a little chuckle out of it, too.. heh heh.

Most cats hate to walk on foil, although once it gets old and crinkled, they don't mind so much anymore. It is good for training them to keep off furniture, etc. If that doesn't work, you can buy a Scat Mat (http://www.safepetproducts.com/scat-mat-for-cats-and-dogs.html) to put on top. If the cat steps on it, it will get a little "static electricity" type shock. You can eventually move it to other areas you want to train cats or dogs to avoid, too. Once trained, they won't need it unless they try again.

That's awesome, Kathy. Thanks for the link! I'll have to look into getting some of that stuff, also.

I think my cat must be odd after reading through all of these posts. She will sit and watch Alex's enclosure, then look at me, then back, then at me. Like its my fault its sunny out and my snake is hiding! My roommate does have two cats, one of which is a terror but my cat tends to beat them up if they get to close to "her" snake. I dont own my cat, my cat owns me, and just lets me use my own things out of being nice.

Thank you Kathy I'm going to try the foil tonight, I never knew that!

It's such a task lately trying to keep one of my cats (the naughty tortie, surprise) away from Charlie since he began his bout of spring fever. Fingers crossed it works and I don't have to get a scat mat!

When I got my first 2 hatchlings several years ago, they lived in a small reptile aquarium with the sliding wire mesh top. I knew our cats liked watching the snakes, but didn't realize they liked watching from above until one fatty broke the lid! Came home to an escapee, who was quite small but AMAZINGLY found him a few weeks later. Now my snakes live in tubs on a rack in a room with the door closed (to keep the cats out and keep the warmth in).

Funny thing, I think my cat and snake are best of friends

I'm new to forum, but after checking it out and coming across this, I decided to chime in. Not sure what I am doing is harmful or not but it works for my pets. I got my snake about 1 1/2 yrs ago and my cat about 1 year ago and they've been best of friends to say at least. When my cat is around looking in, the snake wants to come out and play when the cat is around, it's almost like the snake is looking for the cat. I am careful with my corn, but when I bring him out, him and cat will like rub against each other, it's wierd. Just like my dog loves my cat to. They are always rubbing against each other. I think it's all wierd but they all seem to get along. I just think my corn has a great personality and very inquisite with everything and wants to be involved in everything we do here.

Wow, I didn't know about the foil...thanks Kathy! This isn't pretty but I take masking tape and tack it sticky side up, cats don't like to stick to things and it is safe for them. That is how I broke my cat from getting on the tops. When you break them you can take tape off.

Funny you should mention the tape...

There is a product like that - I have seen it advertised for years, but never actually tried it. Sounds like it SHOULD work. If anyone tries it, let me know how it works:

http://www.stickypaws.com/

I'm new to forum, but after checking it out and coming across this, I decided to chime in. Not sure what I am doing is harmful or not but it works for my pets. I got my snake about 1 1/2 yrs ago and my cat about 1 year ago and they've been best of friends to say at least. When my cat is around looking in, the snake wants to come out and play when the cat is around, it's almost like the snake is looking for the cat. I am careful with my corn, but when I bring him out, him and cat will like rub against each other, it's wierd. Just like my dog loves my cat to. They are always rubbing against each other. I think it's all wierd but they all seem to get along. I just think my corn has a great personality and very inquisite with everything and wants to be involved in everything we do here.
When I take my corns out they like to curl up in the cat's fur. I guess they figure it's dark (black cats) so they must be hidden, and warm... I'm like, "neither of you would last a minute in the wild".

Thankyou for comment

Too Funny, that's awesome, I'm glad I'm not to only one out there who is okay with cats and snakes together~

We have this problem too. Until we can put the snake tank in a room with a door, we put a piece of board on top of the tank so Lukie can't tear holes in the screen lid. We squirt him with a squirt gun when he gets near the tank and we watch him like a hawk when we have the snake out.

After living thru mom's story about her cat Cyrus, who died of old age around 1962, I don't DARE trust my cats with my snakes. Cyrus was indoor-outdoor (remember this was the 1950s and that he did die of old age) in FL. He was quite the hunter and specialized in REPTILES!

Anoles, garter snakes, little green snakes were his regular prey. At least once he brought home a dead 12" rattlesnake. Seriously. Not a mark on the cat, according to my dad, and the snake had had its neck broken by a bite right behind the head.

If Cyrus got a baby rattler, I'm not taking any chances!

Back