• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snakes hate dogs?

iloveblastbeatz

I took my snake out for a bit and my dog so happened to be in the room with me. (Previous to this i was petting my dog) My snake always has been curious with my dog being in the room by sniffing her and crawling on her, but as my snake started slithering toward her i laid my hand in front of him so he would go on my hand so i could pick him up but instead he bit me! my guess is that he thought of my dog as a threat and not knowing the difference of my hand and the dog, he bit me. He has never bit me before and after washing my hands he seemed his same calm self and never bit me since. Does anyone else think there is another reason for him biting me??

He thought you were food, and said "humm, this yummy smelling thing just came into my vision, why don't I take a bite?" Just a thought.

If you had been petting the dog, that's exactly what happened. It perceived the dog as a predator. Your hand just got in the way.

My snake always has been curious with my dog being in the room by sniffing her and crawling on her

Please be a responsible pet owner and keep your snake off and away from your dog. This is not a good thing for both animals. They are not friends nor will they ever be friends. Plus your dog can harm your snake if you are not careful. Never ever predict what a dog can and will do. He might be fine one moment and the next shaking your snake around like a piece of Rope.

Its always better to be safe than sorry.

Please be a responsible pet owner and keep your snake off and away from your dog. This is not a good thing for both animals. They are not friends nor will they ever be friends. Plus your dog can harm your snake if you are not careful. Never ever predict what a dog can and will do. He might be fine one moment and the next shaking your snake around like a piece of Rope.

Its always better to be safe than sorry.

If you know your dog will info you shouldn't ever have that happen. My dog doesn't care if the snake is on her or not. Heck in the winter time the cats will lay on top of her to stay warm and one of the cats will give my dog messoges. Its pretty fun to watch.

My snake doesn't act like the dogs are animals. She doesn't flinch or shy away from them. The few times that they were near enough to touch the snake treated them like furniture.
My dogs don't act like the snake is an animal. These are dogs that will chase anything that moves if allowed. If the snake is on the ground or floor they pay no attention to it, don't even watch it, even walk away.
I have never understood either behavior.

If you know your dog will info you shouldn't ever have that happen. My dog doesn't care if the snake is on her or not. Heck in the winter time the cats will lay on top of her to stay warm and one of the cats will give my dog messoges. Its pretty fun to watch.

Doesn't matter how well you think you know your dog. They are still animals and some times react in unpredictable ways. People that have had dogs as pets for years were surprised when the dog bit a child that it's been around it's whole life. Better safe than sorry and keep the snake away from the dog.

To the OP, the snake probably bit you out of fear. Snakes are just as unpredictable as any other animal, it may never bite you then one day, "surprise!".

I have been able to pose a few snakes with one of my dogs for pictures (albeit, not good ones). The snakes (from Woma to corn) don't seem mind, it's usually the dog who is too "curious." Quick sniffs and snorts get a snake uneasy quickly. Also, getula kings and black milks sometimes think that dogs smell tasty!

Did the snake bite and let go or did he hang on and try to wrap? That would be how to tell if it was a fear/defensive bite or a "i think its food" bite. I think it would be a very ambitious corn to think he could eat something that much larger than itself so I am guessing it was a defensive thing.

Doesn't matter how well you think you know your dog. They are still animals and some times react in unpredictable ways. People that have had dogs as pets for years were surprised when the dog bit a child that it's been around it's whole life. Better safe than sorry and keep the snake away from the dog.

To the OP, the snake probably bit you out of fear. Snakes are just as unpredictable as any other animal, it may never bite you then one day, "surprise!".

I'm with you, Becky... no matter how well you know them.... they can turn for whatever reason... I watched a dog kill a kitten... took one toss of his head. He lived with cats for years, grew up with them... this was a stray that showed up and I have no idea why he turned on this poor thing, but there was absolutely nothing I could do... it was over before I could even comprehend what I was seeing. Right or wrong, it definitely affected my view of the dog :(

Dogs are what their owners make them into be. I don't believe there is ever a 'no reason' answer to dogs suddenly becoming violent after years of passive behavior. Something triggers the dog to lash out; anxiety, fear, insecurity, or pain. It's the same concept with your children as it is with your snake. Just because the dog tolerates getting crawled on, sat on, its ears pulled, tail bitten, doesn't mean it enjoys it. And I can certainly see where I dog would grumble and even lash out (ie bite) when it had enough; that's what it would do with a puppy. It's just that people are softer than dogs.

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that is always the case. But I am saying that dogs aren't as unpredictable as people think they are. If you know the natural behaviors of a dog then they're even less unpredictable.

Then there are some dogs that are trained by the other, whether intentionally or unintentionally to be agressive. For some it is hardwired into their genetics and takes a firm "pack leader" (ie the owner) to be sure the dog is properly controlled at all times and knows its manners.

As for the incident with the kitten; I see two possible reasons for why that dog could have killed it. First: It was unintentional on the dog's part, he was intending to play and got too rough. You didn't say if he was acting agressive (ie growling, snarling) or not, so that was the first conclusion I came to. Second: As you said it was a stray that the dog may have percieved as a threat. Some dogs tend to become very territorial and even though we see it as a cute, harmless kitten, the dog may view it differently.

Now I wasn't there so I can't say for certain what happened with the dog. But I highly doubt the dog just decided to be bad and kill a poor kitten. Dogs are instinctive creatures. They do what comes naturally and for that matter the dog could very well have gone into predator mode and saw the kitten as prey. :shrugs: So you see there are reasons.

I've had my blue heeler since she was almost seven weeks old, which was 6-7 years ago. I know I can trust her with my snakes, she knows they're my 'babies' and if something is my 'baby' then she makes sure it is well taken care of. The only time I've ever seen her get rough with any other animal is when a new puppy is introduced; and that is easily explained by her establishing a pecking order (which is very natural, predictable dog behavior).

As for putting the snakes near the dogs, that's for each individual to decide. To weigh their dog's behaviors, attitude, etc against the snake's own quirks. The only snake that gets to go by either of our dogs is Mali and my blue heeler is the only dog that gets to sniff Mali, neither seem effected, though after first introducing my older snake Nome (she nipped the dog's nose), my dog is much more wary and won't get close to the snake.... she sniffs from a distance. :p Murrey, our young, hyper dog has no snakes priviledges due to the 'young, hyper' part. I don't want him to think we're offering down a toy. So really I think it boils down to common sense. :)

To the OP... next time wash your hands before handling your snake. If she seems to dislike the dog or the dog scent then thoroughly washing your hands will make her more comfortable. I know Mali doesn't like purell so I dont use it before handling her, I run upstairs and wash my hands. Another thing is maybe if you're putting your hand in front of her, the action (depending on if it was a fast or slow motion) may have startled the snake. Next time try to put your hand underneath her, rather than blocking her, do it slowly and if you need to readjust her, do so, but once again make sure it's slow so she doesn't get startled.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I happen to know more about dogs than snakes, so for once I feel like I had something useful to contribute! ;)

Sorry for the lengthy post. I happen to know more about dogs than snakes, so for once I feel like I had something useful to contribute! ;)

I have to disagree, there should be no reason why you should consider putting your animals together. seriously, its not a need of the animals but Man's own ego.
And I have seen friendly dog's attack people and even one of my dogs attack someone that was a calm passive dog. Dogs can and will attack when they are not in the mood to be bothered. So why even take the chance. In the wild they are natural enemies, a snake will flee from a dog. I don't see why place the animal in that stressful situation.
Would you let your Cat play with your pet rat, hamster or parakeet?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I don't have a habit of putting my animals together. If I'm holding Mali and my girl comes over and wants a sniff she's allowed to sniff. I know she isn't going to attack the snake, she has no reason too and I would never put her OR my snakes in a position that would make her need to react in an agressive manner. That is common sense.

And I do know that dogs don't just randomly attack things for the fun of it. All I was saying is that there are PLENTY of reasons. As I think I showed in reguards to Weebonilass's post.

Oh and I'm not sure what it was you were disagreeing about in that quote box... the fact that I know about dogs and snakes (suggesting I know nothing) or that I really didn't have anything useful to contribute. Either way, I found it quite hurtful and offensive, especially when all I was doing is trying to add a different perspective.

Oh and I'm not sure what it was you were disagreeing about in that quote box... the fact that I know about dogs and snakes (suggesting I know nothing) or that I really didn't have anything useful to contribute. Either way, I found it quite hurtful and offensive, especially when all I was doing is trying to add a different perspective.

Nah we are cool, I understand what you are saying.
But I say no to this cause most people who want to put animals together are typically kids or people who are not sure on how to handle an animal being aggressive. so i say no, better safe than sorry.

And I do know that dogs don't just randomly attack things for the fun of it. All I was saying is that there are PLENTY of reasons. As I think I showed in reguards to Weebonilass's post.

This dog is on a farm and we have people dropping off cats/kittens without notice all the time. Why she went after that particular kitten when she never bothers any of the others, is beyond me. I've even seen her share a bowl of food with others. So whatever set her off was outside of my understanding. I had no reason to suspect that she would react in that way, just as something could set the dog off in this case. They are living, breathing, thinking animals, which means they could do the unpredictible.

Just like they say in the horses... the only dead-broke horse is a dead one.

I'm going to side on Em Wright on this. You have to know each of your pets behaviors before you let them be close to each other. Like he said he doesn't let his younger dog around the snake because the dog is to hyper. If I was to leave my snake in the open with my dog in the same room I KNOW my dog would maybe lift her head look at the snake if it was moving then lay her head back down. I know 100% that my dog would never ever in its life hurt anther animal. Yes I have seen her chase rabbits when she younger but thats just a thing any dog will do just cause they see it as a game of "cat and mouse". I've seen her chase one one time hit it with her paw stopped and wanted for the rabbit to start running again. I am the same way I know more about dogs then I do about snakes so I still learning new things about them all the time. I took my dog to dog class for 4 years when I was in high school in 4h and I've had her for 11 years sense she was 6 weeks old. So know I'm trying to learn as much as possible about snakes sense I now have 3 of them so I can take care of them properly.

He? I'm a she. ;) But thanks for understanding what I was saying. I think my post was just a bit long and I did kind of tend to ramble, so I can see where folks didn't quite follow very well or didn't read all of it. Some just are busy and don't have time to decphier everything, especially in a long post. That was my bad. ;)

Weebonilass... I wasn't there so I don't know all the circumstances or anything. I was mostly using the story you offered as an example. I hope you didn't mind. :)

Back